The Reality of Revo Shafts.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just talked to a great player who has a revo shaft and he said it took a couple months to get used to it. Heck, he already is great player. My first thoughts were, I don't need a $ 500.00 shaft, probably $ 500.00 worth of lessons to get my game closer to the game this guy has.
I have a wonderful cue, a wrapless Runde. It is a simple looking cue on order of a sneaky pete. I love it and shoot great with it. A professional player hit a couple of racks with it, what he could do with this cue was simply amazing.
The cue will only improve if I do.

Most instructors are worthless to players that are beyond B to B+ skill levels. That is fact.

Also a fact: On the other hand, there are a few (very few mind you) that are worth their weight in gold no matter what skill level you are.

Efren has had a coach at times so that means ANYONE can benefit from one as long as the coach is one of the "worth their weight in gold" instructors.

Bottom line:

The $500 is better spent on the shaft unless you are "very certain" your instructor is one of the very few golden vessels.....

As for the money, LOL.........most instructors this day in time will eat your $500 very quick and be gone leaving you with the same game (or worse than) you had beforehand.

A friend of mine charges $190 per hour with a minimum depending on the distance he has to travel to get there. Even if you travel to his house, he has a minimum of hours at the $190 per hour.

He knows who he is and he knows how I feel about it.

And yes, we are still friends and always will be. I'm honest and straightforward and he accepts that which is why I tell him all the time he is ripping people off. He usually replies "a fool and their money will soon _______" (part ways).

Rake

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how many of the people who've responded and said something derogatory about the Revo Shaft have ever played with one.

Hey, never let facts or an absence of experience get in the way of speaking with authority, LMAO!

So very true.

I hope your game is getting better and better.

BTW, post a vid or two in the ghost challenge thread with the rest of us. We need more participants.

The more participants there are the more different styles of stroke, stances, equipment....etc..etc we see. Not to mention from time to time we actually get advice that is good and helps our games.

Like I was told, "give it a go, no matter how well or bad you may play". I think it is one of the best things I have done to help make myself accountable. Especially after changing to the Revo.

Beating the ghost to death or getting beat to death by the ghost .....no matter, post up.

I will be looking forward to seeing you in there,

Rake

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most instructors are worthless to players that are beyond B to B+ skill levels. That is fact.

Also a fact: On the other hand, there are a few (very few mind you) that are worth their weight in gold no matter what skill level you are.

Efren has had a coach at times so that means ANYONE can benefit from one as long as the coach is one of the "worth their weight in gold" instructors.

Bottom line:

The $500 is better spent on the shaft unless you are "very certain" your instructor is one of the very few golden vessels.....

As for the money, LOL.........most instructors this day in time will eat your $500 very quick and be gone leaving you with the same game (or worse than) you had beforehand.

A friend of mine charges $190 per hour with a minimum depending on the distance he has to travel to get there. Even if you travel to his house, he has a minimum of hours at the $190 per hour.

He knows who he is and he knows how I feel about it.

And yes, we are still friends and always will be. I'm honest and straightforward and he accepts that which is why I tell him all the time he is ripping people off. He usually replies "a fool and their money will soon _______" (part ways).

Rake

You have no idea about what you are talking about. I've had a lesson from a world champion and it changed my game.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have no idea about what you are talking about. I've had a lesson from a world champion and it changed my game.

Omg.....you again.

Lol.....reading is not your strong suit I see.

I said "some instructors" are worth their weight in gold. It sounds like you had lessons from one of them.

Reading comprehension is key.

Rake

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there is no wine worth a price of more than $10 a bottle and there is no cue shaft worth $500............................

Kim

Lol...a connoisseur of the finer things. I find it extremely rare that I encounter a bottle of wine worth drinking that is $10 or under. I've had wines over $750 a bottle. I sure as hell didn't buy it haha. It was an '85 Lafite, and it was exquisite. Only my wallet says it isn't worth the money. Wait no...a lack of interest in wine, an unsophisticated pallet, and/or the contents of my wallet would probably all be factors in saying such a thing. Oh, and of course the rarity of bottles...once they are made in a given vintage, that's it. If I could afford it, I'd certainly enjoy trying pricey wines. I've long ago learned that my own meager wallet really doesn't set the price or the value of the items out there for purchase in the world.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
For what it's worth, I bought a Revo shaft two days ago and have been playing mostly straight pool over here in Germany. I absolutely love the way it hits, and in the very short time I have been playing with it, I have multiple 30+ ball runs.

Admittedly, around this same time period, I spent a few hours watching Dave Sapolis instructional material on Youtube, and that is definitely part of the equation, getting me into the third rack successfully. At the end of the day, what is true is that with this Revo shaft in my hands, I now feel for the first time in my life that I have a legitimate chance to run a hundred balls in straight pool, with a little practice.

