Video of me shooting around for 30 minutes.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Thanks for posting a video of yourself playing. I also noticed a slip stroke on a few of your shots. I don't see that very often.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You shoot a really good game and I’m always hesitant about giving advice about anything, especially on the internet, but I really think you can benefit from a more structured practice program. I suggest reading the book “Play Great Pool”, by Mark Wilson, and also mix in some good fundamental stroke training from Bert Kinister’s videos. Those guys are geniuses. Pool is a mental game. Rolling balls out and banging around are fine when the nephews and nieces are over, but too much of that develops bad habits.

Thank you for your service.

Thanks for the input. When I got back into pool 2.5 years ago I practiced using different drills, etc. for a few hours a week and played as much as I could. After a year of that I slowed way down and don't really practice anymore, my game is my game at this point.

Ok, you asked for it.

I think you look uncomfortable. You wonder around the table with not much of a goal or a rhythm. Now, I will give you credit in that it’s not like you were playing rotation or trying to run an 8 ball rack. So I get that. However, when I see a stroke like this, it’s a total give away that the main game is a bar box. It’s a poke stroke. When you pull the trigger it is reminiscent of a bar box player where the stroke is not a fluid follow through. You are timing the hit of the cue ball to align with your stroke. And anyone who plays good 9’ games knows you can’t do that for long and progress your game. If you watch the greats you will see that nice un-anticipated follow through. Meaning watch Keith McCreedy play then watch those like Varner, Efren, Buddy Hall or Kim Davenport or any of the greats today and you will see that nice follow through. Keith was or is a strange duck in that regard and could still play great. Don’t worry not trying to compare the stroke you have with Keith. Players like Keith are far and in between that stroke the way he does and become top players. You don’t have a bad stroke. You make balls but, I would be willing to bet that if something made you nervous, being the game or the money, that your stroke probably wouldn’t hold up. It’s my 47 years of experience playing the game that lets me come up with my 2 cents.

PS. I thought you would be older and bigger based on the persona you try to project.
emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Thanks for the reply. And you are correct, I have consistently played on bar boxes the last 2.5 years. Back in Omaha we had 8 and 9 footers but in Boise they simply don't exist - in any playable form that it is so I simply won't play on them unless I have to. I was out of pool for 14 years and when I came back it's all I had. At this stage pool is fun, when I go play on those 9's and have a ball hit the rail 3 times on the way to the pocket (on the SHORT rail!), or while my hand is on the rail and I feel the rubber under the felt wiggle (as in the rubber is no longer attached) it gets irritating and I simply won't do it, it's no fun at that point.

Either way, something has definitely happened with my follow through. Now I need to decide if I care enough to go work on it :)

Actually, in my other video I posted I think I mention that I look scrunched up but the video quality sucked. This video definitely shows more. Glad I took it.

Oh, and it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's size of the fight in the dog :)

I keep my dads in the chair he always used to sit in at our house.

Ironically, my old man passed away in his chair :)

You’re obviously a good shooter, but I also noticed you do have a short pop follow through and even recoil your fist and cue backwards. That might be what’s causing your difficulty on longer draw shots.

Thanks and yeah, I noticed I wasn't drawing the ball a while ago AND I knew my stroke had become a little choppy but I never spent the time to figure it out and put the two together. I did play around yesterday with hand location, etc.

As I type this I'm beginning to wonder if my eyes are affecting it. As they get worse I have to get closer to the ball. Huh, interesting.

Your forearm seems forward of perpendicular at address
But it seems to work for you

Can you elaborate? As in, how/why, good/bad, etc.?

Thanks for posting a video of yourself playing. I also noticed a slip stroke on a few of your shots. I don't see that very often.

You're welcome. I do hold the cue very loose and have actually had it slide out onto the table once or twice but not in quite a while, I do have to consciously grab it sometimes.

JC

Coos Cues
I found this on a laptop and had forgotten I recorded it, I don't remember when, maybe 3-6 months ago. I had just got done practicing for a bit and decided to just shoot around and have some fun and bang some balls around.

Feel free to critique (I'll take whatever you throw my way) but as mentioned, completely just banging balls around for a while and who knows why I did this or that.

Your table plays way too easy for a practice table. I saw scores of makes that would have rattled on my 9 foot diamond. Makes a person too sloppy, IMO you want where you practice to be as tough as anywhere you're going to play. I would take that to the goodwill and get something else. You only live once.

When I can play better than you I'll comment on your actual game.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your table plays way too easy for a practice table. I saw scores of makes that would have rattled on my 9 foot diamond. Makes a person too sloppy, IMO you want where you practice to be as tough as anywhere you're going to play. I would take that to the goodwill and get something else. You only live once.

Agreed. When I put the new cloth on I shimmed the pockets down to 4.75 (they were 5).

But yeah, 4.75" :( Was hoping to go to 4.5" but didn't want to double up the cushion facings, use super thick facings (I don't think I could find anything that would bring it down to 4.5") or buy new rails.

