Opinions On “Cue plays well”

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a member tell me this recently regarding something I wanted to buy...
"With that being said, in my opinion the Mezz snooker cue V95 did not play as well as John Paris or an Omen, and in fact I could not perform at all with it, I don't know if its the shaft type of wood or what it is, but I did not like it."

Asbani is a good man to give an honest answer like that rather than try and make a sale, props to that guy.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Generally it means "for sale"

When owners rave about a cue that generally means it is for sale! I rarely go in the for sale forum but it used to have about three out of four cues for sale that were the best the owner had ever hit with!

As so many have said it is subjective. The cue one person will like, another will hate. My cue hits very softly, I often can't feel when it hits the cue ball. It is silent too. Some people would hate that, suits me, I made it that way!

Hu

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This Post Explains The Challenge of Effective Communications......

Here is the answer that not surprisingly the majority of folks misunderstand.
It will serve you very well in life and certainly when it comes to judging cues.

For every word listed in the dictionary, there are several related meanings.
There isn’t any solitary, sole meaning as there isn’t any such word that exists.

Okay, the above is very important. When we vocalize our thoughts, we select
words to express ourselves. At the outset, you can see that words can have
slightly different and sometimes very different meanings. Only the author of
the words knows which one was in mind when spoken and the listener, well,
that person might or may not understand which meaning was originally intended.

Makes sense right? There isn’t any single word with a single meaning that exists
as far as I’ve learned in my life. Again, the definitions can slightly vary or substantially
differ. I’ll offer an example. Take the word _uck. What does that word mean to you?
To have sexual intercourse with (someone), ruin or damage, the act of intercourse,
used alone as a noun or verb in phrases to show contempt, annoyance or impatience,
used to express extreme anger or add force or emphasis to what’s being said.......

So this gets a little more involved aside from definitional meanings. When words are
spoken, there’s also body language, voice tone and inflection, volume, rapidity of
speech, facial expressions and others that help convey more exactly what the words
represent to the person speaking. As listeners, we hopefully do not mistake or confuse
what the intended meaning or message was. And then throw in the mental thought
processes of our brains and listeners will infer something else while the speaker implied
something different. This happens all the time in everyday life in casual & important matters.

So that’s the challenge of effective communications. It permeates business, society, and also
politics. Don’t get your hackles up cuz I am not going to talk politics but it is the perfect forum
to illustrate the significance and importance for effective communications, albeit at times in
very strong support or opposition or criticism of someone or something. Nuf Ced ‘bout politics.

With written words, there hopefully is more forethought and premeditation that precedes issuing
the sentences or statements. But this is very susceptible to the pitfalls of implication and inference.
What did the author have in mind and actually mean versus what the reader thinks was intended?

Sometimes it is easy to be precise with one’s words and there is little uncertainty or confusion. Yet
there’s way too many instances that come along where that does not happen and that leads to
misunderstandings, disagreements, disappointment, arguments, quarrels, anger, hatred & fights.
Sometimes this occurs between nations and it leads to war. As you can see, words really do matter.

The OP posed the question about what it means when someone describes a cue as playing lights
out or plays well? You can include other references like “monster cue” or soft hit, solid feel, etc. It
always involves using words and asI’ve tried explaining, words can and do have different meanings.
Then throw in the fact that some people know little about what they speak to start with and suddenly,
we just migrated into a new venue called “opinions”. Here is the simple answer to the OP question.

When people refer to a cue as playing lights out or plays well, they are trying to say they like the cue.
It does not mean they are speaking the truth either. Sometimes you just do not want to hurt the other
guy’s feelings, especially if they were excited about their cue or worse, spent a lot of money for the it,
ex. orig. Balabushka. It also could mean they know squat about pool cues and are just repeating pretty
common, if not already hackneyed phrases, that’s been used for decades to refer or describe pool cues.

The best answer is when people describe a pool this way, they are merely proffering a compliment and
hopefully it is genuine. Lots of people describe a duck as a peacock just to be nice. I am not one of them.
Always tell the truth or keep your mouth shut & don’t go out of your way to piss on another man’s parade.
But if and when someone asks for comments or your opinion, tell them what it is but with absolute honesty.

Matt B.

p.s. Readers may agree or disagree but any ad hominem replies simply attest to the author’s true animus.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve used my same cue for 14 years, My. baseball mitt is even older.

I turn off the noise when people start talking about quality of cues. I have no idea how anyone could have an opinion on a cue unless they’ve used it for a reasonable length of time. It’s the same with Tips.

