Mosconi Cup Day One

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
There is something hanging in the air of this event this year, aside from no audience, but there seems to be a lack of respect between the players that is irritating. It's not a fun event like it usually is, at least for me. I like a good rivalry, but this year, it's not enjoyable.
Jason Shaw is ruining the cup. I don't like the non serious bantering between Sky and Billy Thorpe. I don't they should play doubles together. Too much B.S. flying.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the table played very tough- relatively tight pockets and very fast. I expect the players to adjust tomorrow

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Europe 3
USA 2
After watching the match replay, regarding match 3 and Chris Robinson’s blown apparently simple hill-hill break and run out, where he way overcooked the natural 2 rail shape from the 7 to the 8. At that point, in my opinion he did not have a reasonable cut shot on the 8 that would have left him any kind of shot on the 9. Even if he applied maximum inside spin, the scratch in the opposite side pocket was a real possibility, and even if he doesn’t scratch and goes beyond the side pocket with the cue ball, he leaves a tough cut on the 9. Also, from that angle, with outside spin, there’s no way he could go all the way down the table and back with with the cue ball.

I just can’t figure out exactly why he ended up doing what he did? It seems obvious by his speed that he was playing a safety - trying to undercut the bank and bring the 8-ball off both opposite side rails back to the middle of the end rail while sending the cue ball down the table near the opposite end rail. Problem is he accidentally made the bank perfectly, but left himself a very long hard bank shot on the 9, which he missed, selling out the game/match.

There was a much easier safety available by simply playing off the right side of the 8-ball, sending the 8 off one cushion to the center of the end rail, possibly even behind the 9-ball, while spinning the cue ball up to the opposite end rail. The shot he ended up playing made absolutely no sense, and was a clear sign he was under Mosconi Cup pressure as well as the time clock.

As an earlier poster replied, this was not a potential two-way shot situation, as the 8 and 9 were both on the same end of the table. You have to make the decision to either make it and get shape or play the all out safety and make absolutely sure you don’t pocket the ball. He did neither.

Last edited:

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Makes no sense does it. The original colors of the balls that we used for over a century remains the best!
At least for streamed matches, I've never understood why the following colors aren't used:
1 ball - yellow
2 ball - light blue, so as not to be confused at a distance with either the 4 or the 8.
3 ball - fire engine red
4 ball - bright purple
5 ball - bright orange
6 ball - light green
7 ball - light to medium brown, with a dull shine to distinguish it from the 3 ball.
8 ball - black
9 through 15 - repeat 1 through 7 with stripes added.

I don't know which is worse: The pink and orange 4 and 5 that are impossible to tell apart when they're down table, or the new style greenish six and greenish blue 7, which present the same problem. Or maybe it's when the 2 ball is dark blue and the 4 ball is dark purple. Whatever, but I do think those colors I suggest above would be far easier to tell apart on TV or a monitor (and especially on a phone) than any other color combination I've seen. They'd also have the added advantage of being close to the colors we all have been used to for as long as we can remember. What do people think?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the table played very tough- relatively tight pockets and very fast. I expect the players to adjust tomorrow
Does anyone know what the pocket mouth specs on this table are? Sure looks like it’s close to 4-inch pockets to me, certainly no more than 4-1/8” or so?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is not a friendly competition. These guys look like they are playing for blood. There will not be a gracious loser this year. That fact alone will make this a memorable MC.
That's understandable, Jay, and to me, it's perfectly acceptable.. What these ten players have in common is that they've been denied an opportunity to earn a living in their profession this year.

The Mosconi, in most other years, brings us players that have been successful in competition in the year leading up to the event. Not so this year, for nearly every tournament since March has been cancelled. Hence, the $30,000 pot of gold at the end of the Mosconi rainbow will mean more to each of these players than it ever has before.

Yes, they're all out for blood, and the camaraderie may be far less than in a year in which the event brought us players that had solid years in competition, but I think that's OK, for there's nothing normal about the 2020 Mosconi. Through day one, the event has been forgettable, but like you, I think it may prove memorable before the smoke clears.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAM

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I think all of the misses and blown position makes this much more exciting, you dont know who's going to win until the 9 is down.

Reactions: sjm

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting first match by both teams. Europe had it at 3-0 and Kaci running out to get to the hill, when he fouled with his shirt touching the eight ball. The USA won the next five games with Chris Robinson winning the final game. A good start for Team USA. I enjoyed Phil Yates and Allison's commentary. They were very good together and stuck to the match almost exclusively. Phil sems better prepared this year with more knowledge about Pool.
It’s nine ball. Yawn!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Changing ball colors looks like a money grab to me. They are selling a product which lasts decades to a lifetime. Hard to keep making money so they have to continuously make changes. Each new iteration has thousands of pool fans and room owners upgrading their personal billiard ball set to play with what they see on the big stage. It is capitalism at its finest.

I don't get to decide on their choices, I just get to vote with my wallet. I will not be purchasing a set of these balls. I will continue to play with my perfectly good set of aramith balls I bought years and years ago. I don't mind supporting the billiard industry but I can do that where I have legitimate consumer needs.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are using the Aramith Tournament Black balls. These were also used at last year's Mosconi Cup, provoking quite a bit of discussion (such as this thread -- https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/the-new-aramith-tournament-balls.502795/).

Here is Saluc's explanation for the colors: https://www.aramith.com/story-behind-aramith-tournament-black-colours.
Their explanation makes zero sense to anyone! If you have to switch from orange to pink, so be it, but do it for the 5-ball and keep the 4-ball purple!

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is there a link to YOUTUBE matches? I looked under 2020 Mosconi Cup and 2021 Mosconi Cup to no avail

Thanks
it is there, found the best shot video, then after a few rounds of that, it just went to all the different matches in order. We had a 3some match going ourselves, had music and the game on, no audio, looked good on the big screen, we just seen some decent runs, like the show, like that 9 ball, its still a good match, glad they put it out there.