That being said, if I'm drawing the ball and hit hard the OB pretty much has to be prefect (example at 29:09 mark - 6B) or the OB rattles. Ironically, that has helped me on the local diamond pool tables as they like to kick balls out also.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input. When I got back into pool 2.5 years ago I practiced using different drills, etc. for a few hours a week and played as much as I could. After a year of that I slowed way down and don't really practice anymore, my game is my game at this point.

Thanks for the reply. And you are correct, I have consistently played on bar boxes the last 2.5 years. Back in Omaha we had 8 and 9 footers but in Boise they simply don't exist - in any playable form that it is so I simply won't play on them unless I have to. I was out of pool for 14 years and when I came back it's all I had. At this stage pool is fun, when I go play on those 9's and have a ball hit the rail 3 times on the way to the pocket (on the SHORT rail!), or while my hand is on the rail and I feel the rubber under the felt wiggle (as in the rubber is no longer attached) it gets irritating and I simply won't do it, it's no fun at that point.

Either way, something has definitely happened with my follow through. Now I need to decide if I care enough to go work on it :)

Actually, in my other video I posted I think I mention that I look scrunched up but the video quality sucked. This video definitely shows more. Glad I took it.

Oh, and it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's size of the fight in the dog :)

Ironically, my old man passed away in his chair :)

Thanks and yeah, I noticed I wasn't drawing the ball a while ago AND I knew my stroke had become a little choppy but I never spent the time to figure it out and put the two together. I did play around yesterday with hand location, etc.

As I type this I'm beginning to wonder if my eyes are affecting it. As they get worse I have to get closer to the ball. Huh, interesting.

Can you elaborate? As in, how/why, good/bad, etc.?

You're welcome. I do hold the cue very loose and have actually had it slide out onto the table once or twice but not in quite a while, I do have to consciously grab it sometimes.

I completely understand you’re situation. I also took a long hiatus. I owned a 9’ table and played local tournaments and money games before I took a break. Family and career took the front seat. When I started playing again it was in my local bar. I felt the itch to play again and took my TAD out of the closet and shorty after purchased a GCIII refurbed it then sold it to a member up north and purchased a GCV. I waited 6 months before entering a pool hall. I remember that day vividly. I was back at home in my new local hall. Pool had changed so much. I use to frequent Hard Times and bicycle club to watch the pro’s and up and coming amateurs play. I would have joined BCA but, I never had the time. Now I have the time but no BCA and my local room has closed. I have always had a big stroke (maybe too big) and have been complimented on it many, many times. If I am in a room and I drop a couple balls on the table, within half an hour I am getting approached to play in action. I love the game and the competition so I usually go for it. Unwisely in many cases. See my problem is not my stroke (I struggle with that at times like everyone) my biggest problem is consistency. Sometimes I can play like a rockstar and other times like a complete low level amateur. Also while I was out of the game I started wearing glasses. At 40 it clockwork. So I now have to take my glasses off about 30 minutes before so my eyes adjust. So I totally get where you are coming from.

As far as the follow through, it can be tough to change. Requires you to want to change you’re game as you have indicated then applying that new or corrected stroke to the knowledge of the game. Gets harder as you get older to change.

Maybe I will post my hill, hill match with Efren. The final shot was nothing short of amazing and extremely humbling.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I completely understand you’re situation. I also took a long hiatus. I owned a 9’ table and played local tournaments and money games before I took a break. Family and career took the front seat. When I started playing again it was in my local bar. I felt the itch to play again and took my TAD out of the closet and shorty after purchased a GCIII refurbed it then sold it to a member up north and purchased a GCV. I waited 6 months before entering a pool hall. I remember that day vividly. I was back at home in my new local hall. Pool had changed so much. I use to frequent Hard Times and bicycle club to watch the pro’s and up and coming amateurs play. I would have joined BCA but, I never had the time. Now I have the time but no BCA and my local room has closed. I have always had a big stroke (maybe too big) and have been complimented on it many, many times. If I am in a room and I drop a couple balls on the table, within half an hour I am getting approached to play in action. I love the game and the competition so I usually go for it. Unwisely in many cases. See my problem is not my stroke (I struggle with that at times like everyone) my biggest problem is consistency. Sometimes I can play like a rockstar and other times like a complete low level amateur. Also while I was out of the game I started wearing glasses. At 40 it clockwork. So I now have to take my glasses off about 30 minutes before so my eyes adjust. So I totally get where you are coming from.

As far as the follow through, it can be tough to change. Requires you to want to change you’re game as you have indicated then applying that new or corrected stroke to the knowledge of the game. Gets harder as you get older to change.

Maybe I will post my hill, hill match with Efren. The final shot was nothing short of amazing and extremely humbling.

LOL, yep, same here, kind of. Wife and I had been going back and forth for a while and in September of 2018 I moved to this house and she kept the furniture so I bought the best deal I could find on CL for a table (you have to admit, it goes good with the house). A 9' is about 6" too long and believe me for the last two years I've been contemplating it but that would only happen if chose to actually put REAL time and effort into pool in order to travel to bigger tournaments. I have also thought about getting 7' diamond as bar boxes are king here. Of course I've thought about selling the table and buying a couch also. I'm not a big gambler but I get the same affect, after a while people will want to play some.

