We don't allow multiple accounts

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
00E22B19-BA8B-4B6D-AD6D-7CB61FC5D3A4.jpg

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
I could think of a few suspects that troll NPR, and maybe other areas here..... ;)

I always loved whacking dupe accounts on my car forums, they always thought they could outsmart a good admin....but with some interesting tools in the toolbox for catching them, they got zapped. After a few times, I'd usually get nasty emails or hat-in-hand apologies....

They're usually disgruntles whom were caught in lies, ripoff artists that got caught scamming, or jackwagons that were banned for something.

A friend of mine who was barred (unjustly I might add) said they bar your whole IP Address....., so unless you have another computer in another location and it's connected to another email... it's impossible to multi-account.

The social media companies don't just bar your user-name -- they bar your IP Address and all accounts associated with your IP.

I think they should make it a policy for people to use their real names too, because when they're held responsible for their actions and they're destroying their real identity.... they think twice about being abusive trolls.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
VPN usage is the problem for multi accounting
anyone with tips for applying that rule to a general audience.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
A friend of mine who was barred (unjustly I might add) said they bar your whole IP Address....., so unless you have another computer in another location and it's connected to another email... it's impossible to multi-account.

The social media companies don't just bar your user-name -- they bar your IP Address and all accounts associated with your IP.

I think they should make it a policy for people to use their real names too, because when they're held responsible for their actions and they're destroying their real identity.... they think twice about being abusive trolls.
Look I found a duplicate account right on this page!

Look I found a duplicate account right on this page!
I don't know Justnum...., but I'm pretty sure you guys hate him because he's probably a good pool player who knows what he's talking about and he makes you feel inferior.

There's tissues in the lobby.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I don't know Justnum...., but I'm pretty sure you guys hate him because he's probably a good pool player who knows what he's talking about and he makes you feel inferior.

There's tissues in the lobby.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I don't hate justnum (or you) at all, but for some reason you guys seem like peas in a pod. Maybe it's a generational thing or something. Justnum borders in between posts that are interesting or downright trolling. Sometimes he posts neat stuff, but other times (maybe when he gets bored or something) he comes up with some real doozies. I like the dude but sometimes he just makes me scratch my head.

L3oEaIF.jpg

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I don't hate justnum (or you) at all, but for some reason you guys seem like peas in a pod. Maybe it's a generational thing or something. Justnum borders in between posts that are interesting or downright trolling. Sometimes he posts neat stuff, but other times (maybe when he gets bored or something) he comes up with some real doozies. I like the dude but sometimes he just makes me scratch my head.

View attachment 576985

That's the same thing Black-Balls said in 2009. You must be him.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There does seem to be a few new members lately. However, there is a good chance they are legit, and maybe signed on with the new forum upgrades. Now after using the new forum for a few weeks, it is so much better than the old one. Perhaps it attracted new members?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don’t quite understand how you can track posters, other than frequency of IP usage.
I asked Dave Wilson years ago how he handled it...’cause I have logged in from work, sometimes on the
computer at work, sometimes at an Internet cafe somewhere in North America, sometimes on a friend’s
device, a little bit on my phone, two personal laptops and two IPads, and many cafes...etc.
David said intuition was a big part of tracking.
I don’t see how you can limit members to one device....I’m no IT expert so don’t feel this is an exhaustive
explanation.....I’m curious.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don’t quite understand how you can track posters, other than frequency of IP usage.
I asked Dave Wilson years ago how he handled it...’cause I have logged in from work, sometimes on the
computer at work, sometimes at an Internet cafe somewhere in North America, sometimes on a friend’s
device, a little bit on my phone, two personal laptops and two IPads, and many cafes...etc.
David said intuition was a big part of tracking.
I don’t see how you can limit members to one device....I’m no IT expert so don’t feel this is an exhaustive
explanation.....I’m curious.

You will notice an IP address is divided into four parts. Each of those four parts is a base sixteen number, usually called hex, hexadecimal if you want to be picky about it. If only the first set of numbers stays the same that is an A class license and with all of the other numbers free there can be many many people on a class A license. Class B license, the first two sets of numbers are fixed so it has far fewer users. Depending on who owns the license it might or might not be practical to block the entire IP. A C class license only has about 250 people maximum on it after a couple of dedicated addresses. Pretty safe to block an entire C class IP.

I had a wild child on my forum that worked for Boeing. They had a class B license he was logging in through during work time and involved in illegal activities. I told him he could quit bothering me with new users he was creating or I would talk to Boeing about it. He was of course innocent as a lamb, it was someone else at the same site. We have ways to tell if it is the same person with high probability. Grammar errors, spelling errors, syntax, favorite words, everyone leaves a pattern behind. Just a matter of time before somebody hangs themselves!

Hu

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

'friend'. I'd bar you even if I didn't know, you don't scream positive vibes

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
You will notice an IP address is divided into four parts. Each of those four parts is a base sixteen number, usually called hex, hexadecimal if you want to be picky about it. If only the first set of numbers stays the same that is an A class license and with all of the other numbers free there can be many many people on a class A license. Class B license, the first two sets of numbers are fixed so it has far fewer users. Depending on who owns the license it might or might not be practical to block the entire IP. A C class license only has about 250 people maximum on it after a couple of dedicated addresses. Pretty safe to block an entire C class IP.

I had a wild child on my forum that worked for Boeing. They had a class B license he was logging in through during work time and involved in illegal activities. I told him he could quit bothering me with new users he was creating or I would talk to Boeing about it. He was of course innocent as a lamb, it was someone else at the same site. We have ways to tell if it is the same person with high probability. Grammar errors, spelling errors, syntax, favorite words, everyone leaves a pattern behind. Just a matter of time before somebody hangs themselves!

Hu
Unfortunately, IP addresses don't necessarily expose the frauds. The home computer, the smart phone, and the work computer, all have different ISPs. Then, when you stay in a hotel, the hotel's complimentary computer has another ISP. These freaks can easily hide. They usually have one high post count, and several low post counts. Writing style is the more reliable giveaway.

justnum

Silver Member
rumor has it IP addresses are useless if someone controls the server logs.
which leads to the next question, are you only reading active posts or rereading old threads for edits.
its common for attackers to act like they left, but are hiding in the walls.

waiting for a big moment like the shift from vbulletin, I suspect those logs would be worth comparing.

justnum

Silver Member

so you want to persecute people for their past sins?

there have been plenty of words exchanged and the community has policed itself well enough.

was your suggested idea useful for the community? its just an empty threat that won't be realized unless you enforce it first.