The Reality of Revo Shafts.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis runs out and/or plays lock up safeties with plain maple house cues, top tier custom maple cues as well as revo cues.

I've seen him play with all in person many times and it does not matter one bit.

Rake

No doubt... but I was told he had just bought the Revo at that tourney and I have never seen him play with a Revo before. Have you? Regardless I agree that he can run out with any cue!

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The revo has a very synthetic sound when tapping the butt on the floor (I'm an old-schooler) or hitting the ball. If that stuff bothers you, then you should probably stay clear.

I have no desire to own a Revo shaft, nor do I like the fact that a piece of carbon fiber could fetch 500+ dollars, I am curious. Could you compare the feel of the hit with the hit of a Cuetec SST shaft?

Maniac (only has one cue that cost over $500...and it was a gift)

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I have no desire to own a Revo shaft, nor do I like the fact that a piece of carbon fiber could fetch 500+ dollars, I am curious. Could you compare the feel of the hit with the hit of a Cuetec SST shaft?

Maniac (only has one cue that cost over $500...and it was a gift)

It is completely different. The Cuetec feels soft, "plasticky" (is that a word?) and funny, like it bends in the wrong places. The Revo feels really, stiff, but not quite like maple. More "sharp" maybe, but at the same time as much feedback.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a chance to shoot a couple racks with 2 different revos tonight at apa cities.

It only took a few shots to kinda figure it out. This comin from a strictly maple shaft guy. Well I have shot some with a 314 a few times.

I could see myself getting one....if the price was not outrageous to me.

JC

Coos Cues
They may be expensive but they make up for it by being ugly

Sure if you're going camping and need an extra tent pole or something to stake the dog to in the yard by all means get one.

JC

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I haven't tried the Becue, but reports indicate that it's about the same.

I've heard the same from several people.

I have it on good authority that the materials & build process of the Becue are far inferior to the Revo.
This person tells me that some of the engineering folks at Revo predict a 2 year life of the Becue (max) at which point the shaft will begin to degrade significantly & rapidly.
I'm not a techie or engineering guy. I'm only repeating what I've been told. -Z-

Cocoa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They may be expensive but they make up for it by being ugly

Sure if you're going camping and need an extra tent pole or something to stake the dog to in the yard by all means get one.

JC

Would you find them ugly if you could make them yourself from scratch like wood?

Back in the day Ebony fronts were common on shafts?

Are you slightly worried that the easily dented, warp-able, blue chalk sucking wood shafts that eventually look like Revo will take some business away from you?

What is your suggestion for the ever decreasing, close grain, maple shaft wood supply?

Have you played with a Revo shaft? What is it about this new technology that has cue makers and cue repair men so afraid?

Early on many said they could not change a tip on one?

I truly hope cue makers keep up with technology and stop criticizing things until they have a better solution.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couple of things

If the technology continues to go forward, it would a great thing to be able to
get a replacement shaft that's is extremely close to the one you have. The
weight the flex, the taper, etc. and would play and feel the same as your
other one. No two wood shafts are the same no matter who the builder.
When you have a tip replaced the second shaft feels plays and hits differently.
As far as be over priced, look at the price of some custom cue builders.
Searing, Black Boar, and others charge and get astronomical prices for even
plain cues, some with no points. Do they play better than other cues ? If not
what are you getting for that much, the plain ones look no better than a $ 450
cue. Why do so many pool players change cues so often. I guess it's not because
of the way it plays but for the same reasons we get new cars and clothes,etc.
we just want something different. It's fun to get a new cue that looks good or
even one you designed yourself. I've done this so many times I can't count.
and It arrives and I hate the way it hits or plays. It would be great to be able
to order a cue from any builder and specify the taper, weight, size,etc and
it be dead on. That is not possible with wood shafts. I played some with a REVO
and liked the way it played, but was not crazy about the sound or feel. Maybe
that will be addressed as that seems to be the biggest drawback for a lot of
people who have tried them. I have heard that the BeCue has a very solid hit.
jack

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a chance to shoot a couple racks with 2 different revos tonight at apa cities.

It only took a few shots to kinda figure it out. This comin from a strictly maple shaft guy. Well I have shot some with a 314 a few times.

I could see myself getting one....if the price was not outrageous to me.

I had my first opportunity to shoot with a 12.4 mm Revo today. Like you, it only took a couple shots to get the feel of it. I am also a traditional shaft person. LD technology shafts have not impressed me. While I do not anticipate switching from my traditional shafts, I can see why people like Revo. I cannot judge its LD qualities vs. any other shaft. But it was solid and played well.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I heard a rumor that Predator is going to jack the prices up a couple of hundred dollars. At the moment the prices are obscene, and beyond that, I don't even know what words to use.

Wouldn't surprise me. Kamui found dopes willing to spend $25 on cubes of chalk.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have it on good authority that the materials & build process of the Becue are far inferior to the Revo.
This person tells me that some of the engineering folks at Revo predict a 2 year life of the Becue (max) at which point the shaft will begin to degrade significantly & rapidly.
I'm not a techie or engineering guy. I'm only repeating what I've been told. -Z-

And "who" is "good authority" and what are their qualifications or knowledge for making such a statement and predictions of how the shaft will degrade?

I would imagine "some of the engineering folks at Revo" would try to sway interest "away" from a competitor's product.

Do tell who is "good authority".

azdiamondbacks1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revo 12.4

I bought revo 12.4 in Vegas last week during tourney. Hit a hundred
balls or so with it. Loved it. Finished tourney with my old go to 314.2.
Looking forward to getting to know the revo better. No reason to knock
it until you try it. Weight is 4.17 oz if anyone is interested.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I would not be surprised if those "several people" use these rumors succesfully selling 500$ Revo for 700$ :grin:. The more companies, makers will offer composite shafts the better will be for those who want to try them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And "who" is "good authority" and what are their qualifications or knowledge for making such a statement and predictions of how the shaft will degrade?

I would imagine "some of the engineering folks at Revo" would try to sway interest "away" from a competitor's product.

Do tell who is "good authority".
I agree. Carbon-fiber and epoxy don't degrade very easily. I've got 20yr old golf shafts that have been seriously used-n-abused on course as well as in trunk of car. They still play like new. Just can't see a pool shaft degrading regardless of what some phantom "good authority" says.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing the he said, she said card lacks respect and credibility. There is not one single shaft or opinion for that matter, that fits every player.
Accept, don't condem.
I enjoy a conversation when someone says they like or dislike something because. I'm all in and want to listen. As soon as they say, well so and so says??
I walk away. They don't deserve my attention.

Last edited:

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing the he said, she said card lacks respect and credibility. There is not one single shaft or opinion for that matter, that fits every player.
Accept, don't condem.
I enjoy a conversation when someone says they like or dislike something because. I'm all in and want to listen. As soon as they say, well so and so says??

That's what she said :D

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Accept, don't condem.

I like something. I like that setup I hit with Sunday with the Revo shaft. I liked it because of the balance, the looks, the weight, the feel. That's really all the kick ass butt you made. I also liked it because of the performance of the Revo shaft. Stupidly low deflection and amazing energy transfer.

I agree 100% with what you've said here.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like something. I like that setup I hit with Sunday with the Revo shaft. I liked it because of the balance, the looks, the weight, the feel. That's really all the kick ass butt you made. I also liked it because of the performance of the Revo shaft. Stupidly low deflection and amazing energy transfer.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Thank you. Butts matter!