Silver Member
A Rare interview and road stories from Hall of Famer, Cowboy Jimmy Moore

Lots of cool stories

Watch it here https://youtu.be/58ej-2ijl9w

Capture.jpg

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
This is going to sound funny, but I never knew how good he was until I watched this vid.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
A Rare interview and road stories from Hall of Famer, Cowboy Jimmy Moore

Lots of cool stories

Watch it here https://youtu.be/58ej-2ijl9w

View attachment 509060

Thanks for the video. I watched it all. The only thing I had heard about Jimmy Moore was when I was playing snooker in the early 1960's. They said he ran 96 6 balls in 6 ball wild. We were always trying to beat his record but never come close.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Thanks for the video. I watched it all. The only thing I had heard about Jimmy Moore was when I was playing snooker in the early 1960's. They said he ran 96 6 balls in 6 ball wild. We were always trying to beat his record but never come close.

Jimmy Moore took a quiet satisfaction in the fact that no American player ever beat him
on a 6x12.

Take that, you chin-on-cue guys....:)

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Jimmy Moore took a quiet satisfaction in the fact that no American player ever beat him
on a 6x12.

Take that, you chin-on-cue guys....:)

In the video, he stated no one could beat him on a snooker table in the US. I believe it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
What a fantastic slip stroke that man had...

I first met Jimmy in Detroit....on opposite sides of a partner game...
..we became friends after....so when I was out west, I made a point of hanging around
Albuquerque for a couple weeks....he found me action or we practised pool.
Quiet room...no TV or radio...for hours I would hear the whisper of Jimmy’s hand sliding
Over Irish linen....it was a thing of beauty...and it was ridiculous what he could do with whitey.

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I first met Jimmy in Detroit....on opposite sides of a partner game...
..we became friends after....so when I was out west, I made a point of hanging around
Albuquerque for a couple weeks....he found me action or we practised pool.
Quiet room...no TV or radio...for hours I would hear the whisper of Jimmy’s hand sliding
Over Irish linen....it was a thing of beauty...and it was ridiculous what he could do with whitey.

I WISH I WOULD HAVE HAD MORE CHANGES TO SEE HIM UP CLOSE..THE LAST TIME I SAW HIM WAS AT HARDTIMES IN BELLFLOWER IN 1991 IF I REMEMBER RIGHT HE WAS WITH RAGS WOODS...I ALWAYS ADMIRED HIS STOKE FROM THE TIME I STARTED PLAYING IN THE EARY 1960s AT TROPICANA LANES IN INGLEWOOD CA WHERE THERE WAS BIG TIME ACTION ALL THE TIME AND ON ANY GIVEN DAY GUYS LIKE RITCHIE FLORENCE ,RONNIE ALLEN,LITTLE AL ROMERO AND OTHERS LIKE MARVIN HENDERSON WHO WOULD COME OUT FROM THE EAST TO PLAY..I REMEMBER JACK COONEY MOVED FROM FRISCO TO AROUND MY AREA CAUSE HE LOVED THE ACTION AND WAS ALREADY COMING IN TO HIS OWN BY THEN...GREAT TIMES,GREAT ACTION...

Last edited:

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love to know who the 'Lamb Killer' they referenced is. If anyone has an idea,

Let me know. I grew up in Albuquerque and can only think of one at the moment. Kyle

Tafoya...but I don't think it is the one they are talking about...

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have good memories of Jimmy hanging around our pool room in East Detroit in the late 70’s. He had a sister there that he came to visit once in a while nearby. I recall him having a big cigar in his mouth, flat top haircut and slip stroke.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I would love to know who the 'Lamb Killer' they referenced is. If anyone has an idea,

Let me know. I grew up in Albuquerque and can only think of one at the moment. Kyle

Tafoya...but I don't think it is the one they are talking about...

I wonder what years he had the pool hall in ABQ. I was there in 1970-74 selling real estate with Doyle Pargin. I would love to see his "slip stroke". Wonder if there is a video of that anywhere. Nah, never mind. I've got enough to worry about.

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Does anyone know who recorded this, or who is the person off camera doing the interview? I love stuff like this.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been around awhile. I downloaded it in 2013, and kept it on my HD along with some other vids of old players.

There are plenty of old pool-related videos on Youtube, including lots of matches videotaped 1988-92. The quality is VHS, probably recorded straight off a home TV.

Search for this 5-video series to see Moore's slip-stroke:

UJ Puckett vs. 'Cowboy' Jimmy Moore 7-Ball & 9-Ball

...and these:

Cowboy Jimmy Moore instruction 1993.wmv
Cowboy Jimmy Moore shoots trick shots

I am pretty sure all of the videos named below are still on Youtube.
I especially like the videos where UJ Puckett, age 76, beats Lassiter, Moore, and Fats in 7-ball and in 9-ball. He played very good, with a soft touch, and seemed almost humble, a strange attitude for him. I think Lassiter and Moore were both considered better than UJ when they were all in their prime.

