Rambow 360

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I received this email yesterday and I'm wondering if you feel the same way about it that I do:

" I have in my possession a second owner original H. J. Rambow Cue.* This particular cue was shown in an article from a June 1989 Pool and Billiard magazine (of which I have a copy).* It is ivory jointed, fancy 4-spliced and inlaid with Coraline, Zera, Dagaine, Sapote, Cocobolor, Amaranth, Mahogany, Rosewood and Ebony.*

The shaft has spliced Ebony on the tip and the butt has a flattened area (for crocheting the ball, legal shot up to 1930) which is covered in Abalone shell.* The cue is dated to 1903 but was made up to 1915.* This cue was made by Rambow while employed by Brunswick and is considered the most rare cue in existence.*

At one time it was listed in the Blue Book of Cues.. as Model 360 top end price of $11,500 and poor condition at $5,000.00.* The cue I have is in excellent condition.*
Such handmade craftsmanship with several almost extinct woods is non-existent in todays market.* Ebony shaft with ivory ferrule and a pair of full spliced ebony points with two veneers and inlaid rainbow shaped colored veneers between points spliced into double maple butterfly points, ivory joint rings in shaft and butt, four series of four full spliced ebony pints with two veneers and inlaid rainbow shaped colored veneers between pints, ebony butt sleeve with triangular mother of pearl name plate with two veneers"

end of transmission

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Yes.. and it looks like a standard 360. As far as his fluff, I stopped telling people how incorrect they are, they just refuse to listen.

JV

I received this email yesterday and I'm wondering if you feel the same way about it that I do:

" I have in my possession a second owner original H. J. Rambow Cue.* This particular cue was shown in an article from a June 1989 Pool and Billiard magazine (of which I have a copy).* It is ivory jointed, fancy 4-spliced and inlaid with Coraline, Zera, Dagaine, Sapote, Cocobolor, Amaranth, Mahogany, Rosewood and Ebony.*

The shaft has spliced Ebony on the tip and the butt has a flattened area (for crocheting the ball, legal shot up to 1930) which is covered in Abalone shell.* The cue is dated to 1903 but was made up to 1915.* This cue was made by Rambow while employed by Brunswick and is considered the most rare cue in existence.*

At one time it was listed in the Blue Book of Cues.. as Model 360 top end price of $11,500 and poor condition at $5,000.00.* The cue I have is in excellent condition.*
Such handmade craftsmanship with several almost extinct woods is non-existent in todays market.* Ebony shaft with ivory ferrule and a pair of full spliced ebony points with two veneers and inlaid rainbow shaped colored veneers between points spliced into double maple butterfly points, ivory joint rings in shaft and butt, four series of four full spliced ebony pints with two veneers and inlaid rainbow shaped colored veneers between pints, ebony butt sleeve with triangular mother of pearl name plate with two veneers"

end of transmission

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did he offer a sale price on it? I'm guessing he wants $20,000

Oddly enough, the email I posted is verbatim.
At this point I have no idea why they even contacted me.

It kinda sounds like he is trying to sell it

But that sales pitch is off the charts lol

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok kiddies let's start at the beginning.

He has a second owner original Rambow...

Ok, good so far....

The cue was shown in an article from June 89 in P&B...

Ok let me look...
Wait.
The article in the magazine is by Joe Newell and it's about the use of the Mace. It has nothing to do with this cue.
But technically speaking, the article shows an image from a Brunswick cue ad...which shows an illustration of the 360 along with the other cues in the catalog.

It sounds good on paper and its a stretch but I'll let it slide...

..and inlaid with Coraline, Zera, Dagaine, Sapote, Cocobolor, Amaranth, Mahogany, Rosewood and Ebony.

Hmm, I guess it's theoretically possible that he's an expert in distinguishing these special woods, but then why can't he spell them correctly if he knows that much?

Ok don't panic. Maybe he's just a sloppy typist...

So, the Abalone nameplate was used for crocheting?
Isnt that the same as needlepoint and knitting?

Ok maybe he got some historical facts mixed up.
No big deal. He's just an enthusiastic seller trying to give me some historical context....right?

The cue is dated to 1903?? Wow that's pretty old.

