Pool Tournaments During COVID Pandemic

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Thanks for

I hope you’re not serious. Do you think our healthcare system would be overloaded on the way to millions of deaths?

“People die every day ....”, what a screwed up outlook you have.
Trying to save every last person, with total disregard to our economy, and peoples lively hood, is every bit as screwed up.
This whole way of thinking is screwed up period.
People pulling down a mask to smoke a cigarette lol.
Really worried about that health aren't they.
What's the social distance standard for second hand smoke?
People bitch and whine about covid, yet the majority have no issues being in a pool hall filled with 2nd hand smoke.
And...we could drag examples of this double standard on and on for several pages.
The MEDIA has turned this into unfounded fear and lunacy.
SJM, you hit the nail on the head!

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
Meanwhile in South Dakota I went to a pool tournament today to meet a friend. There was zero social distancing and zero mask wearing. I think there was around 25 people in the tournament with another 25 in the bar.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree.
Covid will change how we do business, live our lives, and how we view health for at least a decade.
Many things have already changed greatly.
Especially business.
Having a place to go to conduct much of our business was something many companies found that they can do without,
which changes the real estate market.
Many city dwellers have moved.
The unraveling of what we view as normal now will take a while.
Thank you, Philly, for the voice of reason. I am shocked at some of the replies by members who I used to have respect for.

Then again, a lion never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep. What a shocker to read some words written by those who I used to think were lions and now realize they're only mere sheep, followers at best; thus, the only reason they even posted in this thread.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you, Philly, for the voice of reason. I am shocked at some of the replies by members who I used to have respect for.

Then again, a lion never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep. What a shocker to read some words written by those who I used to think were lions and now realize they're only mere sheep, followers at best; thus, the only reason they even posted in this thread.
That's just another way the world has changed and won't be the same for a while.
I am astonished at the idiocy of the American public regarding this virus.
People getting sick in droves and many dyeing and people still give in to their need for instant gratification.
Lazy.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member

That's funny right there!!!!
Keep the comedy coming!!

Chembry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's just another way the world has changed and won't be the same for a while.
I am astonished at the idiocy of the American public regarding this virus.
People getting sick in droves and many dyeing and people still give in to their need for instant gratification.
Lazy.
Unfortunately, it's not surprising at all. As a scientist, when all this started, I looked up all the information I could about the 1918 influenza pandemic. It seems as if history is repeating itself.

I read an editorial published about the lessons learned (an not learned) from the 1918 Influenza pandemic (link below). Here is a quote "Today, three of the leading threats to global public health are attitudinal: hubris, isolationism, and distrust"

Here is the section on distrust: "A third problem is distrust. In our era of political polarization, “fake news,” and tribal politics, trust in the media, government officials, and even science is fading. This can be catastrophic if an influenza or another type of pandemic arises. Under such circumstances, the public’s failure to trust the guidance offered by public health officials may well make a bad situation worse."

Link to the editorial: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6187781/pdf/AJPH.2018.304695.pdf

We have also known since 1918 that the use of masks and social distancing can reduce the transmission. The data shows in the cities that reacted faster had much lower levels of infections and mortality. However, much like today, people didn't listen. They didn't listen until bodies started piling up. All of these articles were written in 2007. There are also several books that outline all of this data as well. The data is available for anyone that is willing to read and learn.

None of this is new (masking, social distancing, general distrust)...So, unfortunately history will repeat itself. The questions I have is when will people start to listen? And, when the next pandemic occurs (because there will be another), will we have learned our lesson? My guess is, probably not.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, it's not surprising at all. As a scientist, when all this started, I looked up all the information I could about the 1918 influenza pandemic. It seems as if history is repeating itself.

I read an editorial published about the lessons learned (an not learned) from the 1918 Influenza pandemic (link below). Here is a quote "Today, three of the leading threats to global public health are attitudinal: hubris, isolationism, and distrust"

Here is the section on distrust: "A third problem is distrust. In our era of political polarization, “fake news,” and tribal politics, trust in the media, government officials, and even science is fading. This can be catastrophic if an influenza or another type of pandemic arises. Under such circumstances, the public’s failure to trust the guidance offered by public health officials may well make a bad situation worse."

Link to the editorial: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6187781/pdf/AJPH.2018.304695.pdf

We have also known since 1918 that the use of masks and social distancing can reduce the transmission. The data shows in the cities that reacted faster had much lower levels of infections and mortality. However, much like today, people didn't listen. They didn't listen until bodies started piling up. All of these articles were written in 2007. There are also several books that outline all of this data as well. The data is available for anyone that is willing to read and learn.