Artie Bodendorfer at North Shore Billiard Club.mov
Boston Shorty vs Luther Lassiter.(1 pocket)
Bugs Rucker-Bank Shots.
Chicago Bugs-Banking
Crane vs Caras
Eddie Taylor-Bank Shot.
Greats from the Past.
Harold Worst VS Boston Shorty
Lassiter vs Puckett 1 of 3
Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker -One pocket Shot.
Luther Lassiter vs Irving Crane 1 of 3
Minnesota Fats and UJ Puckett Pt 1
MOSCONIFATSCOSELL.avi
Part 1 ABC Ten-Twenty Billiard Game Show [5 parts, first very short]
Ralph Greenleaf Highlight Reel - Billiard Legend Player
Ronnie Allen Road Stories Part [7 parts]
UJ Puckett vs. 'Cowboy' Jimmy Moore 7-Ball & 9-Ball [5 parts]
Wade Crane aka Billy Johnson One pocket HOF

More, still from YT I think:

Galveston World Classic [2009, some fine 1pkt matches]
1994 US Open Onepocket - Billy Incardona-Cliff Joyner (Semis)
$20,000 One-Pocket Challenge Alex Pagulayan vs Scott Frost Feb 2013 [3 parts]
Chris McDonald VS John Henderson $4,000 Added One-Pocket The 2012 West Coast Challenge
Scott Frost vs Cliff Joyner - One Pocket Match Best Racks [Fast Lenny recording, 2013 or '14]
1987 - Louie Roberts - Gary Seville - Part 1 of 3 -Rare video of St. Louie Louie
Earl Strickland vs CJ Wiley - Tournament Director Jay Helfert Announcing [only 2 minutes, but cool to see Earl and CJ in suits, and Jay with hair]
9b_2FPO_CJ Wiley v Kevin Guimond with Shuff-Jones Spoilers [2011, CJ in camo]
Insane Game of One Pocket - Scott Frost vs John Schmidt - Hill-Hill [hour-long game]

Willie Mosconi's Only How-To Video [you can tell the guy can play]

...then for some scientific? pool instruction from the Old Country, look for Michel Le Neillon. He had some short vids playing with no cloth on the rails, which gives really crazy action.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
It's been around awhile. I downloaded it in 2013, and kept it on my HD along with some other vids of old players.

There are plenty of old pool-related videos on Youtube, including lots of matches videotaped 1988-92. The quality is VHS, probably recorded straight off a home TV.

Search for this 5-video series to see Moore's slip-stroke:

UJ Puckett vs. 'Cowboy' Jimmy Moore 7-Ball & 9-Ball

...and these:

Cowboy Jimmy Moore instruction 1993.wmv
Cowboy Jimmy Moore shoots trick shots

I am pretty sure all of the videos named below are still on Youtube.
I especially like the videos where UJ Puckett, age 76, beats Lassiter, Moore, and Fats in 7-ball and in 9-ball. He played very good, with a soft touch, and seemed almost humble, a strange attitude for him. I think Lassiter and Moore were both considered better than UJ when they were all in their prime.

Artie Bodendorfer at North Shore Billiard Club.mov
Boston Shorty vs Luther Lassiter.(1 pocket)
Bugs Rucker-Bank Shots.
Chicago Bugs-Banking
Crane vs Caras
Eddie Taylor-Bank Shot.
Greats from the Past.
Harold Worst VS Boston Shorty
Lassiter vs Puckett 1 of 3
Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker -One pocket Shot.
Luther Lassiter vs Irving Crane 1 of 3
Minnesota Fats and UJ Puckett Pt 1
MOSCONIFATSCOSELL.avi
Part 1 ABC Ten-Twenty Billiard Game Show [5 parts, first very short]
Ralph Greenleaf Highlight Reel - Billiard Legend Player
Ronnie Allen Road Stories Part [7 parts]
UJ Puckett vs. 'Cowboy' Jimmy Moore 7-Ball & 9-Ball [5 parts]
Wade Crane aka Billy Johnson One pocket HOF

More, still from YT I think:

Galveston World Classic [2009, some fine 1pkt matches]
1994 US Open Onepocket - Billy Incardona-Cliff Joyner (Semis)
$20,000 One-Pocket Challenge Alex Pagulayan vs Scott Frost Feb 2013 [3 parts]
Chris McDonald VS John Henderson $4,000 Added One-Pocket The 2012 West Coast Challenge
Scott Frost vs Cliff Joyner - One Pocket Match Best Racks [Fast Lenny recording, 2013 or '14]
1987 - Louie Roberts - Gary Seville - Part 1 of 3 -Rare video of St. Louie Louie
Earl Strickland vs CJ Wiley - Tournament Director Jay Helfert Announcing [only 2 minutes, but cool to see Earl and CJ in suits, and Jay with hair]
9b_2FPO_CJ Wiley v Kevin Guimond with Shuff-Jones Spoilers [2011, CJ in camo]
Insane Game of One Pocket - Scott Frost vs John Schmidt - Hill-Hill [hour-long game]

Willie Mosconi's Only How-To Video [you can tell the guy can play]

...then for some scientific? pool instruction from the Old Country, look for Michel Le Neillon. He had some short vids playing with no cloth on the rails, which gives really crazy action.

I watched a Crane vid on YT of him running 150 and out, I believe against Balsis. Only time in my life I've actually seen someone run 150 balls ( I watched the entire thing ). Our room owner used to play a lot of 14.1 and I've seen him run over 100 several times ( though it's been many years ) but never 150. That's one of the things I most admired about the oldsters back in the 14.1 days, their ability ( not that they had a lot of options, I suppose ) to sit and watch as their opponent stayed at the table for at times, an hour or more. I could never have done that. My head would have exploded at the 20 minute mark.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I watched a Crane vid on YT of him running 150 and out, I believe against Balsis. Only time in my life I've actually seen someone run 150 balls ( I watched the entire thing ). Our room owner used to play a lot of 14.1 and I've seen him run over 100 several times ( though it's been many years ) but never 150. That's one of the things I most admired about the oldsters back in the 14.1 days, their ability ( not that they had a lot of options, I suppose ) to sit and watch as their opponent stayed at the table for at times, an hour or more. I could never have done that.§ My head would have exploded at the 20 minute mark.

The last time I saw Michael Andros...

C3DD8644-E780-4C50-B1B7-D3F180099677.jpeg