So I ask the guy, I says hey guy, who dated it to 1903?
He says he knew the original owner, whom he met about 25 years ago....and he was 98.

So I do some basic math. 98 + 25 = 123
2017 - 123 = 1894
1903 - 1894 = 9

So you're saying that a 9 year old boy bought Brunswick's most expensive cue in 1903? To play with?

Ok, ok maybe it was a gift. Its possible....I guess.

Oh wait. What's that you say? Rambow made it?
Holy cow that's amazing.

But wait. Did Rambow sign it? How do we know HE made it?

There is no actual evidence of Rambow having made it? Ok no biggie, maybe you know something we don't.

Let's just do a little more math...
Rambow was born in about 1882.
Went to work for Brunswick at 14 as a mail boy (1896)
He works for a couple of years as a pee-on then finally makes his way to the wood shop. Let's say 1898.

So, in 1903, Rambow would have been 21 years old with a maximum of 5 years cue making experience, most of which was probably simple turning work...

But Brunswick was letting him build THE 360 cue??

Ok now I smell serious Bullshit...

It's the most rare cue in existence??

Dude. STFU

If it was one of you that sent me the email ...please knock that crap off. Its not flattering.

HUKIT

F* ks Given...Zero
Silver Member
Did he sent any pictures of the cue or just a reference to a picture in a magazine?

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Please understand that by 1900 Brunswick was producing 400,000 cues a year.

And Brunswick employed a literal Army of cue makers at the time, of which Rambow was just one, and he was the newb at that point.

Furthermore, Rambow, once he gained the right amount of experience, specialized in custom spec cues for pro players, not ornamental cues that didn't get used.

He was never an artisan cue maker trying to create artistic cues, he was primarily concerned with making BETTER cues, by finishing and balancing them to the needs of a specific person.

The 360 came along when Rambow was just a kid, so it's most likely that it was the old timers who trained Rambow, that would have dealt with the fancy stuff.

And besides that, Brunswick's main cue factory was actually in Muskegon Michigan not Chicago. So it's entirely feasible that Rambow might not have ever touched a single 360 in his life.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did he sent any pictures of the cue or just a reference to a picture in a magazine?

No pics. Just a reference to an ILLUSTRATION of the cue that appeared in the magazine for a totally non related reason.

jimmyquinella

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
v1.bjsxOTk5MjE7ajsxNzUwNzsxMjAwOzI4MDA7MzYwMA

Maybe Rambo?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I may know who sent this, there is a very similar cue story for some silly thing on eBay, old veteran owned it that was old and may be dead now, appraised and verified by some guy in CA that is also old and hard to reach, a ton of details that added up to nothing you can verify as being an outright lie because every other word is "according to this person you can't reach" or "I think it must be" or "because this is so, this one might be also so". I will check my messages in eBay, I was trying to get this guy to admit he was a bullshit artist. He had like 3-4 paragraphs describing details about the cue, and it all amounted to not a single fact you can nail him on as a fraudulent post as misrepresenting the cue because he said "you should verify the info yourself to make sure it's correct because I am just going by what I was told".

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Send him a bill for your consultation services. He obviously doesn't have much respect for your intelligence, so might as well have some fun with the situation.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Cocobolor, Amaranth, Mahogany, Rosewood and Ebony.*

I would say, with Cocobolor, you should pass. I'm also not fond of cues that do needlework.

And, by the way, who uses an asterisk, without referring to asterisk, later in the document, with an explanation as to what was meant? I realize, there are various types of using footnotes, the easiest, of course, was the abbreviated footnotes we sometimes used in learned institutions, but to use the asterisk with abandon, and no regard? I would pass on that alone.

Then, there is the lack of empirical evidence. Always a pet peeve of mine.

My best advice.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Send him a bill for your consultation services. He obviously doesn't have much respect for your intelligence, so might as well have some fun with the situation.

LOL!

That is a response I have used on several occasions. :D

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thing is, I can understand how easy it is to be lead astray with a few botched facts. Perhaps he just spoke to the wrong people, who lead him to believe whatever.

But holy crap. How you gonna sit there and tell me you have the most rare cue in existence with a straight face lolpool

... As if no cues prior to 1903 still exist Lmao

Goofy bastid