The International 9-Ball Open

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Totally agree. Ridiculous rule.

It’s the Smith Barney rule that was in place as long or longer than Texas Express.
Seems like Big Ko or somebody did that against Shane a couple of years back in a world 9-ball event.
Who likes winning 9-ball by limping in on your opponents mistake.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
I think mistakes should be punished. It's better for the player who made the mistake.

I was just playing devil’s advocate. But when I go to my buddy’s to play he always makes me shoot the spot shot in those situations. I always have to remind myself that he quit playing in the 80’s for about 20 years. What really makes my head hurt is when a safety is a good option after BIH on the 9-ball 😡

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s the Smith Barney rule that was in place as long or longer than Texas Express.
Seems like Big Ko or somebody did that against Shane a couple of years back in a world 9-ball event.
Who likes winning 9-ball by limping in on your opponents mistake.
Who????? Me. Every damn time i have the chance. BTW, do you have to shoot it? Can you pass it back? If not i stick my previous statement. STUPID rule.

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
If you can't make a spot shot to win a game, what are doing playing in this tournament?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you cant make the 9 without scratching..............?
Exactly. Why should you be penalized for your opponents blatant f^*k-up????????? Ridiculous. Should be able to pass the shot back to the dog who just scratched.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is one tough field!
Just looked at the player sign-up list. It's nearly filled up the entire 128 spots and the strength of the field is quite impressive. Awesome to see this level of support from the players for Pat's first annual International Open! Hopefully the spectator support will be strong as well - similar to as it was 20 years ago for the Open.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Just looked at the player sign-up list. It's nearly filled up the entire 128 spots and the strength of the field is quite impressive. Awesome to see this level of support from the players for Pat's first annual International Open! Hopefully the spectator support will be strong as well - similar to as it was 20 years ago for the Open.

Right on. Pat Fleming is one of those guys you can't help but root for. Let's hope the 2018 tournament is the beginning of something special.

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD NO 9 View Post
If you can't make a spot shot to win a game, what are doing playing in this tournament?

Exactly. Why should you be penalized for your opponents blatant f^*k-up????????? Ridiculous. Should be able to pass the shot back to the dog who just scratched.

Nostroke "If you cant make the 9 without scratching..............?"

Lol, If you guys think spot shots are punishment I'll, come out of 15 years of retirement from the game to, play either of you

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Believe it or not, Allen just loves to play pool. He enjoys the competitive spirit. :)

Note - JAM - I agree with you and the ranty part of this post is in no way directed at you. :)

And...he probably feels like he still has a chance to do well. And maybe he does. There is only one way for him to find out!

It has happened over and over again in sports like golf and pool where we've seen huge underdogs make a strong run and even win. Even people 'over the hill'.

I don't know for sure but when Gabe Owen won the US Open I don't think anyone had him as a favorite.

Same thing with John Schmidt.

Both were known as great players. So is Allen Hopkins.

I remember when Tom Watson won The Masters in golf after he was already on the senior tour.

It rubs me wrong when people sit on the sidelines and question the legitimacy of someone who is putting up their cash to compete. He didn't ask them for money. He didn't ask them for permission. What he did though was show more heart than all the 'doubters' combined.

I started playing pool again after about a 10 year hiatus and put my hat in the ring for a West Coast Swing event. Did I have a chance? Objectively no. But so what? I wanted to try it. And you know what? I gambled with other players in the tournament that I had objectively no chance with either. And you know what? So what? Nobody gave me the money I spent. Nobody gets to choose how I spend it. And I learned more playing them and it did more to get me back in stroke than any other way I could have spent that $500-600 or so.

If only guys who had a legitimate chance according to this railbird or that rating system played in these tournaments they'd have 6-man fields. And we would have missed out on the best stories in the history of our game.

FFS live a little and do some fun stuff once in a while.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Note - JAM - I agree with you and the ranty part of this post is in no way directed at you. :)

And...he probably feels like he still has a chance to do well. And maybe he does. There is only one way for him to find out!

It has happened over and over again in sports like golf and pool where we've seen huge underdogs make a strong run and even win. Even people 'over the hill'.

I don't know for sure but when Gabe Owen won the US Open I don't think anyone had him as a favorite.

I remember when Tom Watson won The Masters in golf after he was already on the senior tour.

It rubs me wrong when people sit on the sidelines and question the legitimacy of someone who is putting up their cash to compete. He didn't ask them for money. He didn't ask them for permission. What he did though was show more heart than all the 'doubters' combined.

I started playing pool again after about a 10 year hiatus and put my hat in the ring for a West Coast Swing event. Did I have a chance? Objectively no. But so what? I wanted to try it. And you know what? I gambled with other players in the tournament that I had objectively no chance with either. And you know what? So what? Nobody gave me the money I spent. Nobody gets to choose how I spend it. And I learned more playing them and it did more to get me back in stroke than any other way I could have spent that $500-600 or so.

If only guys who had a legitimate chance according to this railbird or that rating system played in these tournaments they'd have 6-man fields. And we would have missed out on the best stories in the history of our game.

Good post, IMO
Brings to mind the 1913 US Open golf...when a 20 year old amateur shocked the world,
defeating the great Vardon and Ted Ray in a playoff.
Francis Ouimet went on to become a very important factor in golf’s success.

This is what I like about open tournaments...shocks can happen....and have happened.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nicklaus won the Masters at 46-I dont believe anyone won a Major older and definitely not the Masters.The SR Tour starts at 50!

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Watson, born in September of 1949, won eight majors, the last of them being the British Open in 1983, at the age of 33. His last Masters title came in 1981 at the age of 31.

Actually, no player in history has won a regular PGA tour major while playing on the senior tour, although Nicklaus' 1986 Masters win at the age of 46 still has many of us oohing and aahing

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Watson, born in September of 1949, won eight majors, the last of them being the British Open in 1983, at the age of 33. His last Masters title came in 1981 at the age of 31.

Actually, no player in history has won a regular PGA tour major while playing on the senior tour, although Nicklaus' 1986 Masters win at the age of 46 still has many of us oohing and aahing

Watson came the closest to winning a major....
...he lost the British Open in a playoff at the age of 59.