I HAVE NO REASON TO CARE IF IT HAPPENED
WILLIE MOSCONI'S RUN IS STILL MORE IMPRESSIVE TO ME

WILLIE MOSCONI WAS A HACK
HE WAS ONLY AT THE TOP BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE IN HIS ERA WAS A BIGGER HACK

SCHMIDT WOULD BEAT HIM EASILY

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I think is ridiculous is pretending that one's personal achievements surpass other's personal efforts- when no such efforts ever existed!
Actually, this is a really good point. This is a record that nobody has been trying, in any organized way, to reach. In "regular" sports a record comes along during the course of the normal season. In this case, you have to make a specific effort to beat the record because it cannot come up in the course of regular play. This fits nicely with the idea that records do not really represent what we want them to. Take the single season home run record. They were going to put an asterisk next to Roger Maris' record because the season had been lengthened since Ruth set the record. Records are rough indicators of achievement but there are often so many variables that it makes it impossible to compare the original record with the one that surpasses it. We want records to be the final word on who was the best at something but that just isn't possible, IMO.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I think you make a great point here in your bottom line- hate to repeat all this - but why not? Mosconi and other 14.1 greats never even attempted to set high run records- they ALL played the game as a means of family financial support. I have no doubts Mosconi could have run a 1,000 if he was paid to do it. His 526 was just a casual chance attempt- nothing more than that for him!

The whole idea of someone today holing themselves up for weeks/ months at a time for this attempt is just utterly ridiculous. It has as much merit or COMPETITIVE sports influence/ interest as a baseball home run derby contest - basically no meaning at all. To each his own I guess.

It takes way more to actually WIN world championships- Post 1985 I would take Sigel, Ortmann, Hohmann, to name a few as my bets in a 14.1 competitive pressure situation over JS.
I think you and others tend to romanticize the era and Mosconi himself. Every exhibition flyer I've ever seen from before the 526 run prominently featured whatever his current top and most recent high runs were. To suggest it was just a casual throw away run for him is really not supported by anything I've seen. Yes, a different era, different equipment, different circumstances....but ahigh run was never anything more or less than a high run. Mosconi had finished a match to 200 and kept shooting. Unless he didn't read his own flyers he knew exactly what his previous high runs were and its pure conjecture to suggest you know he wasn't thinking about putting up a big number. Of course he was.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you and others tend to romanticize the era and Mosconi himself. Every exhibition flyer I've ever seen from before the 526 run prominently featured whatever his current top and most recent high runs were. To suggest it was just a casual throw away run for him is really not supported by anything I've seen. Yes, a different era, different equipment, different circumstances....but ahigh run was never anything more or less than a high run. Mosconi had finished a match to 200 and kept shooting. Unless he didn't read his own flyers he knew exactly what his previous high runs were and its pure conjecture to suggest you know he wasn't thinking about putting up a big number. Of course he was.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Saying it was "just a job" for Mosconi is hardly romanticizing anything.

Sure he knew what his high run was -- every 14.1 player knows what their high run is. But that does not mean that it was something he cared about, other than as a bit of PR. In talking with other 14.1 aficianados, it's been said that Mosconi himself thought he had run over 600 four times. And, the general consensus is that if someone had beaten his 526, he would have shrugged and gone off and beaten whatever the new record was within a month. He could run big numbers at will but he had no motivation to do so.

Lou Figueroa

8intheside

there is suppose to be a video of him breaking the record. Why hasn’t this video been produced for the world to see? you Can’t blame anyone who is skeptical until it is shown.

Reactions: Fay

Fay

WILLIE MOSCONI WAS A HACK
HE WAS ONLY AT THE TOP BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE IN HIS ERA WAS A BIGGER HACK

SCHMIDT WOULD BEAT HIM EASILY

THAT
SHOULD BRING
THE GROUPIES
OUT OF THE WOODWORK

BURMASHAVE​

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
I AM VERY FLATTERED AND HUMBLED
THAT MY STYLE IS CATCHING ON

TO BE GOOD AT SOMETHING AND WORTHY OF PRAISE
IS GREAT
BUT TO DO IT FIRST
IS GREATEST STILL

JUST LIKE MOSCONI
VS SCHMIDT
I HAVE ALWAYS FELT MORE ADMIRATION
TOWARD TRENDSETTERS AND TRAILBLAZERS
JEROME KEOGH - FOR INVENTING 14.1
FRANK TABERSKI - 14× CHAMPION
RALPH GREENLEAF - 16× CHAMPION
IRVING CRANE - FOR THE STYLE AND CLASS HE DID IT WITH
WILLIE MOSCONI - 19× CHAMPION AND KNOWN FOR A RUN THAT HAS HELD UP FOR 65 YEARS

SAYING WHO WOULD WIN IN A HYPOTHETICAL MATCH
BETWEEN SOMEONE ALIVE + SOMEONE DEAD = SILLY

WE CAN ALL BE IMPRESSED BY DIFFERENT THINGS
I'M SIMPLY STATING MY THOUGHTS ON THIS TOPIC
EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT DAY

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
there is suppose to be a video of him breaking the record. Why hasn’t this video been produced for the world to see? you Can’t blame anyone who is skeptical until it is shown.
Ask the guy who recruited you to join.

Sent from the future.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Saying it was "just a job" for Mosconi is hardly romanticizing anything.

Sure he knew what his high run was -- every 14.1 player knows what their high run is. But that does not mean that it was something he cared about, other than as a bit of PR. In talking with other 14.1 aficianados, it's been said that Mosconi himself thought he had run over 600 four times. And, the general consensus is that if someone had beaten his 526, he would have shrugged and gone off and beaten whatever the new record was within a month. He could run big numbers at will but he had no motivation to do so.

Lou Figueroa
Could be. Sounds like he wouldn't think much of the crowd that is so wigged out over a man shooting 100 more 65 years later

Sent from the future.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is stupid.

The video was available for viewing by anyone who wanted to see it.

The video was available for viewing by anyone who was willing to get out to California, on a few specific dates and times, with the attendant distractions of food, drink, and conversation, with a significant portion of the video played at high speed.

It would be akin to some guy saying he had video proof of the existence of sasquatch but then offered limited viewings in a setting that did not allow for careful study of the video. There are plenty of guys that would like to take a *careful* look at the run video but that has not, and probably will not, ever happen.

Lou Figueroa

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Thank you I am glad you understand my “Compelling Analysis.” I am very proud of my law degree and years arguing the truth for the people. My deep love and respect for this game would allow me no less.
You're a lawyer and you just said years arguing for the truth... lol. Holy shit you need to Post this in the funny pic gif thread I couldn't stop laughing.

Jaden

• Haha

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could be. Sounds like he wouldn't think much of the crowd that is so wigged out over a man shooting 100 more 65 years later

Sent from the future.

No one is wigged out.

Fans argue these things ad nauseam in every sport.

Lou Figueroa

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
According to one artist, he had at least 6 fingers on his bridge hand...that hardly seems fair.
8dec7155c32a7c8d3498f2c92f38a67e.jpg

Sent from the future.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heck, from the footage I've seen of Mosconi, Crane, and others in that era.

I'm convinced if John Barton could go back in time, he'd be a 27 time world champion .

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Heck, from the footage I've seen of Mosconi, Crane, and others in that era.

I'm convinced if John Barton could go back in time, he'd be a 27 time world champion .

dedicated his life to making cases, if not, he'd be the titan of American pool, not the KID from SD