As far as consistency goes one of my little sayings is "If we were all consistent we'd all be on TV" :) I thought about consistency when watching this video and my other APA video. In that video I was trying to be a bit slower on the mental side in an attempt at making less mistakes. Ideally, I would like to slow my natural speed (as in this video) down just a bit.

That consistency sure is a bitch isn't she. LOL.

RE: glasses, I have only worn glasses for about 4-5 years and only when at the computer but I did just get a new prescription (pick them up this week) so maybe I'll try shooting with my glasses on and see what happens.

And yeah, changing follow through now might be a bit tough. I'm definitely going to give it a go though, maybe I'll post up another video then, I'll try to be nekkid for you and DM :)

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member

I'm not sure I agree with that. Someone can always come along and say that xyz table is too loose. We don't know his facings either.
But also, maybe that is the table he wanted or could afford.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL, yep, same here, kind of. Wife and I had been going back and forth for a while and in September of 2018 I moved to this house and she kept the furniture so I bought the best deal I could find on CL for a table (you have to admit, it goes good with the house). A 9' is about 6" too long and believe me for the last two years I've been contemplating it but that would only happen if chose to actually put REAL time and effort into pool in order to travel to bigger tournaments. I have also thought about getting 7' diamond as bar boxes are king here. Of course I've thought about selling the table and buying a couch also. I'm not a big gambler but I get the same affect, after a while people will want to play some.

As far as consistency goes one of my little sayings is "If we were all consistent we'd all be on TV" :) I thought about consistency when watching this video and my other APA video. In that video I was trying to be a bit slower on the mental side in an attempt at making less mistakes. Ideally, I would like to slow my natural speed (as in this video) down just a bit.

That consistency sure is a bitch isn't she. LOL.

RE: glasses, I have only worn glasses for about 4-5 years and only when at the computer but I did just get a new prescription (pick them up this week) so maybe I'll try shooting with my glasses on and see what happens.

And yeah, changing follow through now might be a bit tough. I'm definitely going to give it a go though, maybe I'll post up another video then, I'll try to be nekkid for you and DM :)

BTW, it takes a lot of balls to post your game up for thousands of people to pick at. So you have my respect for that.

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member

No need to replace a table if it's a bit to easy to drop balls. Just get some pocket reducers, cheap fix and you can take them with you to practice if you wanted.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I found this on a laptop and had forgotten I recorded it, I don't remember when, maybe 3-6 months ago. I had just got done practicing for a bit and decided to just shoot around and have some fun and bang some balls around.

Feel free to critique (I'll take whatever you throw my way) but as mentioned, completely just banging balls around for a while and who knows why I did this or that.

Kid can play some!

You should check out our Beat the Ghost thread and post somethng. It always seems to be the same players, so it would be nice to see some new players.

Last edited:

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
when I see a stroke like this, it’s a total give away that the main game is a bar box.
I don't see this as a bad thing if bar boxes are what he usually plays... There was a post here a while back from a 9' table player. He was entered in a tournament with 7' tables on short notice, and he was here asking for any last minute advice on the 7's. I recall a lot of the posts effectively telling him to "shorten-up" his stroke.

The shooting in this video looks good but it's lackadaisical. Difficult to critique without a frame of reference as to what is going on. Next time mix-in some break shots and a format, so the viewer has a frame of reference. I understand you may not have intended to post this video. Just a suggestion for the future if you want to get serious about having people critique your shooting.

JC

Coos Cues
Kid can play some!

You should check out our Beat the Ghost thread and post somethng. It always seems to be the same players, so it would be nice to see some new players.
I watched your video yesterday and the first thing that came to my mind was "I wonder what Tate's fargo rating is"

We have the BU thread and the beat the ghost thread but today Fargo rating has become bigger I think it may be time for a "What's your fargo" thread stickied with the poster's name and some video of them playing in competition if possible even it it's just against a buddy for a dime.

I'm guessing your fargo at 660-670.

I am getting my camera setup squared away and will be posting a "ghost beats me" video this year.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I watched your video yesterday and the first thing that came to my mind was "I wonder what Tate's fargo rating is"

We have the BU thread and the beat the ghost thread but today Fargo rating has become bigger I think it may be time for a "What's your fargo" thread stickied with the poster's name and some video of them playing in competition if possible even it it's just against a buddy for a dime.

I am getting my camera setup squared away and will be posting a "ghost beats me" video this year.
Thank you. It's 630, that's a good guess. At least it used to be when we could play - no action the last few years for me. If I posted one of me missing balls for 30 minutes you would have guess 430 😉. Will enjoy watching your videos.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

LOL, "ghost beats me", that's probably what mine should be called also.

Kid can play some!

Thanks and we'll see. I realized this video was taken shortly before the Wyoming Energy Classic I went to back in September. I bet I've played less than 100-150 games since then but league is starting in 1 month so I do plan on getting some practice in.