Disappointing Purchase Experience

Bedwards

Registered
I recently picked up a Jacoby Ultra Pro shaft at a local pro shop and after getting it home and playing with it I noticed there is a black spot/smudge on it that now that I saw it I can’t unsee it. I found myself having to constantly rotate the cue when aiming in order to avoid it.

I contacted Jacoby and after some emails back and forth and sending them some pics they said to take it back where I bought it and exchange it.

The shop is a two hour round trip so I called ahead and explained the situation and made sure they had the correct shaft in stock. The guy on the phone confirmed they had some and they would take care of me.

When I got there I was greeted by the owner so I explained the situation again. He took a look at the shaft and agreed that would be annoying and said he knows people that would refuse to play with it. But then suggested I just rotate the cue so I don’t see it like that was an acceptable solution. I said that doesn’t work for me and he said I would need to take it up with Jacoby then.

I showed him the email thread from Jacoby telling me to go there for the exchange but that wasn’t good enough for some reason. So I ended up leaving without any resolution.

I contacted Jacoby again and they are supposed to be sending a new shaft to the shop so I can hopefully complete the exchange. I’m waiting on them to confirm it has been shipped but at this point I will be surprised if anything goes smoothly.

Both of these businesses are highly respected which is why I guess I’m so confused why this has been so difficult. I mean should it really take more than a dozen emails, several phone calls and six hours in the car to exchange something I’m not happy with? It seems like this should have been so simple.

Sorry for being so long winded and rambling. Just a bit frustrated.

Thanks,
Brian

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently picked up a Jacoby Ultra Pro shaft at a local pro shop and after getting it home and playing with it I noticed there is a black spot/smudge on it that now that I saw it I can’t unsee it. I found myself having to constantly rotate the cue when aiming in order to avoid it.

I contacted Jacoby and after some emails back and forth and sending them some pics they said to take it back where I bought it and exchange it.

The shop is a two hour round trip so I called ahead and explained the situation and made sure they had the correct shaft in stock. The guy on the phone confirmed they had some and they would take care of me.

When I got there I was greeted by the owner so I explained the situation again. He took a look at the shaft and agreed that would be annoying and said he knows people that would refuse to play with it. But then suggested I just rotate the cue so I don’t see it like that was an acceptable solution. I said that doesn’t work for me and he said I would need to take it up with Jacoby then.

I showed him the email thread from Jacoby telling me to go there for the exchange but that wasn’t good enough for some reason. So I ended up leaving without any resolution.

I contacted Jacoby again and they are supposed to be sending a new shaft to the shop so I can hopefully complete the exchange. I’m waiting on them to confirm it has been shipped but at this point I will be surprised if anything goes smoothly.

Both of these businesses are highly respected which is why I guess I’m so confused why this has been so difficult. I mean should it really take more than a dozen emails, several phone calls and six hours in the car to exchange something I’m not happy with? It seems like this should have been so simple.

Thanks,
Brian

That’s why I buy stuff on line. I’ve returned stuff I purchased on eBay and have never had a problem. Most of the time stores just don’t carry the items I want.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That’s why I buy stuff on line. I’ve returned stuff I purchased on eBay and have never had a problem. Most of the time stores just don’t carry the items I want.

Or Seybert’s. No hassle customer service. Personally Jacoby could have handled it for you directly.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Thanks,
Brian

I'd be extremely hot since Jacoby said to take it there and exchange it. No way I'd make that trip again. They would have to ship it to my house and then I'd ship it back to them.

They already owe you at least 2hrs of time.

Bottom line is the SHOP sold you a bad shaft, it's up to them to take it up with Jacoby.

Jason

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks,
Brian

I can fully understand your frustration. Too bad you didn't spot it before leaving the store and paying for it. Lesson learned there. I couldn't tell you how many times I've bought something (like a cool used car) that looked so good but turned out to have hidden problems which I discovered later (too late in fact). This might mean a $500-1,000 repair that I didn't expect to have. BUMMER!

Now they've got you between a rock and a hard place. It's nice when business owners stand by their products and bend over backwards to keep a customer happy, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule these days. Don't let it get to you. Just be patient and see how it plays out. There's nothing more you can do at this time but wait and see the outcome. The worst case scenario is you have a good shaft that is not really what you wanted. You can always sell it and take the loss, however much that is. This is not the kind of publicity Jacoby needs, that's for sure. Same goes for the pro shop you bought it at. You have recourse there as well to bad rap them online. I doubt either one wants to see that.

