Thoughts on collectibility

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious what you guys think about future collectability of cues that were owned by well known shortstops as opposed to actual touring pros. Worth more? I have seen a couple recently for sale and wondering if it makes much of a difference. Thanks.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe in the local area it couldn't hurt... but probably not much if any impact.

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i agree, once you leave the short stops zip code, it probably has no bearing on the price at all

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From my observations of the market such provenance does not really boost value much if at all.

I have seen several attempts to get more out of such a cue.

I think that for those that might have a personal connection to such a player I would understand assigning more value, but the same can be true of your uncle's cue or your grandfather's cue. It's sentimental.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find folks collect the wrong stuff.

Meucci cues ? Really? To me, it is like collecting beanie babies. They are many things but rare they are not.

I find the price being paid for Southwest cues is crazy. I sold an ebony nosed one just because I couldnt resist the money. They build THOUSANDS of them and at least hundreds of them each year....

If it makes you happy collect anything. But IMO, most folks collect the wrong stuff and get disappointed they arent going up in value.

I collect a few cues, more for sentimental value than much else. I collect guns, coins and have a couple Corvettes. None of them are going to make me much but I dont think I will lose much either.

IMO, collect things that they are few of with some desirability. I explain it like this. When you are collecting coins, you should collect the highest and rarest coins you can afford. I see lots of collections where folks are "filling holes" in the coin book.

JMO

Ken

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find folks collect the wrong stuff.

Meucci cues ? Really? To me, it is like collecting beanie babies. They are many things but rare they are not.

I find the price being paid for Southwest cues is crazy. I sold an ebony nosed one just because I couldnt resist the money. They build THOUSANDS of them and at least hundreds of them each year....

If it makes you happy collect anything. But IMO, most folks collect the wrong stuff and get disappointed they arent going up in value.

I collect a few cues, more for sentimental value than much else. I collect guns, coins and have a couple Corvettes. None of them are going to make me much but I dont think I will lose much either.

IMO, collect things that they are few of with some desirability. I explain it like this. When you are collecting coins, you should collect the highest and rarest coins you can afford. I see lots of collections where folks are "filling holes" in the coin book.

JMO

Ken

Collect what you like, and like what you collect.

Telling people what they should collect, like rare coins, is a bit presumptuous.

Now, if they have some mistaken beliefs about their collecting, nothing wrong with lending them an experienced opinion.

If people like Meucci cues and want to collect them, then fine. If they enjoy it, then fine.

If they are delusional about values a kind word might be helpful.

But if they are just enjoying collecting something, why try to insult them?

Last edited:

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When investing in cues only pay why you can afford to lose because ultimately you will lose. I think the only people making money on cues are the players flipping new SW cues.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Collect what you like, and like what you collect.

Telling people what they should collect, like rare coins, is a bit presumptuous.

Now, if they have some mistaken beliefs about their collecting, nothing wrong with lending them an experienced opinion.

If people like Meucci cues and want to collect them, then fine. If they enjoy it, then fine.

If they are delusional about values a kind word might be helpful.

But if they are just enjoying collecting something, why try to insult them?

No insult intended. I have made the same mistakes over the years and at 54 years old, I hope I have learned a few things. I wish someone had given me the above advice years ago and I would have been much better off financially.

Ken

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes cues once owned by well known shortstops are worth a lot. I have a cue once owned - and signed - by the well known shortstop Eddie Dufferin which I'd be willing to sell at the right price. The guy at the pawn shop had no idea what he had.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes cues once owned by well known shortstops are worth a lot. I have a cue once owned - and signed - by the well known shortstop Eddie Dufferin which I'd be willing to sell at the right price. The guy at the pawn shop had no idea what he had.
Good luck with that...

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No insult intended. I have made the same mistakes over the years and at 54 years old, I hope I have learned a few things. I wish someone had given me the above advice years ago and I would have been much better off financially.

Ken

I didn't mean to say you were insulting. It was more of a rhetorical question.

Sorry if it sounded otherwise.

I did quote your post so I can see how it might sound like I was saying that. I wasn't.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think cues owned by shortstops or even average pro players has any
big effect on the price

just my guess,but I am the guy who wouldn't buy Willie mosconi's Balabushka from him