Who is the pro player with the best cueball control today?

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too easy

I have read the replies and shake my head.

To suggest anyone other than Efren is a mistake.

Prior to him, it would be Buddy Hall. IMO Buddy is a great shooter, but it was his cueball control that won him the $$ and the tournaments.

Ken

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have read the replies and shake my head.

To suggest anyone other than Efren is a mistake.

Prior to him, it would be Buddy Hall. IMO Buddy is a great shooter, but it was his cueball control that won him the $$ and the tournaments.

Ken

Ken, if you asked me that question ten years ago I would have to agree with you. At this point in time, Efren is no longer the best player by any means and his cue ball control has suffered along with his shooting percentages. The OP asked for the current best, not the former best.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Just tell me one thing. After the match did Dennis issue a challenge to all the European players who were present? Or did you stick around after the match? Something happened to piss Dennis off. He did tell me about one particular European fan who was yelling at him repeatedly. I wasn't there, so I'm reporting on what Dennis told me. He said all the European players are always complaining about the rack. For some reason he has lost respect for them. Maybe it's all just one of those heat of the moment things.

On the other hand I can't imagine Francisco trying to shark anybody. That's never been his style. Alex on the other hand..........:rolleyes:

No, I didn't stick around, but I'm sure that if Dennis says he offered a challenge that it's true, given that Dennis was in constant action at the Derby. Here are a few reasons why they would have declined.

Sobriety?
While it's pure speculation on my part, it's quite possible that some of those to whom he offered a challenge had consumed modest amounts of alcohol over dinner and that this may have been a factor in their choice not to play.

Wanted to Watch the Final
Certainly Shaw would have wanted to watch the final. Shaw was Melling's roommate at the Derby and they are close friends.

Time of Day
Another factor is the time of day. You may not realize it, but the Melling/Orcullo semifinal lasted until nearly 1:00 AM on Saturday night. Most of the players (Shaw included, because I saw him at the airport on Sunday morning) had early morning flights on Sunday and, for this reason, there was little, if any, time in which to make a match happen. I don't know if the action room was even open at that point.

Hence, I wouldn't read anything into the fact that Dennis' offers to match up were declined. Still, it's hard to imagine anyone other than Jayson daring to match up with the great Orcullo, not even Filler, who had bested DeLuna in action over the course of the Derby.

Finally, you're right, Alex did most of the hollering, with Francisco at his side oohing and aahing, but with a proper level of decorum. Alex, I suspect, was inebriated.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Can we include 3 cushion players? If so, there's this Turkish guy who sure controls the ball he strikes. ;)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it hard, maybe even impossible, to choose a rotation player for this title.

Gotta be a 1p player.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I find it hard, maybe even impossible, to choose a rotation player for this title.

Gotta be a 1p player.

if it we're between those 2
I'd take the top rotation player over a top 1p player
As I seen Rodney Morris torch Scott frost to 350 points at 14.1

If it's limited to only pocket players, which I saw no stipulation of in the op,
It's the 3 c Elite without question

Just my opinion,
Like butt*""*s
We all have one

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
if it we're between those 2
I'd take the top rotation player over a top 1p player
As I seen Rodney Morris torch Scott frost to 350 points at 14.1

If it's limited to only pocket players, which I saw no stipulation of in the op,
It's the 3 c Elite without question

Just my opinion,
Like butt*""*s
We all have one

Just watch this for cue ball control...no pockets, but amazing stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIR4Dua7w_8

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
no one mentioned Carlo Biado? Johann Chua also. these two are the best I have seen when it comes to cue ball control.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dunno...you watch a top 1 p player play for a couple hours and he -every friggin time- leaves the cb on the rail or stuck to a ball...and an object ball within 2 inches of his hole- for hours?

That is true control, to me. You don't get that in any other game.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say Orcollo. He took down Frost in a big one pocket match and had the high run at DCC straight pool.

Last edited:

Wheels33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m getting back into the game. I would like to hear everyone’s opinion on this. There are certain players that can almost put you in stroke just watching them play. A couple examples off the top of my mind would be Buddy and Mike Sigel. They played the game the right way- always on the right side of the ball. It was almost like they were playing a different game!