Also wondering if it could be sanded down to remove the spot?

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

OMG-----rotate the shaft so you don't see it?

This comment is the same thing I have to do to my warped OB shafts.

On most shots I have to rotate the shaft so the warp is straight up and down.

This is not a good thing to tell a customer. Kind of a dick move.

GAtexas1978

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

OMG-----rotate the shaft so you don't see it?

This comment is the same thing I have to do to my warped OB shafts.

On most shots I have to rotate the shaft so the warp is straight up and down.

This is not a good thing to tell a customer. Kind of a dick move.

i totally agree, it's a total dick move

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I have a shaft story that can top this one by a mile.

I hope I don't have to post about it but I am getting the uneasy feeling that I might have too.

We shall see but time is rapidly running out.

Thanks

Kevin

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP:
I had a similar experience with a predator cue butt I purchased from RG Billiards in Birmingham, Alabama.

Bob (the owner) sold me a butt that had a bad pin in it and refused to take it back, saying "I can't take it back, you already chalked the tip".

I called predator, explained the situation and they ask me to send the butt to them for inspection and I did. About a week later I received a complete new cue from predator.

Like Jay said, "always check things out before purchasing"....... sometimes that's hard to do but I live by it when I can.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
sometimes deals go south even with good suppliers

Jacoby seems to be acting properly other than maybe not quite grasping the drive involved for you. The people Jacoby sent you to really dropped the ball in a big way. You should have gotten Jacoby on the phone while there if possible.

I had an order thoroughly botched by a well known and respected supplier. It was so bad that I suspected a disgruntled employee. I called expecting no problems straightening things out with a company with a great reputation. I wasn't angry or upset, stuff happens and this was all stock for my shop so no big deal. Got a world class jerk on the phone. The final straw was when I asked about them covering return shipping and he told me that depended on how I shipped it. OK, how do you want me to ship it? He never told me!

I told my tale on the cue builder's forum and a half-dozen guys told me to call and ask for "Bob" he was a great guy and would straighten things out. "Bob" was the guy that had been such a jerk! I called near the end of the business day and maybe he had a bad day, no excuse but again, "stuff" does happen!

I would try to contact Jacoby and ask them to solve this directly at this point. Might mention that this was recommended on the AZB pool forum, just a gentle hint! :thumbup:

Hu

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I have a shaft story that can top this one by a mile.

I hope I don't have to post about it but I am getting the uneasy feeling that I might have too.

We shall see but time is rapidly running out.

Thanks

Kevin

JUST FOR CLARIFICATION MY RANT WILL HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH JACOBY CUES OR THEIR PRODUCTS. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN HAPPY WITH THEIR PRODUCTS AND THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE. JUST WANTED TO CLEAR THAT UP.

Thanks

Kevin

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I deal a lot wIth calling people I don't know to get something they didn't know they needed to provide to me.

Sometimes you gotta get by the window witch.

Bedwards

Registered
I'm hoping I can update the thread with a positive outcome in a day or two. Based on some suggestions I made the request to do the exchange through the mail so we'll see what they say. It just blows my mind how some businesses go out of their way to make sure you're happy with their products or services and others don't seem to give a rip once they swipe your card.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
I'm hoping I can update the thread with a positive outcome in a day or two. Based on some suggestions I made the request to do the exchange through the mail so we'll see what they say. It just blows my mind how some businesses go out of their way to make sure you're happy with their products or services and others don't seem to give a rip once they swipe your card.

Name the shop...protect others.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never noticed my shaft when I am shooting. Could probably have spiders on my shaft and I wouldn't see them.

Well then you will have no problem putting a red blob from a magic marker just short of your ferrule and let us know how you still like it. :)

Jeff G. Martin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious whether or not your shaft is a second. I'm assuming not since you didn't mention it.

I've seen tons of their shafts that are "seconds" that have far less than a black spot and couldn't believe they would have to discount them because of the minor blemishes some have. Perhaps one slipped through the cracks. Glad Jacoby is taking care of you directly.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you bought with a credit card contact them and file a chargeback....if you paid cash you are screwed.