Have you any good stories about underworld characters you met in Pool Rooms?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Omaha John" and I went in a small town Kentucky pool room to get some action. Back then they didn't even hesitate and agreed to play both of us.

We went out to get our cues and discovered that John had accidently locked the keys in the car. We went back in and said "can someone call a locksmith, we locked our keys in the car".

Six guys jumped up at the same time and said "I'll get it open for ya," pulling slim-jims out of their pockets. One of them got to the door first and preceded to get our car open as fast with his slim-jim as we could with the key.

We didn't waste a minute and won a couple thousand in 4-5 hours.* Later that year we saw the front page of a newspaper said "ONE OF THE BIGGEST CAR THEFT RINGS IN THE COUNTRY BUSTED IN CORBIN KENTUCKY"........The article said they all hung out at a local pool room across from the original Kentucky Fried Chicken!

Suddenly it all made sense.....John and I joked about that for several days!

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I watched Jayson Shaw's infant child at Steinway billiards during the tournament. (I didn't watch the whole time, I didn't know it was a family event)
I stood watching many pros at Amsterdam Billiards.
I have competed against league players who keep their identities anonymous. I think the league I played in is full of foreign agents or espionage saboteurs. In today's generation its normal to share social media. There are no invisible worms that the NSA uses to monitor you checking your inbox for emails from people that forgot about you. They even know how often you click a website to refresh for udpate.

If I mention a name, no one will know who I am talking about.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched Jayson Shaw's infant child at Steinway billiards during the tournament. (I didn't watch the whole time, I didn't know it was a family event)
I stood watching many pros at Amsterdam Billiards.
I have competed against league players who keep their identities anonymous. I think the league I played in is full of foreign agents or espionage saboteurs. In today's generation its normal to share social media. There are no invisible worms that the NSA uses to monitor you checking your inbox for emails from people that forgot about you. They even know how often you click a website to refresh for udpate.

If I mention a name, no one will know who I am talking about.
Apologize to the words for your continued abuse of them.

justnum

Silver Member
Apologize to the words for your continued abuse of them.
You apologize you pre-tech user. Social media is a standard share. Everyone acting like they are the boss on election day. CJ started a good topic, and you are starting a conflict first thing in the AM.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You apologize you pre-tech user. Social media is a standard share. Everyone acting like they are the boss on election day. CJ started a good topic, and you are starting a conflict first thing in the AM.
Keep your tears to yourself. Look at this dumb shit you posted:

I think the league I played in is full of foreign agents or espionage saboteurs. In today's generation its normal to share social media. There are no invisible worms that the NSA uses to monitor you checking your inbox for emails from people that forgot about you. They even know how often you click a website to refresh for udpate.

justnum

Silver Member

I think the league I played in is full of foreign agents or espionage saboteurs. In today's generation its normal to share social media. There are no invisible worms that the NSA uses to monitor you checking your inbox for emails from people that forgot about you. They even know how often you click a website to refresh for udpate.

OP: Have you any good stories​

Black Ball I shared a story. You are doing critiques, stop being the internet police.

Where is your good story? Hassling me?

your not even using your real name.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Montreal...Windsor Bowl...action room in the middle part of the last century.
A mob guy liked snooker..good to gamble with...but nobody disrespected him.
A guy named Stanley used to play him a lot...so-so talent, but would usually get the cash.
A poolroom detective is watching the game intently...all the gamblers disliked him..knocker.
So Stanley makes a red ball, got nice shape on a color...puts down his cue and goes to the washroom.

When he comes back, he lines up at another RED BALL, directly in line with the knocker....
...stands back up, says “Oh, thank you.”...and shoots the color he had played shape on.
The mob guy looks at the knocker...who runs from the room...stayed away for six months.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

OP: Have you any good stories​

Black Ball I shared a story. You are doing critiques, stop being the internet police.

Where is your good story? Hassling me?

your not even using your real name.
My story is a long one. This chapter features you.
Your post- NOT A STORY- is a vague collection of somewhat related sentences that not only don't make sense, they literally contradict themselves...which is actually a pretty amazing underwear smear of an accomplishment.

And the obsession with real names, why? If you want us to know yours, type below.

justnum

Silver Member
My story is a long one. This chapter features you.
Your post- NOT A STORY- is a vague collection of somewhat related sentences that not only don't make sense, they literally contradict themselves...which is actually a pretty amazing underwear smear of an accomplishment.

And the obsession with real names, why? If you want us to know yours, type below.
CJ uses his real name. I caught a lot of static my first decade on AZB for not using my real name.
Political leaders, Trump included uses social media.

Everyone acts like their social media is going to get them sent to a gulag. Its nice that you think I am worth featuring in a story.

One time I brought a bunch of spies from Wuhan to Amsterdam Billiards. Within the first 30 seconds they had scanned all network traffic and identified everyone though their access to data networks. I never told anyone at the bar. I feel guilty about it.