Short Bus Russ

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how many of the people who've responded and said something derogatory about the Revo Shaft have ever played with one.

Hey, never let facts or an absence of experience get in the way of speaking with authority, LMAO!

This is what i’ve Said on here numerous times lol If you hit balls with the revo and don’t like it that’s cool. What you like or don’t like in a cue is a very personal thing. But saying a revo is junk and nothing different and you’ve never hit a ball with it is just being a nit.

The funny thing is I haven’t read a single comment on any of the revo threads where someone says they were a c player and a day later after using it they were an a player. It’s all the old heads on here that seem to hate change or technology that our saying that. You know the same guys that 25 years after gloves came out and have seen some of the best players in the world use them still make idiot comments that they will never lose to a guy who wears one. Lol

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Another nit comment.. He didn’t say all he said most. Being good at a game like pool or golf and being able to teach someone to be good our 2 very different things. Your best golf instructors were never world champions. They are just good at tearing down your fundamentals and helping you fix the flaws.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Me

I have never played with a revo shaft , but I wouldn't expect the Revo shaft to be any different then any other man made shaft as in sound and feel.
Its just not going to sound like solid maple and that's enough to make me not care for the shaft..

Any cue manufacture that doesn't buy decent to top grades of maple dowels and get the wood time to move and cure to make cue shaft out of it is going to have issues with the shafts warping.

I don't know if Maple wood grows in china , but the issue of china importing maple, then sitting on the maple wood for a couple of years I don't think is going to happen .

To get a wooden shaft out of china that does wrap is rare .
Not talking about fiberglass resin reinforced shafts just plain solid maple ..

To stay in the cue making game allot of production cue manufactures started making fiberglass reinforced shafts or making laminated cue shafts .

Problem there was some of those LD laminated shaft makers were using lower grades of maple or maple veneers and there cues were still warping.

Personally I believe all these new fangled shafts came about because mainly china couldn't make a shaft that didn't warp ..
They had to come up with something different and then stuck the gimmick of LD on it to market the shafts ...
A cue maker can sand a shaft taper to match the players feel .
In the beginning Efren wanted nothing to do with LD shafts ..

Gina cues sits on his shaft wood for ten years ,, some cue makers use salvaged bowling alley wood that's had bowling balls bouncing on it for over 100 years ..

Me I can make my own solid maple shafts on my lathe or CNC and have never cared for anything but natural solid maple .

Also being a cue repairman I have seen how some of these shafts are put together .
Some of the workman ship looks like a 5 year old glued it together .

If the shafts are so good why is so many Revo shafts are hitting the 2nd hand market ?

I have seen some Lucasi Shaft stay some what straight and seems the MEZZ out of Japan sits on there solid maple wood for a couple years to.
Lucasi wooden shafts are made in less then 90 days , if you don't believe that call Lucasi/players warranty ..

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the shafts are so good why is so many Revo shafts are hitting the 2nd hand market ?

Because the demand is so high that people are selling them on the 2nd hand market for more than they paid retail.

Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Revo

Because the demand is so high that people are selling them on the 2nd hand market for more than they paid retail.

Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)

Hi Matt I am glade you like your Revo shaft, The sound and feed back of a Non solid maple shaft does me in .
I find my self looking at the shafts to see if they are cracked .

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis Orcullo bought a P3 Revo and was using it in the Buffalo's 1P tourney, but then switched back to his other non Revo cue.

Interested to see if he will stay with the Revo or not.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Dennis Orcullo bought a P3 Revo and was using it in the Buffalo's 1P tourney, but then switched back to his other non Revo cue.

Dennis left Meucci, went back to his southwest and now back to Meucci. He was playing not so great recently so I think he was looking for a short term magical cure the past month.

I don't see myself switching back, I love my Revo.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dennis runs out and/or plays lock up safeties with plain maple house cues, top tier custom maple cues as well as revo cues.

I've seen him play with all in person many times and it does not matter one bit.

Rake

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never played with a revo shaft , but I wouldn't expect the Revo shaft to be any different then any other man made shaft as in sound and feel.
Its just not going to sound like solid maple and that's enough to make me not care for the shaft..

Any cue manufacture that doesn't buy decent to top grades of maple dowels and get the wood time to move and cure to make cue shaft out of it is going to have issues with the shafts warping.

I don't know if Maple wood grows in china , but the issue of china importing maple, then sitting on the maple wood for a couple of years I don't think is going to happen .

To stay in the cue making game allot of production cue manufactures started making fiberglass reinforced shafts or making laminated cue shafts .