None of this is new (masking, social distancing, general distrust)...So, unfortunately history will repeat itself. The questions I have is when will people start to listen? And, when the next pandemic occurs (because there will be another), will we have learned our lesson? My guess is, probably not.
I have done my own research, unscientifically, on the 1918 pandemic.
My conclusion is the same as yours basically.
People really do not learn anything from the past.
If history repeats itself that is why.
There is large segment of the population that have no clue about simple modern germ theory.
I am sure they still think it is evil spirits that make them ill.

They will not mask or distance.
Hell, even a dog knows to come in out of the rain.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
So how many preventable American deaths are acceptable to you?

Just asking.
Zero deaths are acceptable, but we can all do our part to minimize the transmission of the disease. My observation, even on this forum, is that far too many haven't been willing to do their part. I have lost four good friends to COVID and it hurts.

I have been as vigilant as anyone I know in helping America get past this. I quarantined for two and a half months, went five consecutive months without seeing even one friend or relative, and have spent more than 23 hours a day on average in my apartment for ten months. I have not left my apartment even once without wearing both a mask and latex gloves, protecting others not only from airborne transmission but also from catching COVID by touching a surface that I have touched. I have been part of a gathering of more than three people just twice in the last ten months and have never part of a gathering of more than seven in that period.

If you, too, are doing your part to minimize the transmission of COVID, I commend you, but if you think that all the COVID deaths to date were preventable, you are just plain uninformed. Yes, this is the worst health incident we've all faced in our lifetimes, and we haven't reached the end of it, but science has now solved COVID and soon, it will be those who refuse to get vaccinated that will pose the biggest threat.

You need to reconsider your logic if you feel that anyone who feels that COVID's historical magnitude may have been overstated by some is saying that deaths ore OK.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Unfortunately, I think that COVID-19 is just setting the stage for an even worse virus that will arrive on the scene. Definitely, many have way overreacted to this virus. However, the next one to come is going to be one with a higher mortality rate and some pretty nasty symptoms.

When the next virus arrives, people won't be depending on masks to "save them". People will be rightly afraid enough that staying at home is going to be done my most everyone. What type of virus will the next one be?

The next virus will affect the internal organs, where it's like people will say, "I can't breathe," but it's like a fire in your body where your insides burn, basically. It's like burning from the inside out. It will feel like you are on fire. It will manifest like boils on the body, mostly the torso.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will be returning back to normal, like many people are hoping for. The future is not locked in stone, however. So there is always a chance that this new virus can be averted. Just consider this as somewhat of a warning. Prepare yourselves with enough supplies to stay at home for an extended period of time.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you, too, are doing your part to minimize the transmission of COVID, I commend you, but if you think that all the COVID deaths to date were preventable, you are just plain uninformed.
Your vigilance is appreciated. However, not all, but many COVID deaths were, indeed, preventable.

We have a President of the United States who downplayed the seriousness of COVID from day one, ignoring heath experts and sending the absolutely wrong message to the many Americans who were looking toward the White House for some actual leadership in this time of crisis.

We have had shipments of life-saving medical supplies seized by the Federal government and then sold back at criminally inflated prices to the very states and hospitals that ordered them to begin with.

We have had a failure by the President of the United States to invoke the Defense Production Act, and ensure that desperately needed personal protective equipment (PPE) could be widely available to hospital staff members so they could safely care for their patients.

We have had monetary relief efforts for states, small businesses, and individuals, repeatedly blocked in the Senate, and most recently sabotaged by the President of the United States himself, forcing many Americans to continue going in to work and risking their heath (and the health of their families) or else face imminent eviction, starvation, and financial ruin.

We have continued to make the claim that “The United States of America is the greatest country on Earth” – yet during this time of unprecedented crisis, and with all the vast resources this country has at its disposal, our leaders have made the conscious and deliberate choice to abandon the American people in favor or greed, selfishness, bigotry, and encouraging the very worst of what humanity has to offer.

The “historical magnitude” of COVID, as you call it, will not only be measured in deaths. It will be measured by the complete failure of our leaders to do what was right during a time when it was most needed, along with the selfish “individualism” practiced by millions of ordinary Americans.

So, when you say that the impact of COVID has been overblown in America, and all the deaths couldn’t have been prevented, I tend to disagree.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Your vigilance is appreciated. However, not all, but many COVID deaths were, indeed, preventable.

We have a President of the United States who downplayed the seriousness of COVID from day one, ignoring heath experts and sending the absolutely wrong message to the many Americans who were looking toward the White House for some actual leadership in this time of crisis.

We have had shipments of life-saving medical supplies seized by the Federal government and then sold back at criminally inflated prices to the very states and hospitals that ordered them to begin with.

We have had a failure by the President of the United States to invoke the Defense Production Act, and ensure that desperately needed personal protective equipment (PPE) could be widely available to hospital staff members so they could safely care for their patients.