Fast forward we are all adults now. It really is scary letting children know more about technology than adults.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ uses his real name. I caught a lot of static my first decade on AZB for not using my real name.
Political leaders, Trump included uses social media.

Everyone acts like their social media is going to get them sent to a gulag. Its nice that you think I am worth featuring in a story.

One time I brought a bunch of spies from Wuhan to Amsterdam Billiards. Within the first 30 seconds they had scanned all network traffic and identified everyone though their access to data networks. I never told anyone at the bar. I feel guilty about it.

Fast forward we are all adults now. It really is scary letting children know more about technology than adults.
Your fantasy world is 104% idiotic.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to play a guy that a few different people told me was dangerous and I should probably steer clear of him.

He needed a spot and we played 50 to 100 a game, he rarely came out ahead and I never won real big... Over the course of a couple years, I was probably 2-4k winner and we played prob 30-50x, I'd guess.

Dude never made any trouble with me and though we had very different home lives, I think we kind of had a pretty good rapport. I asked him once why he never tried to adjust the game and he pulled out a fat knot, said to me... I got boxes of this s*** at home, what am I going to do with it, put it in the bank?"

Things they did not reach me of in college....:eek:

justnum

Silver Member
I used to play a guy that a few different people told me was dangerous and I should probably steer clear of him.

He needed a spot and we played 50 to 100 a game, he rarely came out ahead and I never won real big... Over the course of a couple years, I was probably 2-4k winner and we played prob 30-50x, I'd guess.

Dude never made any trouble with me and though we had very different home lives, I think we kind of had a pretty good rapport. I asked him once why he never tried to adjust the game and he pulled out a fat knot, said to me... I got boxes of this s*** at home, what am I going to do with it, put it in the bank?"

Things they did not reach me of in college....:eek:
I am looking for a bunch of league players from the pool hall on facebook. Some I have found on AZB.

My family is not from the USA, so its nice remembering people I have memories with. Billiard memories of the way we used to be.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think I figured out who justnum is - Adam Schiff. Russian spies everywhere.

I worked with a man on and off for 30 years who was the grandson of a man who at one time was the head of the mafia in St Louis. I had known him for a few years before I realized who his grandfather was. I only found out when I saw his last name in the news and joked with him about being connected and then he told me. He was a great guy - not a mean bone in his body. He was connected by birth but not in the mafia.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Montreal...Windsor Bowl...action room in the middle part of the last century.
A mob guy liked snooker..good to gamble with...but nobody disrespected him.
A guy named Stanley used to play him a lot...so-so talent, but would usually get the cash.
A poolroom detective is watching the game intently...all the gamblers disliked him..knocker.
So Stanley makes a red ball, got nice shape on a color...puts down his cue and goes to the washroom.

When he comes back, he lines up at another RED BALL, directly in line with the knocker....
...stands back up, says “Oh, thank you.”...and shoots the color he had played shape on.
The mob guy looks at the knocker...who runs from the room...stayed away for six months.
That's ingenious!! Now that's how the hustlers I used to hang with would operate, 3 levels above the rest!!!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
The Cue Ball of Salem, Oregon is near the state capitol. Once in a while a state representative or senator will come in.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in Jersey in the early '60s our local wise guy boss would come in the pool room quite often.
He didn't play but liked to watch.
Every now and then he would give me an envelope and $5 to go drop it off down the block.
Never knew what was in the envelope.
I was a minor at the time and nobody paid any attention to me.

justnum

Silver Member
I think I figured out who justnum is - Adam Schiff. Russian spies everywhere.

I worked with a man on and off for 30 years who was the grandson of a man who at one time was the head of the mafia in St Louis. I had known him for a few years before I realized who his grandfather was. I only found out when I saw his last name in the news and joked with him about being connected and then he told me. He was a great guy - not a mean bone in his body. He was connected by birth but not in the mafia.
Being from New York and living through 9/11 the extremists that harbored and bred sympathizers. Its not the Russian spies that are the problem. In today's world every country can afford to field a spy team. I am not Adam Schiff.

alstl: you are the one using an alias, with a non public profile that can be verified with alternate social media. If it walks like a spy, talks like a spy, then its a spy.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being from New York and living through 9/11 the extremists that harbored and bred sympathizers. Its not the Russian spies that are the problem. In today's world every country can afford to field a spy team. I am not Adam Schiff.

alstl: you are the one using an alias, with a non public profile that can be verified with alternate social media. If it walks like a spy, talks like a spy, then its a spy.
Why would they be spying on a pool hall?

justnum

Silver Member
Why would they be spying on a pool hall?
This was early wifi, its more exciting calling it spying than saying performing maintenance and experimental tests.
Did you like listening to science fair projects? Evolution of presentation is happening in many fields except billiards.