Are cue joint protectors really necessary?

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The need for these eludes me. How can a cue joint become damaged in a case?

The (supposedly) only decent cue I have is my recently acquired Schmelke Sneaky Pete, with the "#7" radial compatible screw joint. Should I have joint protectors?

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Less about actual damage, more about looks and "protecting" it from small particles, such as lint, dust, sand, ... that might impair the screwing together and/or damage the actual thread when being in the way.

Cheerio!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have them and only use them for travel.

You might appreciate them, if you droop your buut on the grouuund by occident.

Do you need more excuses to buy pool stuuf? I got mooooore.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
easier to pull your cues out of your case. Other than that, I'd have no use for them.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The need for these eludes me. How can a cue joint become damaged in a case?

The (supposedly) only decent cue I have is my recently acquired Schmelke Sneaky Pete, with the "#7" radial compatible screw joint. Should I have joint protectors?

I left a poolhall one night, years ago, and I had forgotten to secure the latch of my case. Back then I had a very nice custom Prather cue. I also had joint protectors but wasn't using them all the time. My car keys were in the long pouch of the case, and so I tilted the case up to fumble around for my keys and that beautiful Prather cue, butt and shaft ends, slid right out of the case and hit the pavement!! Made some really ugly chips along the edge of the shaft collar/ring and slightly bent the joint pin on the butt. Now I use the joint protectors always.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had 3 cues with cheap plastic JP's . One day as I was putting the case in my car the case emptied out as the lid was not closed. The cues hit the cement sidewalk with the JP's facing down and scratched the JP's pretty good...nothing happened to the cues.
Are they necessary? For me they are. And I definitely recommend them.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I only keep them on the butts of my cues when not in use. If a cue slips out of your hand while one is on it can keep the pin safe from bending if the pin hits a surface first on a drop.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
A high end custom cue such as Southwest is $4K-$7K Spending $20 for a set of joint protectors to protect that investment is worthwhile for peace of mind. Would I spend $20 for a $50 Sneaky Pete that I keep as a spare in the trunk of my car? Probably not.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have two left hands like BC21 and GoldCrown then it seems like a good idea. Otherwise a waste of time, IMO. The more time you fiddle around with putting protectors on and off the more chance of dropping the cue (with those two left hands). :grin:

OldOrvis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
never had joint protectors never had a problem getting my cues out of any of my cases and never had a joint or pin issue lol

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
They probably provide some protection for the pin and maybe for the joint, if say your
cues might fall out and maybe crack the ring or chip the wood or something like that.
Probably not really necessary.
I think other than that they are ornamental, an extra accessory for your enjoyment

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for me personally I just put them in a cigarette pack until once while playing in a 9ball tournament fast Eddie asked me for a butt and without thinking I handed him the pack. If you know anything about Eddie you know I should have used some kind of protection. When I went to the pack and needed one (getting ready to play one pocket), the only thing in that pack was cigarettes. I left the cash on the light and walked out.

better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use them just to make getting cue out of case easier. If your case is good they really don't protect anything. I can't believe what some spend on these things. Whatever floats thy boat.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you have two left hands like BC21 and GoldCrown then it seems like a good idea. Otherwise a waste of time, IMO. The more time you fiddle around with putting protectors on and off the more chance of dropping the cue (with those two left hands). :grin:

Haha Dan! Lol. I really didn't like the chipped up edge on that collar...it was an ugly and preventable thing. Funny that I've never had a cue hit the pavement again, but I still use those protectors!:thumbup:

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Bought mine to make it easier to pull 'em out of my case. Ah hell, really because they're fun...Here's mine, made by Jim Baxter...

Attachments

• IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 259