Can You Lose Your Amateur Status - Brian Parks

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Unless I am mistaken both Tony and hunter are established pros. I dont think getting a job would suddenly drop you to am amateur again..

Btw ...hunter is playing in the world 9 ball championship in dohar this week. A far cry from playing for a trophy in an amateur tournament.

A couple of questions for everyone -

Just out of curiosity, what does one have to do to qualify for a slot in the
World 9 Ball championship?

Just another thing to maybe consider: Tiger Woods won the US Amateur Open 3 times
before officially turning pro, but before turning pro he did enter some pro events. At what
point would he have considered a pro? Prior to actually "turning" pro? or after announcing that he was turning pro?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of questions for everyone -

Just out of curiosity, what does one have to do to qualify for a slot in the
World 9 Ball championship?

Just another thing to maybe consider: Tiger Woods won the US Amateur Open 3 times
before officially turning pro, but before turning pro he did enter some pro events. At what
point would he have considered a pro? Prior to actually "turning" pro? or after announcing that he was turning pro?

The first question is fairly easy to answer ..if I read their website correctly
.they held 3 single elimination qualifiers to Ente the main event. The qualifiers were called...first chance...second chance...third chance. So i guess you had 3 chances to make the main event .

The second question is pretty much open to interpretation since there is no pro tour or pro association to determine what exactly does it take to be a pro.

It seems like the main issue with most people is the fact that Brian has won this tournament 5 times. What about the times he did not win it. ? Should whoever beat him in those tournaments also ne banned ?

The second issue is his level of play ...fargo rating. I will admit he is right up there with some low level pros.

The next issue is does holding down a full time job keep you from being a pro ? No. Donny mills is a perfect example. However according to apa guidelines holding down a full time job and not relying on playing pool for your income is one of apa's criteria for bejng rated an amateur. Some people have tried to turn this around and say ...well if xxx pro goes and gets a job he should be classified an amateur. That statement is not logical at all and i use mike dechain as an example.

One criteria none of the brian is a pro posters has mentioned is giving lessons and using that income to help support yourself. Cross that off since Brian does not do that.

Another criteria apa uses is conferring with pro tournament promotors . None of them have declared Brian a pro. Just a bunch of experts on this forum declaring that.

Another criteria would be traveling and playing pro tournaments as most pros do to support themselves . Brian does not do that.

So .....it seems the only legitimate argument people have that think Brian should be a pro is that he plays damn good. He does not meet all the rest of the criteria apa deems necessary to be classified a pro.

I listed 5 criteria that needs to be met according to apa guidelines.

I am going to repeat an analogy I used earlier that every has seemed to not notice.

You are up for a promotion. You must meet 5 criteria. You happen to be better than every one else at one of those criteria but do not meet the other 4. You don't get promoted because you did not nee all the criteria...well neither does Brian .

Lets use this

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
The first question is fairly easy to answer ..if I read their website correctly
.they held 3 single elimination qualifiers to Ente the main event. The qualifiers were called...first chance...second chance...third chance. So i guess you had 3 chances to make the main event .

The second question is pretty much open to interpretation since there is no pro tour or pro association to determine what exactly does it take to be a pro.

It seems like the main issue with most people is the fact that Brian has won this tournament 5 times. What about the times he did not win it. ? Should whoever beat him in those tournaments also ne banned ?

The second issue is his level of play ...fargo rating. I will admit he is right up there with some low level pros.

The next issue is does holding down a full time job keep you from being a pro ? No. Donny mills is a perfect example. However according to apa guidelines holding down a full time job and not relying on playing pool for your income is one of apa's criteria for bejng rated an amateur. Some people have tried to turn this around and say ...well if xxx pro goes and gets a job he should be classified an amateur. That statement is not logical at all and i use mike dechain as an example.

One criteria none of the brian is a pro posters has mentioned is giving lessons and using that income to help support yourself. Cross that off since Brian does not do that.

Another criteria apa uses is conferring with pro tournament promotors . None of them have declared Brian a pro. Just a bunch of experts on this forum declaring that.

Another criteria would be traveling and playing pro tournaments as most pros do to support themselves . Brian does not do that.

So .....it seems the only legitimate argument people have that think Brian should be a pro is that he plays damn good. He does not meet all the rest of the criteria apa deems necessary to be classified a pro.

I listed 5 criteria that needs to be met according to apa guidelines.

I am going to repeat an analogy I used earlier that every has seemed to not notice.

