Sales Forum (just not what it used to be...)

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not even sure why I am posting this. For those of us that are still clinging to hope that the sales forum will turn around...I don't believe so. Some of the best looking custom or production cues used to be sold here. Now all I see are the same old cues & shafts and whatever else someone decides to throw up there. Every once in a while someone tosses a bone but anymore seems to be "Walmart" quality stuff.

My apologies if I've offended any fans of Walmart...I just ran out of adjectives.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree

I wish I could disagree with you Anthony but unfortunately I can't. The people who enjoyed playing with a good custom cue ( like you and I ) seems to have faded away.

That will not change the way I see the game of Pool or passion of acquiring cues but it was fun seeing all the others who also shared that feeling.

If I can get some nice photos I will e mail you my latest adventure.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
with all the knockers who complain about next to nothing
you have little reason to wonder why

i did put up a harvey martin with ivory joint
a james white a rusty melton
a south west a pfd and two mystery cues that sold

then i put a wanted ad in the wrong section and some idiot complained

wonders why some have left

pool detectives like this

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
with all the knockers who complain about next to nothing
you have little reason to wonder why

i did put up a harvey martin with ivory joint
a james white a rusty melton
a south west a pfd and two mystery cues that sold

then i put a wanted ad in the wrong section and some idiot complained

wonders why some have left

pool detectives like this

Dean, there is a reason why the mods established a "For Sale" forum, and a "Wanted" forum and an "Ebay" forum. If you have an issue with that I would address it with the mods and not on my thread. BTW...I'll call you out on posting "Wanted" ads (plural) on the "For Sale" forum because all it does its drive a legitimate post down the page.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not even sure why I am posting this. For those of us that are still clinging to hope that the sales forum will turn around...I don't believe so. Some of the best looking custom or production cues used to be sold here. Now all I see are the same old cues & shafts and whatever else someone decides to throw up there. Every once in a while someone tosses a bone but anymore seems to be "Walmart" quality stuff.

My apologies if I've offended any fans of Walmart...I just ran out of adjectives.

So put something up for sale.

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So put something up for sale.

You are absolutely right...I will be posting some cues as I intend to thin the herd. Some of the cues that will be for sale: Szamboti (Barry and Gus), Scruggs, Martinez, Black Boar, Cantando, Josswest, etc...will be working on acquiring pics and specs.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are absolutely right...I will be posting some cues as I intend to thin the herd. Some of the cues that will be for sale: Szamboti (Barry and Gus), Scruggs, Martinez, Black Boar, Cantando, Josswest, etc...will be working on acquiring pics and specs.

Great. I look forward to seeing them. :smile:

HeadCase

Banned
It’s literally ALL on Facebook.
The sales, the discussions, basically the whole forum concept has been moved to FB.
Years ago this forum was the only way to discuss, sell, talk and “be around” the game so to speak but now FB owns all of it. It’s easy to use also, uploading pics and videos is one click and there’s no size restrictions, etc. it’s just another way technology is replacing something we have gotten used to.

I’m the time it takes me to upload 3 pics on this site I can post 3 discussion threads, list 3 things for sale and comment on 2 posts and be skimming sales and topics all at the same time.

fromthebeginnin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sales, the discussions, basically the whole forum concept has been moved to FB.
Years ago this forum was the only way to discuss, sell, talk and “be around” the game so to speak but now FB owns all of it. It’s easy to use also, uploading pics and videos is one click and there’s no size restrictions, etc. it’s just another way technology is replacing something we have gotten used to.

I’m the time it takes me to upload 3 pics on this site I can post 3 discussion threads, list 3 things for sale and comment on 2 posts and be skimming sales and topics all at the same time.

Do you have any links or input on selling on Facebook? I friend the AZ Billiard FB page, but haven’t seen a place to post cues for sale, do you just use the marketplace. Thanks

Last edited:

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup.

The slum of the internet IMHO.

I sure have a story to confirm your statement.

A customer of mine goes into a pawn shop, buys a cue real cheap.

Sends it to me to see if it can be fixed.

I told him the cue is so bad that it needs to be cut into pieces so I can reverse engineer one part of the cue, the rear extension. He knew it was bad but wanted it fixed. I asked if he was going to keep the cue for himself, he said yes.

The forearm on the cue had a real thick split from top to bottom, I rolled a .090" black ring up and down the crack, you could see the maple core inside the cocobolo, the black ring above it was cracked, same with the ring below it.

Within one week of me sending it out, it's on faceflop for nearly $1000 with ZERO mention of the work done.

I don't believe I will ever fix another cue in such bad shape unless the owner knows that I will out him if I ever see it for sale.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's The Seler Not The Platform

"...it's on faceflop for nearly $1000 with ZERO mention of the work done."

This is not unique to Facebook.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sure have a story to confirm your statement.

A customer of mine goes into a pawn shop, buys a cue real cheap.

Sends it to me to see if it can be fixed.

I told him the cue is so bad that it needs to be cut into pieces so I can reverse engineer one part of the cue, the rear extension. He knew it was bad but wanted it fixed. I asked if he was going to keep the cue for himself, he said yes.

The forearm on the cue had a real thick split from top to bottom, I rolled a .090" black ring up and down the crack, you could see the maple core inside the cocobolo, the black ring above it was cracked, same with the ring below it.

Within one week of me sending it out, it's on faceflop for nearly $1000 with ZERO mention of the work done.

I don't believe I will ever fix another cue in such bad shape unless the owner knows that I will out him if I ever see it for sale.

I don't care whether they know it or not, I will out them.

But I am not in business.

Maybe you are worried how people will see you if you out someone that way? Are you worried about how that person will see you?

If I had a business dealing with cues, cue making, and cue repairs, I would have a mission statement, and I would have a statement of my ethics. I would state plainly that I will not participate in fraud and that if I see it I will publicly point it out.

Many cue repair guys have seen such things happen. Worse, some have intentionally participated in it.

The absolute worst is someone willing to make or modify a cue in such a way as to misrepresent the origins to make it valuable. We all know about the many fake Balabushkas.

In my business (medicine) we are held to ethical standards. Cues, cue making, cue repair, and cue dealing is more like the wild west.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Heroin is popular and easy to use too, that does not make it wise to use it.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"...it's on faceflop for nearly $1000 with ZERO mention of the work done."

This is not unique to Facebook.

True. But I think it is more common there or has expanded with the emergence of Facebook.

Facebook is more fragmented. There are numerous individual Facebook pages with numerous "owners".

AZB is one site, one community. It's easier for the collective community to manage such things, and easier for the site owners to manage such things.

In addition there are serious matters of your own data security with Facebook.

Other than glance around once in a while, I have done nothing regarding cues on FB. I will be one of the later hold outs (already am). I already know ways in which that had put me at a disadvantage. I have missed deals.

I have not glanced around closed FB pages. I will not request to join. So I haven't even seen those.

AZB is indexed and searchable by Google. You do not need a log in to see the posts. That is of extreme value when researching different matters.

Yes, I am behind the times, but I have good reasons.