Typical question. What do you think of ‘Acme’ cue? How the heck would anyone know unless they have used acme Cue for six months and gotten used to it? Even stranger is how the same people will offer an opinion on another cue a month later. Where do they find all of these cues and practice with each one for months to even begin to have an opinion?

98% of it is BS and salesmanship. New cues, new chalk, new tips all BS.

My snooker cue was $20 second hand. Likely twice that new. About the same price of the cue Steve Henry who won seven world championships in Snooker. I have the same box with Tips left that I bought about a decade ago for under $10.

Pro baseball players don’t change their glove every month. They don’t chase the latest space-age materials and magic stitching and miracle stuffing. They learned to catch a ball.

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
It will serve you very well in life and certainly when it comes to judging cues.

There isn’t any solitary, sole meaning as there isn’t any such word that exists.

Makes sense right? There isn’t any single word with a single meaning that exists
as far as I’ve learned in my life. Again, the definitions can slightly vary or substantially
differ. I’ll offer an example. Take the word _uck. What does that word mean to you?
To have sexual intercourse with (someone), ruin or damage, the act of intercourse,
used alone as a noun or verb in phrases to show contempt, annoyance or impatience,
used to express extreme anger or add force or emphasis to what’s being said.......

So this gets a little more involved aside from definitional meanings. When words are
spoken, there’s also body language, voice tone and inflection, volume, rapidity of
speech, facial expressions and others that help convey more exactly what the words
represent to the person speaking. As listeners, we hopefully do not mistake or confuse
processes of our brains and listeners will infer something else while the speaker implied
something different. This happens all the time in everyday life in casual & important matters.

So that’s the challenge of effective communications. It permeates business, society, and also
politics. Don’t get your hackles up cuz I am not going to talk politics but it is the perfect forum
to illustrate the significance and importance for effective communications, albeit at times in
very strong support or opposition or criticism of someone or something. Nuf Ced ‘bout politics.

With written words, there hopefully is more forethought and premeditation that precedes issuing
the sentences or statements. But this is very susceptible to the pitfalls of implication and inference.
What did the author have in mind and actually mean versus what the reader thinks was intended?

Sometimes it is easy to be precise with one’s words and there is little uncertainty or confusion. Yet
there’s way too many instances that come along where that does not happen and that leads to
misunderstandings, disagreements, disappointment, arguments, quarrels, anger, hatred & fights.
Sometimes this occurs between nations and it leads to war. As you can see, words really do matter.

The OP posed the question about what it means when someone describes a cue as playing lights
out or plays well? You can include other references like “monster cue” or soft hit, solid feel, etc. It
always involves using words and asI’ve tried explaining, words can and do have different meanings.
Then throw in the fact that some people know little about what they speak to start with and suddenly,
we just migrated into a new venue called “opinions”. Here is the simple answer to the OP question.

When people refer to a cue as playing lights out or plays well, they are trying to say they like the cue.
It does not mean they are speaking the truth either. Sometimes you just do not want to hurt the other
guy’s feelings, especially if they were excited about their cue or worse, spent a lot of money for the it,
ex. orig. Balabushka. It also could mean they know squat about pool cues and are just repeating pretty
common, if not already hackneyed phrases, that’s been used for decades to refer or describe pool cues.

The best answer is when people describe a pool this way, they are merely proffering a compliment and
hopefully it is genuine. Lots of people describe a duck as a peacock just to be nice. I am not one of them.
Always tell the truth or keep your mouth shut & don’t go out of your way to piss on another man’s parade.
But if and when someone asks for comments or your opinion, tell them what it is but with absolute honesty.

Matt B.

p.s. Readers may agree or disagree but any ad hominem replies simply attest to the author’s true animus.

I disagree
"Cue plays well" or any similar embelishment:
When I say it, I'm referring to a cue actually playing better on a shot for shot basis. It's possible that the cue makes the ball for you, taking it right to the hole every time.
Depends on a few other variables but people get the idea.

Monster players and cues that hit a ton mean nothing and it's too subjective.
I need to know the cue will make the ball every time I shoot.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I disagree
When I say it, I'm referring to a cue actually playing better on a shot for shot basis. It's possible that the cue makes the ball for you, taking it right to the hole every time.