Problem there was some of those LD laminated shaft makers were using lower grades of maple or maple veneers and there cues were still warping.

Personally I believe all these new fangled shafts came about because mainly china couldn't make a shaft that didn't warp ..
They had to come up with something different and then stuck the gimmick of LD on it to market the shafts ...

Gina cues sits on his shaft wood for ten years ,, some cue makers use salvaged bowling alley wood that's had bowling balls bouncing on it for over 100 years ..

Me I can make my own solid maple shafts on my lathe or CNC and have never cared for anything but natural solid maple .

Also being a cue repairman I have seen how some of these shafts are put together .

I have seen some Lucasi Shaft stay some what straight and seems the MEZZ out of Japan sits on there solid maple wood for a couple years to.
Lucasi wooden shafts are made in less then 90 days , if you don't believe that call Lucasi/players warranty ..

I've got a few friends that feel exactly as you do. One of them is a cue maker himself.

He has actually played with one so he actually has personal experience with it to compare to his really high end maple cues/shafts.

He says the revo plays every bit as good but he does not care for the sound/feel.

So I, just like him, understand what your saying and even why your saying it.

Then again, he, like you, is a "cue maker", "cue repair" guy....etc..etc. He knows just like most all "non-production" cue makers that if people keep going the way of revo and becue type cues the average "cue guy's" business will (not may) suffer.

I do not blame you one bit for the way you feel even though you have never hit with one, much less played with one long enough to actually compare "performance".

Again, I understand as much as anyone does but to me, there is performance as in how many times I get the cheese, and there is performance as far as how it feels, sounds, looks etc..etc.

I'll take the performance that leads to more cheese (for me).

YMMV,

Rake

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perfect example right here. Starts out with I never played with a revo shaft but then he’s going to go on and give his opinion of it and how his shaft is better. Lol I don’t care if you make cues or not if you haven’t played with it your opinion means 0

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
What is the "reality" of the Revo shafts?

At this moment it is probably the lowest deflection, commercially available shaft. I haven't tried the Becue, but reports indicate that it's about the same. If you HONESTLY believe that deflection is the biggest problem with your game, then you should probably buy it, I mean, you still have to contend with swerve, throw and SOME deflection, but to some that may be easier. Keep in mind that to take advantage of the natural cancelling of unintended deflection by hitting accidentally off center, or use backhand english, you need to bridge your cue WAAAAY back in Chris Melling territory...I allready do that, so that wasn't too big of a deal for me. If you have an 8 inch bridge, then you may be surprised by the results being not all that favorable on those long, straight-ins.

It's also very slick and dent resistant. Those are probably the shafts best qualities, IMO, though it does pick up crud and needs to be wiped down now and then. I have no idea how they accomplished the slickness, but it's no small feat! I'm extremely impressed with that.

The revo has a very synthetic sound when tapping the butt on the floor (I'm an old-schooler) or hitting the ball. If that stuff bothers you, then you should probably stay clear.

The Revo has a somewhat "muted" feel to the hit. Hard to describe in words, but after a while it stands out more and more. Again, depends on what you like.

As far as I know this shaft cannot be repaired or retapered. So be careful.

I almost bought it right when it came out (untested). I was so happy I didn't, because later extended tests with friends shafts showed me that it definitely wasn't for me. Nor was it for the first person in my country who bought one, who sold it less than a month later, so did several others. I thought I'd be the ideal candidate for this shaft, since I shoot most of my shots with english, but contrary to what I thought it didn't help my shoot those shots any better and to make matters worse, it felt "clumsy" on the delicate shots. This was the first 12.9 version. I later tried the 12.4 but haven't tried it for quite as long. Still don't think it's as sensitive as my Mezz.

All that being said, this is the best (ALL)synthetic shaft I've ever tried, but the price for a shaft being 500 dollars plus, I expect perfection or as close as is humanly possible, and I don't think it's quite there yet. I don't doubt for a second that we'll all be shooting with carbon shafts 15 years from now (if anybody still plays then) because of hardwood shortages. This is a very, very good attempt to match wooden shaft performance even exceeding it in deflection, and I'm extremely impressed with it. That being said, I needed to balance out the people constantly raving about it without disclosing any of the negative aspects of it. If this shaft cost 200 dollars, then I'd be raving about it as well, though I probably wouldn't use it myself.

I heard a rumor that Predator is going to jack the prices up a couple of hundred dollars. At the moment the prices are obscene, and beyond that, I don't even know what words to use.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis left Meucci, went back to his southwest and now back to Meucci. He was playing not so great recently so I think he was looking for a short term magical cure the past month.

I don't see myself switching back, I love my Revo.

Been there done that :)