You are up for a promotion. You must meet 5 criteria. You happen to be better than every one else at one of those criteria but do not meet the other 4. You don't get promoted because you did not nee all the criteria...well neither does Brian .

Lets use this

You know, I’ve never known The APA to actually have a criteria when making a decision
about who’s a pro and who isn’t, in the conversations that I’ve had with people in
St. Louis it’s always been that they decide on a case by case basis. One time I was told
(and I quote): “if you’ve ever been paid for playing pool the APA would consider you a pro”.
That turned out to be incorrect. That quote came from a person that at that time was a
little inexperienced as an APA administrator.

I can think of a couple of players that we’ve had here, one stopped playing in pro events
because he lost his sponsor. He came back home played APA, no problem, another one
played in events, wrote for one of the billiard publications, was a house pro, and for a
while he took students. He thought it would be fun to put together a team of his students.
So he did and he played with them in The APA. While he wasn't actively traveling and
competing in pro events on a regular basis they wouldn’t consider him a pro, pro event
every now and then, or a local pro type event that was fine, it seemed to be the travel.
And there have been others.

Brian’s a pretty good pool player, but even in The APA on league night I’ll bet though it
don’t happen often, he does get beat.

Maybe he plays pretty sporty, maybe he’s won a few bucks and a plaque or trophy, he
might even have a sponsor, none of that makes him a pro. So what if it did, who cares?
or more to the point, why would you care?

Last edited:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Brian’s a pretty good pool player, but even in The APA on league night I’ll bet though it
don’t happen often, he does get beat.

Maybe he plays pretty sporty, maybe he’s won a few bucks and a plaque or trophy, he
might even have a sponsor, none of that makes him a pro. So what if it did, who cares?
or more to the point, why would you care?

The APA doesn't seem to have problem with Brian playing in the US Amateur Championship.

The other players in the tournament don't seem to have a problem with Brian playing in the US Amateur Championship.

Year after year - the only people that seem to have a problem with Brian playing (or winning) the US Amateur Championship are the people that it doesn't concern.

Go figure.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The APA doesn't seem to have problem with Brian playing in the US Amateur Championship.

The other players in the tournament don't seem to have a problem with Brian playing in the US Amateur Championship.

Year after year - the only people that seem to have a problem with Brian playing (or winning) the US Amateur Championship are the people that it doesn't concern.

Go figure.

Tap tap tap

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
After watching this match and some others, I'm going to say he's very close to being Pro caliber. The other players I watched were strong players, but a speed below him, at least for this tournament. There's some inconsistencies in his game that a pro level player wouldn't/shouldn't have. I like his game. I don't see a problem with him playing in this venue.

FINALS 2017 US Amateur Championship

realkingcobra

Silver Member
To good to be an amateur, not good enough to make a living as a Pro....seems to me the pay is about the same, so why change? When did being considered to be a Pro by skill level mean you could make a living at Pro level? What does being a Pro even mean, you're better than most, but not better than the best? Only the best of the best are the real Pros anyway, the rest of the Pros that can't make a living playing this game are really no better than the best amateurs anyway....they just like being called "Pro" as it kind of sets them apart from the amateurs, like being called a "short stop"....only they're not playing baseball!!!

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Defining when one turns pro is like that line one must stop "at".
Where is "AT"? Before, on or after?

We had this discussion years (2.5 decades) ago when both APA & BCA players were assembled.
__ Playing local leagues, won tournaments does not make you a pro no matter how many time you win.
__ Playing & winning Regional or National tournaments (eg: APA, BCA, etc) does not make you a pro. But doing so 3 times can but again this depends 3 in a row? 3 out of 4, etc.. Probably not but it does put you UP in the higher league divisions.
__ Winning ANY World tournament will put you into Pro status, even if it's an open invitational.
__ Making a living out of pool, YES.
__ Hustlers? This will always be debatable.

my $0.00002 :cool:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Defining when one turns pro is like that line one must stop "at".
Where is "AT"? Before, on or after?

We had this discussion years (2.5 decades) ago when both APA & BCA players were assembled.
__ Playing local leagues, won tournaments does not make you a pro no matter how many time you win.
__ Playing & winning Regional or National tournaments (eg: APA, BCA, etc) does not make you a pro. But doing so 3 times can but again this depends 3 in a row? 3 out of 4, etc.. Probably not but it does put you UP in the higher league divisions.
__ Winning ANY World tournament will put you into Pro status, even if it's an open invitational.
__ Making a living out of pool, YES.
__ Hustlers? This will always be debatable.

my $0.00002 :cool:

$0.00002 ? I think that might make you a pro