2021 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2021 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

It’s a new year, and everyone is on a clean slate. Let's see who can back up their written posts with game play for bragging rights :);)o_O:LOL: If you have a video of your run, link it, and I will add it to this post. Neither video or skill are required to participate, only a will to participate is:)

1st post will be kept up to date with latest scores. See 2nd post for “suggested” rules.

Prior Year Threads:
2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015

6-Ball Ghost Ranking (BIH after break, luck counts)
1. 13-0 - Side Pocket - Jan 18 - Video 13-0
2. 7-2 - kling&allen - Jun 5 - Video 7-2
3. 4-7 - iusedtoberich - Jan 1

9-Ball Ghost Ranking (BIH after break, luck counts)
1. 9-0 - Side Pocket - Jun 27 - Video 9-0 - Also Video 7-1, Video 7-1, Video 7-1, Video 7-1, Video 7-1, Video 7-1, Video 7-2, Video 7-2, Video 7-4
2. 7-0 - Poolmanis - Dec 17
3. 7-1 - TATE - Feb 16 - Video 7-1 - Also Video 7-3
4. 7-2 - highkarate - Jun 29 - Video 7-2
5. 7-3 - 9BallKY - Jan 3 - Video 7-3 - Also Video 7-3, 6-6 unfinished
6. 7-4 - RunEmOut08 - Jan 6 - Video 7-4
7. 7-6 - peppersauce - Mar 8 - Video 7-6
8. 7-6 - JC - Mar 19 - Video 7-6 - Also 6-7, Video 5-7
9. 5-7 - iusedtoberich - Feb 1 - Video 5-7 - Also Video 3-7, 3-7, 3-7, 1-7, 1-7, 1-7, 0-7

9-Ball Pro Ghost Ranking (No BIH after break, luck counts)
1. 7-6 - The_JV - Jun 2

10-Ball Ghost Ranking (BIH after break, luck counts)
1. 8-0 - Poolmanis - Jan 12 - Also Video 7-1 w/commentary, Video 15-6
2. 7-0 - The_JV - Mar 16 - Video 7-0 w/commentary - Also Video 7-3 w/commentary, 7-5
3. 7-1 - Side Pocket Mar 29 - Video7-1
4. 7-3 - Gatz - Jan 1 - Video 7-3
5. 10-11 - BasementDweller - Feb 22 - Video 10-11 Prt 1, Video 10-11 Prt 2 - Also Video 9-11 Prt 1, Video 9-11 Prt 2, Video 9-11 Prt 3
6. 3-7 - peppersauce - Mar 8 - Also Video 2-7, 0-7, Video 5-4

10-Ball Pro Ghost Ranking (No BIH after break, luck counts)
1. 7-2 - Poolmanis - Nov 4 - Video 7-2

Random Ghost (rotation, snooker, etc..)
1. 8 Ball Pro (no BIH) - 7-6 -Side Pocket - May 23 - Video 7-6
1. 8 Ball Semi Pro - 7-2 - Side Pocket - May 17 - Video 7-2
1. Virtual Pool Simulation Game - 7-2 - BeiberLvr - Jan 6 - Video 7-2, Also Video 7-3, Video 6-7
1. One Pocket Ghost - Poolmanis - Feb 17 - Video w/commentary

Straight Pool
Straight pool has its own 16 year running challenge. Go to this thread to join!
Link

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Suggested Rules

“SUGGESTED” GHOST CHALLENGE RULES.
Feel free to modify as you see fit.

All games:
-Race to 7
-Break, take ball in hand and try to run out
-Runout is a win for you
-Miss or foul is a win for the ghost
-Cue ball fouls only
-Break scratch - no penalty, take ball in hand and continue *Some prior years this was all balls spot on a break scratch. Relaxed this year as most people don't do that anyway.
-No restrictions on racking or breaking (magic rack, pattern racking, soft break, are ok)
-Money ball on the break spots up if it goes in the two foot pockets. If it goes in any other pocket, its a win.
-Jump cues ok.

