Tim Scruggs cue

Jay021

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend just inherited a pool cue and was looking for information about it. Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated. It appears to be a Tim Scruggs. Is there any simple way to tell if it’s a fake. Also maybe an approximate value if anyone knows. It appears to have been used as a daily player and the clear coat has a couple of defects( see pics). Thank you in advance for any information or advice you may have.
BAA2FEE0-87C7-4044-8A0E-8B387FF1AAF9.jpeg
ED230E05-CBAD-48CB-921F-211467D38015.jpeg
7A6068F0-3648-46B1-B396-3752E0AE54E2.jpeg
EF03E81D-E2B9-4216-9B24-51DDD5F512DD.jpeg
DA1BD1B9-CC7C-453E-A526-ECEF8E5F2C63.jpeg
6F909F20-062F-40C1-82B5-270C6DCCD0DA.jpeg
C200B7F4-9F59-4321-84A0-DF23D3112496.jpeg

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like the real thing and there were approximately 17654728+6 of them made.

Very popular cue on the right side of the usa.

(It always bothered me that the shop was so quick to stain a hunk of wood)
I place value at 350-600.

Jay021

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you for your reply

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it rolls straight it might bring upwards of a grand even though it is not an example of Tim Scrugg's best work. His cues are known as great playing cues and it has the big pin unlike most of his cues which have a steel joint. I can't play with a cue with a wrap but if it was wrapless I'd be interested.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it rolls straight it might bring upwards of a grand even though it is not an example of Tim Scrugg's best work. His cues are known as great playing cues and it has the big pin unlike most of his cues which have a steel joint. I can't play with a cue with a wrap but if it was wrapless I'd be interested.
That cue is in pretty rough shape.

Condition 6/10 would be overstatement, imo...and that is without knowledge of straightness.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd buy 3 of these for $1,000

Some real dirty Cortland linen that would clean up a bunch with a proper scrubbing.

Cue worth $800 easy if it is straight. People are goffy about TS cues, so it would sell easy.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd buy 3 of these for $1,000

Some real dirty Cortland linen that would clean up a bunch with a proper scrubbing.

Cue worth $800 easy if it is straight. People are goffy about TS cues, so it would sell easy.
I hear ya. Just the Scruggs name might be worth 350.

You think the Merry Widows are more or less valued than the sneaky petes, pin/ year being identical?

Methinks the s'petes are valued higher.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue needs refinishing badly. Pristine condition might fetch $1600-$1800 but in this shape, a lot less ($750- 900).
A TS sneaky in excellent condition sells for $750-$850; if the SP had a micarta or ivory joint, more like $1000- $1200.

This cue has obviously seen better days and the best reason I can see for buying it is to restore the cue to its beauty.
Tim made great cues and I regret that I only own one of his masterpiece cues. Tim was a remarkable cue craftsman.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Condition 6/10 would be overstatement, imo...and that is without knowledge of straightness.
I agree with your assessment. If the shaft is in good shape $350-600 in the pictured condition. I would be in for $375. Refinished with an extra shaft could fetch 1000-1350. The cue is worth fixing properly. Bob Fry or Rick from Phillippi cues comes to mind.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It needs a refinish to be pleasing to the eye but if it rolls straight I'd bet it is a great playing cue - and they aren't making any more Scruggs cues.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
The cue looks bad -- rode hard/put up wet -- but I do not see anything that could not be cured with a refinish. Proficient Billiards $145.00 + shipping, + ???. What does Bob Frey charge? What is restored value?

Jay021

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue looks bad -- rode hard/put up wet -- but I do not see anything that could not be cured with a refinish. Proficient Billiards $145.00 + shipping, + ???. What does Bob Frey charge? What is restored value?
I sent bob frey an email to get an estimate on refinishing/restoring it. From everything I’ve read on this thread and other places, that seems like the smartest thing to do.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what I'm thinking. I can't play with a wrap because of a problem with my fingertips but my only question about this cue would be whether it rolls straight. With a plain Jane like that the patina shows it has been through some battles.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I started to say, TS built it and unless it was abused . . . but we can't go down that road. I would think that OP would have commented on any bad rolls, but . . . Jay, how does this thing roll? Any major defects beyond basic abuse? (Of course, around here, all of the damage we see could have happened on one bad night.)

Jay021

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started to say, TS built it and unless it was abused . . . but we can't go down that road. I would think that OP would have commented on any bad rolls, but . . . Jay, how does this thing roll? Any major defects beyond basic abuse? (Of course, around here, all of the damage we see could have happened on one bad night.)
I haven’t personally rolled it on a pool table, but the owner says it rolls straight. I have rolled it across dining room table and it rolls just fine together and apart. I plan on getting it on a pool table within the day or two and checking it myself.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A friend just inherited a pool cue and was looking for information about it. Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated. It appears to be a Tim Scruggs. Is there any simple way to tell if it’s a fake. Also maybe an approximate value if anyone knows. It appears to have been used as a daily player and the clear coat has a couple of defects( see pics). Thank you in advance for any information or advice you may have.
View attachment 578601View attachment 578602View attachment 578603View attachment 578604View attachment 578605View attachment 578606View attachment 578607
A nice playing cue that has been played hard with. A good refinish (maybe Proficient Billiards) and you might have a cue worth close to a grand. As is, you will do well to sell it for 500 imo.