SVB vs Corey D racking issue

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it seemed obvious that SVB didn’t like his rack inspected. I could see him feeling sore about that after the DCC episode. Warranted or not, that has to get old. Plus Corey’s break just prior was monsterous. Corey has his own racksmithing history. So perhaps there was something more afoot either in Corey’s break or in the etiquette between pros. I don’t want to speculate too much because I wasn’t there in person, didn’t hear their dialog, and don’t know what is going on in their lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None of this stuff matters. The TD need to put these guys in their seats period .Went through this with Jeff Carter playing Benny Conway.Benny wouldnt break the way Jeff was racking ,so I racked . Jeff blew up until I reminded him I gave out the prize money.This racking crap is another reason pool will never be upper tier sport.The players need to police themselves and TD,S need to put them in their place.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this the tournament where Shane had his room broken into?
....could be where the anger came from.
...knowing someone there was probably the culprit.

not to beat a dead horse, but i think the thief was almost certainly a female hotel employee.

they left what couldn't walk out with them in a purse at the end of the day.

the expensive travel bag is what i think initially made shane a target. google may have done the rest.

the question for me is did they get lucky that he wasn't wearing his watch, or was somebody looking out for it, which would indicate a deeper conspiracy?

i wonder if he was wearing it when he checked-in.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way to solve the racking problem in alternate break formats is to insert a mandatory push after the break.

If the breaker makes a ball(s), he must push or opt to give the incoming player the shot as it lies. If the incoming player opts out, the shot returns to the breaker.

If the breaker doesn't make a ball on the break, the incoming player has the option of taking the first shot or giving the shot back to the breaker. Either player is allowed to push on the first shot of the game.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way to solve the racking problem in alternate break formats is to insert a mandatory push after the break.

If the breaker makes a ball(s), he must push or opt to give the incoming player the shot as it lies. If the incoming player opts out, the shot returns to the breaker.

If the breaker doesn't make a ball on the break, the incoming player has the option of taking the first shot or giving the shot back to the breaker. Either player is allowed to push on the first shot of the game.

Or just use a template.

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't see anything wrong with the way Shane racked that rack at all! Corey did lots more fiddling around with his rack the first game! As already mentioned, this may simply be about Shane scratching on the break and likely being down 2-0 with Corey breaking in alternate break format. Without having been there to hear what was said, no way to know.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or just use a template.

I would say that, but they all complain that the template can be rigged, too.

If the incoming player has first option on the shot after the break, then there is no reason to complain about anything. If you screw it up, it's on you. You can't complain that the rack had anything to do with it.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could have something to do with the rack itself. It looks like they are using one of those cheap thin plastic ones. For someone like Shane that is probably an insult on a streaming table. I would look for another rack myself.

Maybe it had nothing to do with Corey. It could be he didnt want to play on equipment like that where his biggest weapon of racking is taken away.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
My guess - In a smaller event such as this, it would seem to me a matter of respect / etiquette between two top pro players, that if one player doesn't check his opponent's rack, the other player should reciprocate. Cory immediately got up to check Shane's first rack, after Shane had not checked Cory's first rack.

In addition to that, on a bar table with what appears to be big pockets, and an alternate break format, when scratching on the break, SVB knew he likely was going to be down 2-0 with Cory's turn to break the next rack, so he was going to be facing a considerable uphill battle to win this match anyway. Obviously he wanted to make a point to Cory exactly what he thought of his checking his racks, in that situation. Can't really say I blame him for being a little upset.

It appears SVB is a little sensitive. Anyone know of what the recent history is between these 2 players regarding racking or any other disagreements?

Respect and etiquette between pros? :rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Templates can be manipulated and have been at the US Open 9-ball.

How exactly were templates manipulated? I guess we are lucky in Europe,we basically use racking templates in ALL tournaments except for 14.1 and we are all good,rarely you see any disagreement about the racking,it is just sometimes that it is really hard to rack the balls due to old racking template or really worn cloth. Basically it doesnt matter who is racking (rack your own or rack for your opponent),the other player can check the rack any time and we dont care because in 99% the rack is really tight. And with 9 on the spot+kitchen rule in 9ball you really need some skill to break them good even with racking template ;)

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The TD need to say if its rack your own the opponent needs to sit their *** in the seat and stay there till its their turn.Rack your own doesn't mean tell your opponent how to rack.

Makes no difference if it’s rack your own, opponent racks, neutral available player racks or referee racks - if racking is suspect then a player should be able to question it and, if it can’t be resolved, get the opinion of the TD and/or head referee. Happens all the time all over the world and it’s usually friendly, usually resolved easily and rarely a problem. If a player (the racker or the non-racker) is angle shooting then that’s where the refs and the TDs have a decision to make. That’s why they are there - to do their job, not to say sit the f down and shut the f up. The TD is there for the players, it’s not the other way round.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the more important question is wtf are pro’s playing on big pocket valleys?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like both guys so I’m not picking to be a hater but no player should be up standing beside the table when another is dropping down into his stance to break. That’s basic manners you learn as a new player. If you want to be there while he’s racking it’s one thing but sit your ass down when he’s at the head of the table getting ready to break.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the more important question is wtf are pro’s playing on big pocket valleys?

If the TD calls it a ProAm and a lot of amateurs fill the field, a couple pros might as well show up and earn a paycheck. Corey won the event last year and I heard the commentators say this event was only 2 hours from where SVB lives. I noticed in the earlier matchup of Corey and SVB during the tournament their body language appeared sluggish, almost lackadaisical. I thought at the time that perhaps they didn’t necessarily want to be there. Heck, Corey was shooting in his jammies.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the TD calls it a ProAm and a lot of amateurs fill the field, a couple pros might as well show up and earn a paycheck. Corey won the event last year and I heard the commentators say this event was only 2 hours from where SVB lives. I noticed in the earlier matchup of Corey and SVB during the tournament their body language appeared sluggish, almost lackadaisical. I thought at the time that perhaps they didn’t necessarily want to be there. Heck, Corey was shooting in his jammies.

the sad state of pool is they have to show up at an event like this to earn a pay check :(

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the sad state of pool is they have to show up at an event like this to earn a pay check :(

It would be nice if they could earn a living only ever playing in Matchroom Sports conditions. But I think professionals snapping of regional ProAms, outrunning the nuts in action, and giving overpriced lesson is a American as apple pie for pool. But it is sad that it can’t evolve beyond that.

poolscholar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way that you make the wing ball breaking from near the center like Shane is to leave the very back ball loose. If you watch him rack, at the very last try you'll see his hands aren't on the back ball and he pushes the rack forward.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Templates can be manipulated and have been at the US Open 9-ball.

Maybe they need a racking clock so they can't stand there doctoring the rack. 1 ball on the spot first and then you have 15 seconds to finish racking.

In this case Shane didn't quit when Corey checked the rack. Shane went ahead and broke but scratched. He then raked the balls and conceded the game but sat down in his chair. He didn't unscrew until Corey turned around and said something to him.

I suspect this was a continuation of something that happened earlier in the tournament. Shane wasn't doing anything other than spin the balls at the bottom of the rack to get a right rack which is just standard racking. Corey must have gotten on his nerves earlier.