John Schmidt has beaten Mosconi

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shouldnt be. Hell if you walk up to a freshly covered drop pocket table with no ball return and no marks on the cloth from previous playing time... how do you know?
Many tables have a name plate that is customarily at the head end of the table.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to john.
He not only broke the official record but crushed it.
But it makes me wonder.
Mosconi was all about making money to support his family and probably wouldnt do what John did.
But what if he had been offered a substantial amount to attempt it with a bonus for breaking his own record.
How many would he have run?
Assuming he would not stop at 527.
I believe with his ego he would have continued past 527.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think head/foot is irrelevant, but....

In his earlier attempts at Easy Street, John was actually playing with the balls racked at the head end of the table -- that is, the end with the name plate. That was because it was more convenient to place the camera at that end for the way the room is set up.

For the 626, it is quite possible that the "reversal" actually put the rack at the foot end of the table, but that would depend on whether the table (or rails) were rotated the last time the cloth was changed.

... but as I said, I think head/foot is irrelevant.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Congrats to john.
He not only broke the official record but crushed it.
But it makes me wonder.
Mosconi was all about making money to support his family and probably wouldnt do what John did.
But what if he had been offered a substantial amount to attempt it with a bonus for breaking his own record.
How many would he have run?
Assuming he would not stop at 527.
I believe with his ego he would have continued past 527.

Agree with you, but Cranfield, with the same incentive or prize offering, would have made sure his record was the highest.

All the best,
WW

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I think with a 100 ball cushion I might have considered it just so I could say I did. :)

Reminds me of the time I walked into Amsterdam Billiards and announced I'd give Ginky the 8 for $100 game of 9-ball. He'd kill me of course, but I'd forever get to say "Yeah, I give Ginky the 8".

pj
chgo

You shoulda hunted Buddy down, PJ!!! :thumbup:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
For some reason, I feel; even that won't please you.

A few people seem a little put off by the 626. F it. I think it’s awesome. Sure Mosconi May have run more if he cared to try but he didn’t. No one can say he would have ever been able to get that high again, but from all I hear he probably could have. But high runs weren’t that important to him so we’ll never know. JS has it now but I think others will soon want their country to have that high run and may offer some kind of incentive, we shall see.

If he hit a ball with his hand sometime it wouldn’t matter to me personally though I get it wouldn’t be official. Part of that crazy concentration needed also means not making that silly mistake for hours on end but the shot making and position play are still real.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking forward to seeing the unedited video.

Lou Figueroa

I would like to see too.

I knownone thing for sure though, if I was John, it would cost a "chunk" of cash to see it.

I'm with you Lou but, were not talking about a small thing here as you well know.

How well do you and u know? Hmmm, we know that we have run over 100 balls several times but have almost no chance of running 200 and 300 balls is, well, out if the question for us and everyone else at our level.

Now, having said the above, how often are we/anyone going to see the 14.1 record broken? That's a joke!

We both know that someone that runs 100 balls with trouble will NEVER run 200, you run 200 with trouble, you will NEVER run 300.....and so on...

Again:

I would show it if I was John but it would cost a fortune!

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
maybe thats why its not been released yet, he plans on making some money for it
id pay for it

a professional dvd id buy for sure

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
..... but I'd forever get to say "Yeah, I give Ginky the 8".

pj
chgo

About 15-20 years ago, either at the US Open or DCC, I was watching a match and a handsome young man standing next to me says "Duke Laha". I said to him "how did you know my first name was Duke?" (I had been using my middle name around the pool world for several years at the time). He went on to tell me that we played each other in a 9-ball tournament around 1995 near San Diego, CA. I remembered that it was a nice size tourney.....few pros including Kim Davenport, Mike Massey as well as most of the best southern CA regulars. He told me he was 22 years old then and had been playing for only a few years when we played.

Anyway, that young man was John Schmidt. So I can forever say that I have played the guy who broke Mosconi's record :thumbup:.

JS is easily top 3 best straight pool players of all time, IMO. Congrats, John.

DTL
by the way, I won that match :)

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to see too.

I knownone thing for sure though, if I was John, it would cost a "chunk" of cash to see it.

I'm with you Lou but, were not talking about a small thing here as you well know.

How well do you and u know? Hmmm, we know that we have run over 100 balls several times but have almost no chance of running 200 and 300 balls is, well, out if the question for us and everyone else at our level.

Now, having said the above, how often are we/anyone going to see the 14.1 record broken? That's a joke!

We both know that someone that runs 100 balls with trouble will NEVER run 200, you run 200 with trouble, you will NEVER run 300.....and so on...

Again:

I would show it if I was John but it would cost a fortune!

lol that's pretty funny you and him would be way over valueing it's worth he was live streaming it for free before ,I can assure you if he bottles it up for sale he will make some money enough to by a used car would be a feat

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 15-20 years ago, either at the US Open or DCC, I was watching a match and a handsome young man standing next to me says "Duke Laha". I said to him "how did you know my first name was Duke?" (I had been using my middle name around the pool world for several years at the time). He went on to tell me that we played each other in a 9-ball tournament around 1995 near San Diego, CA. I remembered that it was a nice size tourney.....few pros including Kim Davenport, Mike Massey as well as most of the best southern CA regulars. He told me he was 22 years old then and had been playing for only a few years when we played.

Anyway, that young man was John Schmidt. So I can forever say that I have played the guy who broke Mosconi's record :thumbup:.

DTL
by the way, I won that match :)
Lol thanks for the good night laugh

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

LOL.

Just curious, which of Willie Mosconi, Ralph Greenleaf or Irving Crane missed out on your top three of all time list?

And, of course, who in their right mind would suggest that John has eclipsed any of Steve Mizerak, Mike Sigel, Jimmy Caras, Joe Balsis, Ray Martin, Allen Hopkins, Nick Varner, Jim Rempe, Dallas West, Lou Butera, Luther Lassiter, Dan DiLiberto, Pete Margo, Oliver Ortmann, Ralf Souquet, Niels Feijen or Thorsten Hohmann?

I think we can safely say you are either misinformed or unaware of most of the accomplishments of the players I've mentioned. No way can John be considered above any of the twenty players I mentioned in the game's history.