2+ Years with a REVO Shaft.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
So I've had my Revo shaft for a little over 2 years now.
Verdict: I'm never going back to wood shafts.

No, it doesn't make me shoot like Strickland, Dechaine or Sigel, but there are some great benefits that I love and in my mind, for me, justifies the price. With wood shafts I could only go 45 mins to maybe an hour (max) at a time before I would NEED to wash my hands. The shaft would get all sticky and it would make a smooth stroke all but impossible, not to mention frustrating. The Revo has solved this issue for me.

The Victory tip is amazing as well. It holds chalk phenomenally well and is as close to maintenance free as possible. With other tips I've used in the past, it seemed as if they were constantly in need of attention.

Finally, given the composition, they're dent & nick free. I'm OCD and I freely admit it. A shaft with any significant nick or dent drives me nuts & unfortunately that serves as unwanted distraction for me.

I'm way past the point in life of needing anyone/everyone to think or be like me. If you don't like Revo shafts, for whatever reason, that's fine. I hope you're happy with what you're using. If you do like Revo shafts, hey, I feel ya. I hope you enjoy them in good health and play, play, play.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I feel the same way about my Meucci Carbon Pro shaft. Although I feel that I play one ball better with it than I played with any of my Original OB Classic shafts.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Besides victory tips, what other tips have you used? Hard, medium, soft. Which of these tips do you use currently. Have you used other victory tips of different hardnesses? Which one do you like best?

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...before I would NEED to wash my hands. The shaft would get all sticky...

Yep, if you have dry or dryer hands they're great. Apparently people with moist hands claim a glove is a "MUST".

How do you like not having to worry about warping from heat? That seems like a very large plus to me.

The single reason I haven't bought one is because I know what jumping is like with them, but I'm going to have to soon leave behind the "jump sticks are bad" mentality and get on the dedicated jump stick bus just so I can get on the carbon fiber bus... tickets please.

BTW, do you ever notice a click sound inside of it?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
... leave behind the "jump sticks are bad" mentality and get on the dedicated jump stick bus just so I can get on the carbon fiber bus...
Meaning CF shafts don’t jump so well? Is this common knowledge, like LD shafts not jumping well?

pj
chgo

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good for you. I'm amazed how many people change the Victory tip as soon as they get a Revo. They never give it a chance. I think the Victory soft that comes on the Revo is perfect and I'm sure Predator had a lot of $ invested in experimenting with tips when they first introduced the Revo. I've been using the Revo for 4 years now and The Victory soft is the only tip I'll use. I have a small lathe and dozens of different tips and I install a lot of tips for friends and fellow members in my league. I can change a tip in no time at all, and use any tip I want. For me, for the Revo (mine are all 12.4mm) the Victory soft does it all better than any other tip I have tried. (And...I HAVE experimented:))

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Are you sure it's making you play a ball better?
That is HUGE HUGE change.
Maybe you are just more consistent.

I feel the same way about my Meucci Carbon Pro shaft. Although I feel that I play one ball better with it than I played with any of my Original OB Classic shafts.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you sure it's making you play a ball better?
That is HUGE HUGE change.
Maybe you are just more consistent.

Yes. I'm more consistent. Making me one or two balls better.

I'm 76 years old. I started playing pool again after a 45 year lay-off. I haven't ran a rack of nine ball in decades. I don't practice very much. I play on Monday and Thursday nights in APA leagues. Monday night on 7 foot Diamonds. Thursday on 8 foot O/S Brunswick tables. a month before the Virus I ran a rack of nine ball on an 8 foot table. Last Monday night I ran a rack of Nine ball on a 7 foot Diamond. I like my CF shaft.

I'm an APA 5.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I agree. Been using a 12.4 Revo for a little over 3 years now. I've tried 7-8 others as well and besides the Revo really only enjoyed the 11.8 Meucci CF & rogue. But anytime I'm playing a match or something important it's always the Revo. Yes, the stock victory soft has been awesome for me. I love them and have also put them on the Meucci & rogue as well. I just bought a new butt I fell in love with so I'm waiting on my new 3/8x10 pin Revo to show up.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to give the Revo a try, I've got a uni-lock QR Peri butt which I can use on any revo that is QR unilock too, so I'm looking for a used one to pair the two.

I'm really happy with what I'm currently using the Meucci Pro shaft, it is a really great shaft, but I still want to give the Revo a try.