"That's right ….
Cue plays well-
Hits all shots with the same accuracy-
Especially Inside English shots and long, thin cut shots-
Some cues are solid and draw the ball really well-
But on thin cuts and side spin the cue sends the cue ball way off of the line or aim I am making

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree

I think you are a great poster, never had a single disagreement with you, so I hope you don't mind an honest question or feel like I am targeting you.

I just clicked through your last 10 for sale threads and about 50% were listed as "amazing playing" "fantastic playing" etc.. So have you ever said, this "cue doesn't play" or anything to that effect, or do you just not say anything regarding playability on cues you sell that "don't make the ball everytime"?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

Matt B.

How can this post be considered in the same realm as "effective communication"?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would would you sell you magic wand? If it is so so great?

Make an offer. I remember when Efren sold his magic cue for a ridiculous sum of money to an Arab prince flush with oil money. Efren's game didn't slip an inch with a different cue.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Rick Howard flat-faced ivory joint plays okay, even with ivory ferrule.
I believe "Ken_4fun" and "Stake-horse" will know what I really mean by "okay". LOL

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Hit is in the hand of the beholder. What one person likes, another might hate, and vice versa.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think you are a great poster, never had a single disagreement with you, so I hope you don't mind an honest question or feel like I am targeting you.

I just clicked through your last 10 for sale threads and about 50% were listed as "amazing playing" "fantastic playing" etc.. So have you ever said, this "cue doesn't play" or anything to that effect, or do you just not say anything regarding playability on cues you sell that "don't make the ball everytime"?

" Well, actually,
NEVR SAID ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT CUES I SELL-
I have been VERY SELECTIVE With the cues I buy AND TRY AND SAMPLE-
"for example-
I just GAVE AWAY Durbin cue- on ebay-
That cue was new when I bought it
-I played a couple days-which is about3-5 hours-
then the weekend 8 ball- got 2nd with that cue-about $$ 300.00 my part-
But I sold it-PLAYED GREAT-EXECUTED ALL THE SHOTS I SHOT VERY ACCURATELY-
But -cue was ebony, and cored with maple- so I didn't care for the balance point is all-
THAT'S PRETTY MUCH THE same with anything I sell-
again,
I try a lot of cues-
SEEM TO GO BACK TO FORWARD BALANCED STEEL JOINTED CUES :)

****CHECK MY ITRADER- ALSO SAME USERNAME ON EBAY-
ALWAYS EXCELLENT SELLER FEEDBACK HERE

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member

Until the last year or so I never sold a cue I didn't play with.
The cues I actually buy are typically by makers known for good playing cues.
Every once in a while a cue is just a dog and hopefully it is collectible or desireable
in some other way where playability isn't the reason someone would buy it.
If I list a cue for sale and it says nothing about playability, either I never shot with it, or it plays like crap.
I've always said most cues play good or can be tuned up to play good, some are fantastic.

Although playability is subjective, with all the hundreds of cues I've sold of all types &
sizes, I've never had an argument over playability.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
" Well, actually,
NEVR SAID ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT CUES I SELL-
I have been VERY SELECTIVE With the cues I buy AND TRY AND SAMPLE-
"for example-
I just GAVE AWAY Durbin cue- on ebay-
That cue was new when I bought it
-I played a couple days-which is about3-5 hours-
then the weekend 8 ball- got 2nd with that cue-about $$ 300.00 my part-
But I sold it-PLAYED GREAT-EXECUTED ALL THE SHOTS I SHOT VERY ACCURATELY-
But -cue was ebony, and cored with maple- so I didn't care for the balance point is all-
THAT'S PRETTY MUCH THE same with anything I sell-
again,
I try a lot of cues-
SEEM TO GO BACK TO FORWARD BALANCED STEEL JOINTED CUES :)

****CHECK MY ITRADER- ALSO SAME USERNAME ON EBAY-
ALWAYS EXCELLENT SELLER FEEDBACK HERE

Until the last year or so I never sold a cue I didn't play with.
The cues I actually buy are typically by makers known for good playing cues.
Every once in a while a cue is just a dog and hopefully it is collectible or desireable
in some other way where playability isn't the reason someone would buy it.
If I list a cue for sale and it says nothing about playability, either I never shot with it, or it plays like crap.
I've always said most cues play good or can be tuned up to play good, some are fantastic.

Although playability is subjective, with all the hundreds of cues I've sold of all types &
sizes, I've never had an argument over playability.

Thanks for the input guys, know you both are highly respected sellers and just wondered what your thoughts were on listing cues using adjectives when selling.