This is how pool should be...imho of course.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
By far my favorite video of a pool match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFefyiLx3Wo

No *****in' about the rack. No robotic, stone-faced players. Nice little match with some amiable conversation by two of the greatest.

Pool for the spectators would be much more enjoyable (and possibly sell tickets better) if it was like this in all matches, instead of the numerous arrogant douchebags we have to watch on a fairly regular basis.

Come on...don't y'all agree this is a much better way to watch pool?

Maniac

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yepper, it was a different time for sure. There seemed to be honor in pool.
Now everybody seems to be a rack inspector/mechanic. Gets old.....

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
What's weird is, even with the Shaw vs Sky match, they were using a template with the ref racking, and he still couldn't get the balls tight to the satisfaction of Shaw. Definitely more enjoyable to watch when it doesn't take 5 minutes to rack the balls.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's weird is, even with the Shaw vs Sky match, they were using a template with the ref racking, and he still couldn't get the balls tight to the satisfaction of Shaw. Definitely more enjoyable to watch when it doesn't take 5 minutes to rack the balls.
Shaw whines about the rack more than anyone i've ever watched. Wears me smooth out. Forgot how much i liked Rempe's delivery. Very crisp, tidy stroke.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only watched until 2-2, and it does seem nice. But hold on! They edited out the racking up to this score. Did they show it later for you to state no racking drama?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Balls sounds, the sounds of a good wooden rack, and the sounds of balls hitting the back of the pocket are ''needed'' for a quality production. If you were every lucky enough to hear the balls hitting the back of the pocket when Sigel was in Stroke it was Special. It was similar to a pro tennis player smacking a cross court winner at Wimbledon.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balls sounds, the sounds of a good wooden rack, and the sounds of balls hitting the back of the pocket are ''needed'' for a quality production. If you were every lucky enough to hear the balls hitting the back of the pocket when Sigel was in Stroke it was Special. It was similar to a pro tennis player smacking a cross court winner at Wimbledon.

Did you watch the same thing? They were using the Sardo rack in this match:)

Island Drive

Silver Member
Did you watch the same thing? They were using the Sardo rack in this match:)

Didn't watch it....

I've played in pro events with Sardo racks. I don't care to even watch an event that used them.
A gimmic that was created by a non pool player. It seemed to create the Cory Duel breaking style, which is no longer allowed in pro play.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... It seemed to create the Corey Deuel breaking style, which is no longer allowed in pro play.
Sardo taught people how to make a tight rack. Corey taught people how break a tight rack. Nine ball has not been the same since and probably never will be. Damn that Pandora!

People need to figure out how to move on. Going back is not possible.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Sardo taught people how to make a tight rack. Corey taught people how break a tight rack. Nine ball has not been the same since and probably never will be. Damn that Pandora!

Yeah, but she sure can look good a times....devil in the details. :smile:

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I blame the organizing body.

Other sports have better ways is testing out new formats.
Baseball is testing the pitch clock this spring.
Esports have update patches every few months.
Football has the instant play review.
Ice Hockey has the no hitting from the rear and the wearing a helmet rule.

These are not standards that ruin the game or change the format. Most of the standards enhance gameplay.

The lag time between innovation and billiards adopting a new standard is slow.

Everyone that plays knows what could work and what is not worth keeping in the sport.

However the powers that be spend little time with feedback from the players.

It is like billiard players are held hostage to ancient traditions, or whoever pays for the tradition to be put in place, like the old magic rack.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member

Here's a rule idea for TV matches, or any match to be spectated by a sizable crowd...

1. Ref Racks.
2. No Re-Racks.
3. No Rack Inspections - player may not cross the head string once the ref starts racking until after player has broken the rack.
4. No templates, just regular old fashion triangle.

This will speed things up, and reduce the unpleasant, visual undermining of the game. When crowds see players rack inspecting, it just shouldn't be a part of the game-flow. Slows things down. Brings things into question. Changes the focus and the flow.

Let the whiners pound sand. Sigel, Varner, Efren, Earl ...they all did fine in the era before rack gadgets existed. The best will still rise to the top.

I hate shot clocks. Because the quality of the game is diminished when a player cannot play the best possible shot due to time constraints particularly in a tough situation. However, the vast majority of shots shouldn't take long to make at all. If players play with a good pace, then the faster shooting during routine shots makes up for the longer time taken during tough situations. This is how it was at one time, with honorable and decent players.

Unfortunately, some players and many of them from Europe thinks that every shot, even the most routine, basic shot that an amateur can make - should take 5 minutes to shoot. These intentional slow-players are a disease upon the game and have ruined it for many.

