Placement pool?

MattS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched several of Earl's commentary videos and he keeps talking about placement pool. I googled it and found nothing. How do you play it? what are the rules?

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he’s mentioned it about twenty times, maybe more.

even the billiard network people are asking.

apparently he wants to challenge people at this game, there is a shot clock, it somehow eliminates luck, and there is no break shot.

i’ve asked here on az months ago, nobody seems to know. i time stamped him in the comment section of the youtube matches when he mentions it, no responses.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a game where you have a sequence of patters, particular ball layouts. You have to run the pattern. Earl explained it to me and it actually sounds pretty awesome. It’s kinda like the different holes on a golf course

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a game where you have a sequence of patters, particular ball layouts. You have to run the pattern. Earl explained it to me and it actually sounds pretty awesome. It’s kinda like the different holes on a golf course

There is a betting platform I read about which suggests a similar game, called 7ballrun. 7 balls set up to a pattern and a bunch of snooker/pool player's in kiosks trying to run out, with different odds based on the rating of the player and the difficulty of the run. Don't think it ever took off, but I quite liked the concept.

terpdad

Registered
I think Earl invented it. If you watch enough of his commentary on the Billiard Network, you'll notice he always complains about his break & how long it takes some players to shoot. Placement pool has no break & a shot clock. In essence, he created the perfect game for himself.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Like contract bridge where the same hands are played by each team. It was mentioned here before.

pj
chgo

ParkerBudd

Attachments

• 7BR Pitch Deck SCCG.pdf
    980.9 KB · Views: 80

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I'd like to see some good players gamble at a game of H.O.R.S.E.

Could be fun to see the trick shots.

WobblyStroke

I like placement pool. I have a runout puzzle ebook I use sometimes to recreate patterns on the table and I try out different solutions (mainly the ones I disagree with the author on). The one nice thing about the 7ball runout model mentioned above and in its own thread is that they have a projector that makes recreating the exact layout super easy. The problem with this game really taking off is that places will need projectors, or ppl will need some small portable projectors to make the patterns exactly the same. Otherwise, you will be limited to patterns where balls are at landmarks (ie. diamond1 and 5 intersecting point) or the patterns will take too long to set up with any consistency.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
F14C0708-B79C-4337-B61F-920494CC1FFD.jpeg

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I have watched several of Earl's commentary videos and he keeps talking about placement pool. I googled it and found nothing. How do you play it? what are the rules?
I know this is an old post but in case it still helps or others are also curious, the post I quoted and linked to below is one I made about year ago in another placement pool thread that gives some more detail about and background information on placement pool. Also, if you do a forum search for "placement pool" but check mark the box to search thread titles only you will come up with a couple of other threads on placement pool but I don't recall that they had all that much information in them but it might be worth a look.
"That is pretty much it in a nutshell. There was a black pool promoter in Los Angeles who tried to get placement pool off the ground there for several years about 20 years ago or so. He even held at least one invitational tournament with a number of mostly local to the LA area pros where all or many of the matches were put online. I remember watching all of at least one event. Two of the players I definitely recall being in it were Ernesto Dominguez and Ming Ng. Being a local, Jay Helfert would almost certainly remember placement pool and know who the promoter was and could maybe share some of the history. The placement pool guy had a website up for many years after that which still showed all the matches, but somewhere around a dozen years ago or so the site disappeared. No idea if any of the matches are available anywhere else. I also don't remember what it was called, but whatever he called it, it has to be what Earl is referring to as "placement pool".

I don't recall all the details any longer about scoring etc (did you only get a point if you ran the whole rack, or did you get points based on how many balls you managed to get through in each rack, etc?), but as td873 said above, essentially they created a specific layout of the 1-9 balls, and each player then made an attempt at running that same layout. They had quite a few unique layouts like that, and everybody got an attempt at each one. Many/most of the layouts were quite clever and extremely difficult and the success rates for running some of them was extremely low.

It was actually fairly interesting to watch at least for a while anyway because it was all offense, and they weren't routine runout type layouts at all, they were tough as crap and would require ingenuity and precision and shot making and creativity and unique shots and ideas etc. It was also interesting to see the differing approaches each player would take to the layouts and the various things they would try or the pattern they would attempt. It did in fact make it very apparent very quickly which players were better than which.

Based on what I recall about it I highly doubt this would ever replace traditional pool tournaments because they players are not competing directly against each other but against the course as in golf, but I do think it could be something that could attract some viewing interest if it were done every so often as an invitational maybe once or twice a year (or possibly as an open but I don't know that the format would lend itself well to a very large field?). I also think many would find it fun as a local tournament on occasion as well. It looked interesting/challenging/fun enough for me to be willing to give it a shot if I found a placement pool tournament around somewhere."

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I like placement pool. I have a runout puzzle ebook I use sometimes to recreate patterns on the table and I try out different solutions (mainly the ones I disagree with the author on). The one nice thing about the 7ball runout model mentioned above and in its own thread is that they have a projector that makes recreating the exact layout super easy. The problem with this game really taking off is that places will need projectors, or ppl will need some small portable projectors to make the patterns exactly the same. Otherwise, you will be limited to patterns where balls are at landmarks (ie. diamond1 and 5 intersecting point) or the patterns will take too long to set up with any consistency.

Do you have a link to the ebook?