Rack outline on table bed

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for a general opinion on wether I should do the rack outline on “new” cloth I will be putting on this weekend. To do or not to do? Image1599796528.555312.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imo, if you play straight pool, yes. If only 9 ball, then just put the ball spotting line and use it to line up a magic rack perfectly straight, and put the triangle in storage:)

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Imo, if you play straight pool, yes. If only 9 ball, then just put the ball spotting line and use it to line up a magic rack perfectly straight, and put the triangle in storage:)

Agreed, it's only useful in straight pool and if you're good enough to need it, you won't need it often. Straight pool players tend to know where the rack sits.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I prefer the much thinner line that the Dritz fabric pencil gives.
Search: Dritz 667 Tailor's Marking Set, Assorted

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Understood. My reasoning behind putting it on is that I want to be more proficient in most if not all games. I generally don’t play straight pool. Actually been decades since I have played. However I practice at home alone. I will usually just toss balls out on a table and shoot to stay in stroke or practice certain shots. When I play with others it’s usually in action or tournament play. I am told that straight pool is a great way to improve on all games and since I don’t play straight pool till now the rack markings will become handy till I progress. I generally play rotation games. I also like the look but don’t want it to be distracting. So that’s where I am at.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You know I purchased a magic rack and obviously it works. 2 things I don’t like...

1-It takes too long rack

2-You have to go back and take it off and generally it ends up on the rail.

I use my Delta Elite. As long as you don’t roll the rack back and forth like some half drunk bar player then the noise is no issue and as far racks go it’s the best I have ever used. I have a drawer filled with racks I can’t stand. Out of the cheaper racks believe it or not the heavy duty plastic racks are my favorite. The wood racks wear out exactly next to the balls. When this happens it’s almost impossible to get a good rack. I hate the Diamond racks. Sorry to the Diamond fans out there.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t do it.......you should be able to get a perfect rack using either Magic Rack or Turtle
or some other if it’s that important. If it is straight pool and you want to confirm the cue
ball or last remaining object ball would be in the rack, just mark the ball and measure it
with a rack. Don’t mark your cloth because the drawing tends to fade, why even risk a
mishap and besides, the cloth looks so great totally clean of any drawings. Don’t do it.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t do it.......you should be able to get a perfect rack using either Magic Rack or Turtle
or some other if it’s that important. If it is straight pool and you want to confirm the cue
ball or last remaining object ball would be in the rack, just mark the ball and measure it
with a rack. Don’t mark your cloth because the drawing tends to fade, why even risk a
mishap and besides, the cloth looks so great totally clean of any drawings. Don’t do it.

Yea, I get your points. My wife (whom is not a pool player) says don’t do it. She feels it will be distracting. Before I marked it I was sure I was going to love it. The more I look at it the less I like it. I don’t know if it’s distracting or not yet. I will give it some play tomorrow and see.

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had to put a small mark at the back of the rack cause when I play my wife she can't get the head ball on the spot. She gets mad if I complain about it.

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
Rack

I like having the rack outlined and a line drawn straight down all the way to the short rail, I think it looks classy and old school. I don't care for the line you have coming out the spot at the top of the rack, I don't know what that does. I also like a black outline better, but your white outline is growing on me.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Definitely add the center line. It really helps ensure the rack is straight. Also, add a head string line. I always use a carpenter's pencil [or any pencil really]. It comes out much easier than marker. But anything short of a sharpie is going to be a good solution.

I put the rack outline as well as I think it makes videos look nicer. lol. A little context if nothing else.

I'm not sure what that T/cross-line is for on the foot spot. I don't think I've ever needed that (or recall seeing that) in decades of pool. But, I'm far from any kind of expert. Closer to every kind of noob.

-td

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a full grid on my table. Lines on the cloth connecting every diamond. It’s never distracted me. Just food for thought.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like having the rack outlined and a line drawn straight down all the way to the short rail, I think it looks classy and old school. I don't care for the line you have coming out the spot at the top of the rack, I don't know what that does. I also like a black outline better, but your white outline is growing on me.

I have been playing pool longer than most and I can state with certainty that drawing a rack outline
on the cloth isn’t old school, at least not the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s & 90’s based upon pool halls I’ve been.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer the much thinner line that the Dritz fabric pencil gives.
Search: Dritz 667 Tailor's Marking Set, Assorted

I'm with you on the thinner line of the Dritz tailor's marking pencil, but is there anything available with "lead" any larger than the .9mm? It breaks easily and wears down very rapidly while marking the table.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea, I get your points. My wife (whom is not a pool player) says don’t do it. She feels it will be distracting. Before I marked it I was sure I was going to love it. The more I look at it the less I like it. I don’t know if it’s distracting or not yet. I will give it some play tomorrow and see.
url]
It won't bother you at all in the long term.

As said, a nice addition for straight pool. If you are just practicing and thought break ballwould clear the rack but doesn't...
1- you will need to think better in competition
B: fuggit, slide that ball over 1cm and punch youself in the leg. :shrug:

Oh...and duh:
I prefer a line from spot to foot rail. One can easily check rack alignment for all games and it helps a lot in 1p.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have drawn the triangle a few times when people got interested in 14.1.
But I use the INSIDE of the triangle to draw the line.

Thoughts?