6/9/10-ball specific rules:
-Flukes count
-Early money ball (combo/carom) is a win for you (including BIH shot)
*This year we made the 10 ball rules the same as the 9 ball rules, we removed the WPA of call shot and 10 ball last requirement, as most people on the local/practice level seem to play 10 ball by 9 ball rules.

8-ball specific rules:
-BIH anywhere on table after the break, and can shoot inside or outside of the kitchen.
-8 on the break spots up (not a win)

Pro version for 6/8/9/10
-No BIH after break
-Break scratch is a loss of game

Video uploads are not required to participate, but encouraged if you have the means to do so.

Please post your score (you-ghost), and a link to your video (optional). Happy shooting!

Scores are listed in the main post with the information below:
W-L - Member Name - Date - Also, Prior lower scores.

Races to 7 (or higher) will be ordered by W-L first, and date of play 2nd. Races lower than 7 will be ranked lower in the list.

In an effort to make record keeping easier, I will not be recording table size, table type, pocket size, etc, like we did in some years past. Feel free to add that to your own post if you like.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all. I revised the suggested rules slightly this year to make it more inline with what is usually played at the local level:
-balls don’t spot if a break scratch (break scratch still a loss on pro versions).
-10 ball played by 9 ball rules, not WPA rules.

As always, the rules are suggestions, and you can modify them harder or easier as you see fit.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Played the 9 ball ghost today since I was off from work. Started off good but had some self inflicted losses. Ended up winning 7-3.
9ft Diamond pro cut pockets. 591 prelimary fargo rate
Well done. I like your patience and effort in planning you give each table.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well done. I like your patience and effort in planning you give each table.
Thanks. Actually patience is one of the toughest things for me especially when practicing by myself. Lots of times I find myself speeding up and two stroking balls. Before long I’m missing easy shots. It’s a tough game to master.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Thanks. Actually patience is one of the toughest things for me especially when practicing by myself. Lots of times I find myself speeding up and two stroking balls. Before long I’m missing easy shots. It’s a tough game to master.
Me too, exactly the same with me. It's the next step for me, practicing patience and lucidity at the table, seeing more options. I am trying to break my tendency to rush the shot.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played the 9 ball ghost today since I was off from work. Started off good but had some self inflicted losses. Ended up winning 7-3.
9ft Diamond pro cut pockets. 591 prelimary fargo rate
all losses are self inflicted losses when playing ghost.. ;):unsure:

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
all losses are self inflicted losses when playing ghost.. ;):unsure:
Sometimes the balls just tie up to where you can’t get out against the ghost. All of my errors were just position errors which is my fault. I’ve had the one ball get tied up several times and not have a shot even with ball in hand.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With most companies moving towards remote work due to COVID, I figured why not do the same with this thread. Especially since I haven't been to an actual pool room in months. This is the only way to keep my pool mind fresh. So here are a few attempts at the virtual ghost :)

6-7
(no sound on this one)

7-3

7-2

You don't have to add these to the OP.

JC

Coos Cues
Anyone else notice the ghost never wins game one playing anyone? Hmmm.

Is that because the respectable set on film follows a beat down by the ghost like with me? Being real here.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is that because the respectable set on film follows a beat down by the ghost like with me? Being real here.
I have a few ghost matches on my Youtube with ghost winning first rack. My win percentage against ghost in 10ball is probably 50/50, my table is stupid tight lol. 9ball, ghost stands no chance, why I don’t even bother with it anymore. 8ball, no ball in hand, I usually win, but if its a close match I don’t even bother posting it, as i’m always trying to beat my best recorded score.

Probably don’t see ghost winning first rack because people are trying to post their best possible score and starting off with a loss doesn’t help.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If I play 9-ball ghost i try beat it to zero. If i run 5 racks and miss i start over. Unless I am playing without ball in hand or i have decided before match i gonna post it no matter what score. Also if there is racks/play that are interesting IMO i might post it. I could post 100 matches where i beat ghost easy but they are not that nice to watch. I normally glance over stuff to see my mistakes and bad habits. More i like to watch when i done good and i try emulate that on next time :)