Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
video

Well...to follow that line of thinking..."those two" haven't watched the video so they have no way of knowing how the balls were dropping. Or how the racks were spreading, or so on.

So it's really just speculation. Without evidence.

There was considerable video of john playing on the same table I believe. I haven't heard any claims that the table was modified the night before the run. Whatever was seen in earlier video of practice on that table would be the same as the last day.

Responding to another post, john said he put heaters under the table for some attempts. No idea if they were in use that day. john's own mouth has stirred a fair amount of the controversy.

Back to regularly scheduled programing!

Hu

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
There was considerable video of john playing on the same table I believe. I haven't heard any claims that the table was modified the night before the run. Whatever was seen in earlier video of practice on that table would be the same as the last day.

Responding to another post, john said he put heaters under the table for some attempts. No idea if they were in use that day. john's own mouth has stirred a fair amount of the controversy.

Back to regularly scheduled programing!

Hu

I'll agree that John often doesn't help his own case. Certainly. :p

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's so telling and comical that some see nothing but pure straight pool when Mosconi can make 150 to finish off an exhibition match to 200 and then just decide to keep shooting but JS is a cad because he was specifically attempting to make a high run when he woke up that day.

There is zero evidence of shaved slate, fouls, mid-run ball polishing, pockets bigger than the great Mosconi used or any other shenanigans....just a couple of bitter ex players who don't like John.

Is it a rules violation to call someone who claims to have me blocked a bad name? Seems like it would be the proverbial victimless crime.

Sent from the future.

Until the video is readily available you’re speculating as much as the rest of us.

Lou Figueroa

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Name any of'em, shouldn't be too hard to name a few in those last 4 t's. :p:p:barf::barf::duck::duck:

In a couple of the tournaments included: Tony Chohan, Tyler Styer, Oscar Dominguez and about 112 other players you couldn't beat on your best day.:smile:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't aware there was a Mosconi video

Sent from the future.

No, there’s no Mosconi video.

But if there was I’m guessing that unlike JS he’d have no problem releasing it, saying pretty much what he told Charlie Ursitti after a run he made warming up to play Fats: See, it’s no big deal to run 600.

Lou Figueroa

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
John should have a showing at the expo, anybody know if he'll be there? Will he be at the US Open?

PoolRookie

Minnesota
Silver Member
Ok let’s settle this if any of the four or five complaining about the record or more like jealous of the record wants to post anything w them running over 400 on any equipment let’s raise $25,000 to give them. I’m in for a $1000 of it. Tired of the crying already. Danny, Lou, world Pro and whomever that’s crying nonstop and sweating jealousy. Let’s post a video with you running a measly 400 on any equipment under your favorite conditions. If you can’t or even do half of what John did, a 313 then cut it out and stop looking silly with jealousy.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok let’s settle this if any of the four or five complaining about the record or more like jealous of the record wants to post anything w them running over 400 on any equipment let’s raise $25,000 to give them. I’m in for a $1000 of it. Tired of the crying already. Danny, Lou, world Pro and whomever that’s crying nonstop and sweating jealousy. Let’s post a video with you running a measly 400 on any equipment under your favorite conditions. If you can’t or even do half of what John did, a 313 then cut it out and stop looking silly with jealousy.

I disagree it’s jealousy from these guys. It’s more of a generational gap. Most of the folks disagreeing with the relevance of this run played in a different era than JS and hold this record to a higher standard. Nothing wrong with that, but in today’s society it’s not proper etiquette to agree to disagree. We have to argue about it and show our ass.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree it’s jealousy from these guys. It’s more of a generational gap. Most of the folks disagreeing with the relevance of this run played in a different era than JS and hold this record to a higher standard. Nothing wrong with that, but in today’s society it’s not proper etiquette to agree to disagree. We have to argue about it and show our ass.

Danny and wrldpro are pretty much the same age as Schmidt.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny and wrldpro are pretty much the same age as Schmidt.

And I am quite a bit older. I don't think age has much to do with all this. Mostly a hearty dislike (or call it hate) for JS seem to be the main motivation.

I respect all the old-timers more than most people here and I believe that most current pro players would not have a chance against the likes of Mosconi. This does not - however - mean that 526 can't be broken. A lot of determination to do it would possibly have allowed about 50 or more players since Mosconi's times to break such a record - either on Mosconi's or JS' equipment. I am sure Mosconi himself could have broken his own record by quite a bit and he probably did (he even mentioned higher practice runs).

I am sure if Shane had done the same as JS this thread would not exist. So, purely personal. If someone can prove a "foul" run by JS I would not have any problem with a shitstorm like this here. But without any proof and really strange arguments made up on the go ... this just does not sound right. I am not a great JS fan, either. I prefer people like Efren or Nick Varner.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
If a person could actually get away with sanded slates, polished and waxed balls, heated tables, giant pockets, secret fouls, RedBull shots, racking at the head end and whatever other sins people can dream up, it would have taken JS a week to break 526. If all that shenanigans was real, I could run 700 given a year to do it.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not crying and not jealous.

I just have questions which I believe are reasonable and germane to the issue of JS breaking a long standing record. And frankly, whatever someone else can or cannot do has no bearing on thoughtful questioning of what and how JS went about running balls for the record he’s claiming.

As pool fans we should all care about the integrity of such things and not blindly accept everything we’re told.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Perhaps it is generational but only in the sense that some of us have been around pool long enough to trust... but want to verify.

Lou Figueroa

Status
Not open for further replies.