OB Break cue issue

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought this break cue a few months ago and really like it but while breaking the other night, the tip came off. On further review it looks like it wasn’t the tip but part of the ferrule broke off and took the tip with it.

Anyone else seen this happen? I have an OB Lift jump cue with the same ferrule and have never had an issue with it.

Attachments

• FED35D39-6337-45F9-A672-322F12EB4D1E.jpg
    FED35D39-6337-45F9-A672-322F12EB4D1E.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 431

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I bought this break cue a few months ago and really like it but while breaking the other night, the tip came off. On further review it looks like it wasn’t the tip but part of the ferrule broke off and took the tip with it.

Anyone else seen this happen? I have an OB Lift jump cue with the same ferrule and have never had an issue with it.
From the pic it looks like the glue might not have covered the whole tip. Maybe the resulting movement had something to do with the ferrule failing?

I've never been comfortable with the strength of a wooden ferrule...

pj
chgo

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
You should contact OB. Their customer service used to be great. Less great recently, but they are supposedly making a recommitted effort to improving it. This would be a good test. Let us know how it goes.

J SCHWARZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same thing has happened to my rift break cue 3 separate times. Tip flys off with a piece of the ferrule. The fist two times I sent it back to ob and they took care of it in a timely and professional fashion. Third time I just threw a different shaft on and haven't gotten around to sending it back. They might have had a funky batch come out cause other people I know with the same shaft haven't had any issues with theirs and they've had em for for a few years now.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen this several times. OB will replace the ferrule under warranty. If you, like me livw so far away from OB cues that it's not really practical to send them your shaft, you can buy just the ferrule and have your local cuemaker install and turn down the ferrule.
Or you can depart from the original design and install a capped ferrule of your choice, the last solution is what most players has asked me to do.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Been the same old crap for a long time.

USPS makes a small fortune on people returning defective OB products.

You would think after making so much garbage you would think of a better way....

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Imho, OB would solve that by using wood glue instead of super glue.

Then again, I don't understand why a break shaft shaft would have a hole in the center.

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen this several times. OB will replace the ferrule under warranty. If you, like me livw so far away from OB cues that it's not really practical to send them your shaft, you can buy just the ferrule and have your local cuemaker install and turn down the ferrule.
Or you can depart from the original design and install a capped ferrule of your choice, the last solution is what most players has asked me to do.

....or get a refund and buy something that stays together.

Keith

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should contact OB. Their customer service used to be great. Less great recently, but they are supposedly making a recommitted effort to improving it. This would be a good test. Let us know how it goes.

I contacted them but no reply. I am sending it back tomorrow and hope to get it back before the Derby City Classic in a few weeks. We shall see and I will update.