Hands down it’s Mark Selby

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, I didn't stick around, but I'm sure that if Dennis says he offered a challenge that it's true, given that Dennis was in constant action at the Derby. Here are a few reasons why they would have declined.

Sobriety?
While it's pure speculation on my part, it's quite possible that some of those to whom he offered a challenge had consumed modest amounts of alcohol over dinner and that this may have been a factor in their choice not to play.

Wanted to Watch the Final
Certainly Shaw would have wanted to watch the final. Shaw was Melling's roommate at the Derby and they are close friends.

Time of Day
Another factor is the time of day. You may not realize it, but the Melling/Orcullo semifinal lasted until nearly 1:00 AM on Saturday night. Most of the players (Shaw included, because I saw him at the airport on Sunday morning) had early morning flights on Sunday and, for this reason, there was little, if any, time in which to make a match happen. I don't know if the action room was even open at that point.

Hence, I wouldn't read anything into the fact that Dennis' offers to match up were declined. Still, it's hard to imagine anyone other than Jayson daring to match up with the great Orcullo, not even Filler, who had bested DeLuna in action over the course of the Derby.

Finally, you're right, Alex did most of the hollering, with Francisco at his side oohing and aahing, but with a proper level of decorum. Alex, I suspect, was inebriated.

Thanks Stu, I like to keep up with Dennis and his doings as he is a very good friend of mine. We just enjoy each other's company away from the table as well as playing around together (he likes to give me 5-4 at Banks and make me suffer). People don't know but Dennis has a great sense of humor and is a really good man. He is very gracious, very polite and kind to people wherever we go and that is not lost on me. Everyone wants to come to my house when Dennis is there. People who know him love being around him. That said, he is a very proud self made man. Don't let his small stature fool you. He is a fighter to the core.

Don't cross Dennis Orcollo! He will call you out and dress you down. Dennis has a temper. It's controlled but seething inside him. You don't want to be on the receiving end of that. I feel sorry for the pool player who pisses Dennis off. He will shoot your nuts off if you make him mad. That's his way of settling the score. All the top pool players are aware of this and they treat Dennis with the utmost respect, as well they should.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thanks Stu, I like to keep up with Dennis and his doings as he is a very good friend of mine. We just enjoy each other's company away from the table as well as playing around together (he likes to give me 5-4 at Banks and make me suffer). People don't know but Dennis has a great sense of humor and is a really good man. He is very gracious, very polite and kind to people wherever we go and that is not lost on me. Everyone wants to come to my house when Dennis is there. People who know him love being around him. That said, he is a very proud self made man. Don't let his small stature fool you. He is a fighter to the core.

Don't cross Dennis Orcollo! He will call you out and dress you down. Dennis has a temper. It's controlled but seething inside him. You don't want to be on the receiving end of that. I feel sorry for the pool player who pisses Dennis off. He will shoot your nuts off if you make him mad. That's his way of settling the score. All the top pool players are aware of this and they treat Dennis with the utmost respect, as well they should.

Dennis is one of the superstars of this era and has the highest respect of all fans and pros, including the European ones. He is, by any reasonable assessment, a future BCA Hall of Famer. He'll be eligible pretty soon, too. Perhaps you'll introduce him when the day comes.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All good stuff, Jay, but I look back at a match vs SVB a few years ago where he looked away when SVB went to shake hands. As a pro, I understand his competitive nature. But show some respect. I lost some respect for Dennis after that display.

millikenb

Registered
Snooker and Chinese 8 ball attracts the best players.

You guys really should get outside your bubbles once and a while.
For best shot makers in the world: Just look at the top five in the world snooker standings.
For best cue ball control: Just look at the top 5 in Chinese 8 ball.

Snooker and Chinese 8 ball is where the big money is in world cue sports.

The attraction of the money in Chinese 8 ball has been irresistible to the top players in other cue sports. But they all have failed to make a dent except for Gareth Potts who moved over from British Blackball..