We have had monetary relief efforts for states, small businesses, and individuals, repeatedly blocked in the Senate, and most recently sabotaged by the President of the United States himself, forcing many Americans to continue going in to work and risking their heath (and the health of their families) or else face imminent eviction, starvation, and financial ruin.

We have continued to make the claim that “The United States of America is the greatest country on Earth” – yet during this time of unprecedented crisis, and with all the vast resources this country has at its disposal, our leaders have made the conscious and deliberate choice to abandon the American people in favor or greed, selfishness, bigotry, and encouraging the very worst of what humanity has to offer.

The “historical magnitude” of COVID, as you call it, will not only be measured in deaths. It will be measured by the complete failure of our leaders to do what was right during a time when it was most needed, along with the selfish “individualism” practiced by millions of ordinary Americans.

So, when you say that the impact of COVID has been overblown in America, and all the deaths couldn’t have been prevented, I tend to disagree.
Thanks for a thoughtful post. We agree on most, but not all, of what you wrote. Good luck to you and yours as we continue to try to stay safe.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, I think that COVID-19 is just setting the stage for an even worse virus that will arrive on the scene. Definitely, many have way overreacted to this virus. However, the next one to come is going to be one with a higher mortality rate and some pretty nasty symptoms.

When the next virus arrives, people won't be depending on masks to "save them". People will be rightly afraid enough that staying at home is going to be done my most everyone. What type of virus will the next one be?

The next virus will affect the internal organs, where it's like people will say, "I can't breathe," but it's like a fire in your body where your insides burn, basically. It's like burning from the inside out. It will feel like you are on fire. It will manifest like boils on the body, mostly the torso.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will be returning back to normal, like many people are hoping for. The future is not locked in stone, however. So there is always a chance that this new virus can be averted. Just consider this as somewhat of a warning. Prepare yourselves with enough supplies to stay at home for an extended period of time.
Are you just making an informed guess about this, or do you know something we don't know 🤔

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh they are going to put the nail in the coffin alright, don't worry 👍.
You, Jam, Lou and the others will make sure of it.
I don't think anyone believes it's hoax, it's just they have blown it so far out of proportion it's ridiculous.
Look at all the small businesses closing, of all kinds.
People having to close their business and losing their livelyhood left and right..
Who cares though, lets cut off the head to get rid of a pimple..
Where is Jam and her almighty attitude when it comes to Walmart and all the big box stores?
Put 1000s of people under 1 roof but shut down all the mom and pops lol.
It's not an accident it is by design.
When we tank the economy though, and the fallout makes Covid look like a lottery ticket, she'll pull her head out of her ass(maybe, hard to fix stupid).

Since you mentioned me by name...

The numbers are the numbers. So maybe, to you and a few other insensitive souls, 300,000+ dead in this country is some kind of exaggeration, though I’m sure the families of those who’ve passed as a result of being infected would disagree.

So business takes a hit. Is your local poolroom going out of business worth the life of your wife? Your children? Perhaps your grandchildren, parents, grandparents? How about those nieces, nephews, uncles and aunts? Or maybe just your best friend?

The problem is that until the loved one in your arms has been taken from you, all the numbers are just an abstraction. Unfortunately, for many, it has been a brutal, bitter reality.

For the life of someone dear to me you can tank the economy and I’ll live out of a car.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Are you just making an informed guess about this, or do you know something we don't know 🤔
The future can't be proven one way or the other. This is something that I've been made aware of. The source would likely not be taken serious by many. So just take it as a possible future scenario...

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So how many preventable American deaths are acceptable to you?

Just asking.
Well lets see...since a majority of the deaths that already occur are preventable I would say all of them. How many Americans die from complications to Type 2 Diabetes which is often the result of their own poor habits and choices? How many die from alcohol or drug abuse? How many die from suicide? How many die from heart attacks where the condition is a result of poor diet and exercise? How many die from disease associated with tobacco use? How many die from exposure to chemicals in the work place that cause cancer? How many die from accidents that occur in the workplace, at home, on the roads every day? Do I need to point out all of the preventable deaths for you?

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This coming from a profile that was just recently created and has not posted on any other thread. I call BS on your excuse and saying a long time lurker when you have only posted on a thread regarding COVID. This is happening all over the internet on forums and social media platforms. The troll army is out in force.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well lets see...since a majority of the deaths that already occur are preventable I would say all of them. How many Americans die from complications to Type 2 Diabetes which is often the result of their own poor habits and choices? How many die from alcohol or drug abuse? How many die from suicide? How many die from heart attacks where the condition is a result of poor diet and exercise? How many die from disease associated with tobacco use? How many die from exposure to chemicals in the work place that cause cancer? How many die from accidents that occur in the workplace, at home, on the roads every day? Do I need to point out all of the preventable deaths for you?
No one dies from any that you named anymore.