Ultimate Argument: Pendulum vs Piston Stroke

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Hunter on the other hand from what I saw didn't drop elbow once!
I notice that his elbow often rises a little. Strange. His elbow does drop a little at the end of some power shots, just like many good players.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
His elbow does drop a little at the end of some power shots, just like many good players.

If you really power through the CB, it's pretty uncomfortable not to let it drop. I'd count it as a pendulum stroke if the elbow drop doesn't begin until the stroke is near its natural finish.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as you are capable of moving the cue in a consistent straight line through the cue ball, there is nothing else.

Do what works best for you. Different people have different physiology's that support different movements better than others. Any "instructor" who tells you that one way is right or wrong is full of horseshit and is only pushing their curriculum on you.

How do you know whats best?

Step 1: Quit overthinking shit

Step 2: Focus (practice) on moving the cue back and forth in a straight line

Step 3: Once you have the "moving the cue in a straight line" movement down, work on controlling it (keeping it straight) at different speeds, soft and slow all the way through to fast and then break speed (tons of ways to practice and measure this one)

Step 4: Once you are confident there, realize that you just put in the work to get the physical side of the game down. The rest is all in your cranial vault.

Step 5: Stop being influenced by people who put together "best practices" versions of instruction, because with physical activities, one size usually never fits all.

I know, I know. It sounds too simple.... :eek:

All of the pro players who seem to do this on one shot, and that on another are not making conscious choices about piston or pendulum. They are only focused on what?

Thats right....

MOVING THE CUE IN A STRAIGHT LINE THROUGH THE BALL.

Refer to step number one. :thumbup:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We combine both and call it the "PISTULUM"
There ya have it! A new stroke ;)

actually a pendulum back stroke with an elbow drop AFTER contact is called a "J" stroke
its what i use most often
this is from dr dave in the link ablove
"J" stroke is a combination of a pendulum and piston stroke, where the grip hand follows the pendulum motion on the back swing and forward swing into the ball, and then the grip moves in a straight line (with elbow drop) after CB contact and during follow through. If you trace out the path of the grip hand, it looks like a "J" turned sideways. If done well, this gives the benefits of the pendulum stroke tip contact point accuracy, and the follow through of a piston-stroke, but some people might have trouble with dropping the elbow at the right time and right amount consistently.

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could jerk off to this forever without a solution:sorry:..

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Whatever Mike Davis does should be banned! I cant stand watching that, I have to leave the room lol
Jason

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After years of playing I still have no idea what you guys are talking about

what kind of stroke does Efren use
What kind did jimmy Moore or Mike Massey use

On john schmidts 434 ball run,what kind of stroke does he use

what did nick varner use

dick lane

Alex? Tony Chohan?

I am not trying to cause trouble I would really like to know

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
After years of playing I still have no idea what you guys are talking about

what kind of stroke does Efren use
What kind did jimmy Moore or Mike Massey use

On john schmidts 434 ball run,what kind of stroke does he use

what did nick varner use

dick lane

Alex? Tony Chohan?

I am not trying to cause trouble I would really like to know

Karen and Allison have The Stroke. Text book.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's whatever puts the ball in the hole and makes the CB behave the way you expect it to.

If you watch the champions, going all the way back to Greenleaf and forward to Efren, they all have different strokes. That's why things like stroke trainers are a total joke. If the balls are going where you want, it just doesn't matter.

Lou Figueroa

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's whatever puts the ball in the hole and makes the CB behave the way you expect it to.

If you watch the champions, going all the way back to Greenleaf and forward to Efren, they all have different strokes. That's why things like stroke trainers are a total joke. If the balls are going where you want, it just doesn't matter.

Lou Figueroa

It's just this kinda thinking that keeps us now far behind the rest of the world the days of picking up Daddy's cue and heading to the pool hall and expecting to rise the championship level are all but gone in the wind

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's just this kinda thinking that keeps us now far behind the rest of the world the days of picking up Daddy's cue and heading to the pool hall and expecting to rise the championship level are all but gone in the wind

And why is that?

Many, many of the greats, past and present, including the current crop of Pinoys, have idiosyncratic strokes. What counts are the results and what might work for one may (probably) won't work for another.

Are you going to argue with the success of an Efren or a Mosconi?

Lou Figueroa

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And why is that?

Many, many of the greats, past and present, including the current crop of Pinoys, have idiosyncratic strokes. What counts are the results and what might work for one may (probably) won't work for another.

Are you going to argue with the success of an Efren, or a Mosconi?

Lou Figueroa

Its pretty clear to anyone paying attention the Euro's and Asians are producing the most world class players today ,, and if you look at today Pinoys they all pretty much have the same stroke that bicycle stroke is a thing of the past ,

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its pretty clear to anyone paying attention the Euro's and Asians are producing the most world class players today ,, and if you look at today Pinoys they all pretty much have the same stroke that bicycle stroke is a thing of the past ,

Thanks for your opinion, lol.

Lou Figueroa