I like the chess-timer type concept but it is not easy to implement. That and it would not be good for spectators. A player could harvest a good balance of time, and then use way too much of it later in the match making it miserable to watch. That said, shot clock is needed sadly, due to all the slow-pokes who destroyed the game.

A better shot clock system should be used. The standard is typically 30 seconds a shot with a 30-second extension per game. And often, 1 minute after the break.

Keep it 30 seconds a shot. Make it 45 seconds after the break. However, do away with the extension per rack. Most of the time, the extra 30 seconds doesn't do much in terms of the player figuring out the best approach. Instead, the extension merely keeps the player from running out of time when they are running behind on a tough situation NOT that they resolved such situation with the best approach. Also, sometimes extensions are taken simply because the player wants it, not that they need it.

Instead, allow say 3 extensions PER MATCH, which are up to say, 2 or 3 minutes each. Players ought to be mindful of that, and use them in critical situations. No one likes to see a pivotal rack be decided in a critical shot situation by a rushed shot and have the whole match decided on that. But no one wants to watch paint dry which is what many modern players play like.

Slow play, rack nonsense. Cancer for the game and for the fans.

It is tragic that such rules and formats have to be created or experimented with to govern the play of the players. But left unchecked, they will send pool into the pits even faster and deeper than it is now.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just dont understand why most people don't want to use a good quality wooden triangle, no matter the game.

It's not that hard to make the wing ball and the 1 ball with wooden rack..... regardless if 1 or 9 is on the spot and breaking in or out of box.....just not that hard.

In 10 ball, it's a little more difficult but still nothing to be scared of. A little practice and the 10 ball break is just as easy as the 9 ball break..... regardless of what rack and where you break from.

People just dont want to spend time "figuring out" the racks, cushions, rails, different belts, dirty/clean...etc bals, different weather conditions etc...etc...etc..

It's just more work than most are willing to do.

But:

It pays HUGE dividends if they do.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's because Shaw is an a55hat.

I love playing with pros every chance I get but I wouldn't waste my time with Shaw.

He is just a bit over the top with the sharking antics.

He is a great player but (to me) just not worth the price of admission compared to most ANY other pro at this time.

There are just way to many talented players to have to put up with BS.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
That's because Shaw is an a55hat.

I love playing with pros every chance I get but I wouldn't waste my time with Shaw.

He is a great player but (to me) just not worth the price of admission compared to most ANY other pro at this time.

The Shaw/Woodward match this past weekend was played literally 30 minutes from my house and I wouldn't have gone to see it if someone had paid my admission to get in...and it's all because I don't care nothing about seeing that douchebag doing anything pool related.

Him and his type are bad for pool.

Maniac (IMHO if I'm allowed to have one)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Shaw/Woodward match this past weekend was played literally 30 minutes from my house and I wouldn't have gone to see it if someone had paid my admission to get in...and it's all because I don't care nothing about seeing that douchebag doing anything pool related.

Him and his type are bad for pool.

Maniac (IMHO if I'm allowed to have one)
Can't blame you. To me he's kinda taking Dechaine's place. Shaw-huggers feel free to pile on. I think he's a douche.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Woodworks Racks

I just dont understand why most people don't want to use a good quality wooden triangle, no matter the game.

It's not that hard to make the wing ball and the 1 ball with wooden rack..... regardless if 1 or 9 is on the spot and breaking in or out of box.....just not that hard.

In 10 ball, it's a little more difficult but still nothing to be scared of. A little practice and the 10 ball break is just as easy as the 9 ball break..... regardless of what rack and where you break from.

People just dont want to spend time "figuring out" the racks, cushions, rails, different belts, dirty/clean...etc bals, different weather conditions etc...etc...etc..

It's just more work than most are willing to do.

But:

It pays HUGE dividends if they do.

The sounds of a good wooden rack, with room for your fingers to tighten em up (10 ball or 14.1 finger room) is an integral sound/component in match play the game should keep. Watching someone nit pick/groom their own plastic template is NOT pool. Rooms I've owned/ran before, it even communicates to the room manager, the attitude of that table. When you've got 16 pro tables going at once, it's a very nice sound to hear. THICK HEAVY wooden racks that if dropped hurt the cloth and wear the cloth in the rack area shiny.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Can't blame you. To me he's kinda taking Dechaine's place. Shaw-huggers feel free to pile on. I think he's a douche.

Pool needs Villians - Shaw, Dechaine, Earl, etc. I still love watching them all play.

We need a justice league and a Legion of Doom playing against eachother every weekend. Rivalrys spark interest.
Jason