But still torn a little bit whether to use the 12.4 or the 12.9 diameter revo shaft, I'm hearing both side of the fence, and people who used both swear by the one they're using, the guys who use 12.9 say that it is less deflection and is better, then the 12.4 people say that theirs is better, I know in the end of the day is a matter of preference, but for me I've been using shafts from 12.4 up to 13mm and I like them all, I don't prefer one over the other, but I guess I have to try both myself to decide.

EDIT: I just want to also mention one fact that always been throwing me off of REVO shafts, is the fact that many pro's who went to the Revo then after a year or so decided to ditch the revo and go back to wood, what is that about? I've always thought of these as they use their equipment for money-making and their pride, if they leave the revo it is for a reason right? example -> Filler, Kaci, and many more...

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to give the Revo a try, I've got a uni-lock QR Peri butt which I can use on any revo that is QR unilock too, so I'm looking for a used one to pair the two.

I'm really happy with what I'm currently using the Meucci Pro shaft, it is a really great shaft, but I still want to give the Revo a try.

But still torn a little bit whether to use the 12.4 or the 12.9 diameter revo shaft, I'm hearing both side of the fence, and people who used both swear by the one they're using, the guys who use 12.9 say that it is less deflection and is better, then the 12.4 people say that theirs is better, I know in the end of the day is a matter of preference, but for me I've been using shafts from 12.4 up to 13mm and I like them all, I don't prefer one over the other, but I guess I have to try both myself to decide.

EDIT: I just want to also mention one fact that always been throwing me off of REVO shafts, is the fact that many pro's who went to the Revo then after a year or so decided to ditch the revo and go back to wood, what is that about? I've always thought of these as they use their equipment for money-making and their pride, if they leave the revo it is for a reason right? example -> Filler, Kaci, and many more...

I recall some testing showed the 12.4 has marginally less deflection than the 12.9 due to marginally less size/mass.

If I read into the Predator marketing materials (take that with a grain of salt), that when they say 12.4 has more control that they really mean it has less deflection. And when they say the 12.9 has more power, they really mean it has more mass.

ea03617adb6b3b3898a7047a28a147e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recall some testing showed the 12.4 has marginally less deflection than the 12.9 due to marginally less size/mass.

If I read into the Predator marketing materials (take that with a grain of salt), that when they say 12.4 has more control that they really mean it has less deflection. And when they say the 12.9 has more power, they really mean it has more mass.

I have heard some people say that some people did found that the 12.9 shaft actually had less deflection than the 12.4 when they did some testing.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Besides victory tips, what other tips have you used? Hard, medium, soft. Which of these tips do you use currently. Have you used other victory tips of different hardnesses? Which one do you like best?

For years I liked Triangle. They're still good tips, but there are too many super premium tips out there to use them anymore. I tend not to do well with hard or soft tips.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member

Filler went back to z3 until they make a Revo that diameter. Only other 2 I know went back to wood was Kaci & Daz, not sure why.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Filler went back to z3 until they make a Revo that diameter. Only other 2 I know went back to wood was Kaci & Daz, not sure why.
There is no big secret why do some players go back to what they were successful with. The reason is pretty simple and you just need to be observational.
The main thing about it...those top players had devoted so much time and did so many things to reach their level of play...while so many fans looking at them are looking for simple single solution... ...and there is no such thing as simple single solution...

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Umm thats opposite lol the 12.9 had less deflection lol

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I've been shooting with the Cuetec Cynergy for a year...love it so much I bought a second one as a back up (in case I throw a tip). ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE in the feel and performance between the two...and I could always tell between the two maple shafts on any of my custom cues. The low end mass is what makes CF shafts unable to jump as well as wood/conventional shafts...the shaft is designed for consistency and low deflection, which is counter to the properties needed in a shaft to skip the ball off the surface of the table. It's the trade off you take with LD. I've always preferred to bend my ball around obstructions...my shafts do masse the ball with ease and for me, a little more control. I put my old trusty wood shaft on for a spin recently, and the adjustment back to wood was MUCH harder than the adjustment from wood to CF. I'm never going back. I gave up using a glove a while ago, don't need it.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Umm thats opposite lol the 12.9 had less deflection lol

Do you have any information on that I can look at to do some further reading and research? Or do you want to explain what you mean and why?

Intuitively to me, I’d assume the larger diameter would mean slightly more mass therefore the cueball would deflect more. Or I would assume they balance the foam inside to ensure they both have the same end mass and impart the same deflection on the cueball. I can’t diss out why the 12.9 would have less deflection.

Last edited: