Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Oh, no, not another one. This time a Billiard Hall of Famer:

Had a great time at the clinic this past weekend. The venue was Mike Durbin’s Billiard Arena. Love going there and playing in the room with such great Equipment. My thanks to Mike Durbin. Definitely pool’s answer to baseball’s field of dreams. It was a real boot camp for pool instruction.

We had three instructors Mark Wilson, John Schmidt and myself. The weekend started out on Friday night with a 4 hour review of John Schmidt’s record beating straight pool run of 625 balls. Jerry McWorter helped John with the presentation. Jerry is a 100 ball runner in straight pool himself and an outstanding cue maker. It was so informative and entertaining. To me just making 44 break shots in a row is phenomenal.

Glad I got to see this run with the narration and inside scoop from John and Jerry. Next on Saturday and Sunday we got down to the business with the hands on instructional part of the the clinic. The students really worked hard. It was so much fun because the students came with so much excitement and enthusiasm.

Thanks to all the students and as usual picked up some valuable information myself. Hard to accomplish anything without enthusiasm.

Nick Varner

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
As previously mentioned in this thread, John Schmidt gave a showing of the video at

Colleary’s Bistro,​
2143 N. Tustin Street, Suite A6 Orange, CA​
Sun, March 8th 4:00 – 8:00pm​

I flew down around noon and showed up a hour or so early. Jerry and Jan McWorter were helping get the room set up. Colleary's is an up-scale Italian restaurant. I went and got a snack and coffee and came back about 3:30 when people were starting to filter in.

The main dining area was set up with seats mostly facing a large-screen TV. While people were arriving, the TV was showing part of Crane's 150 against Balsis and Pete Smith's film short of Willie Mosconi's life including the five-rail kick shot to beat Andrew Ponzi in the one hole.

The presentation ended up with about 50 in the audience at $50 each. We were lightly encouraged to buy food and drink from the restaurant but it was not required. I skipped the appetizers and went straight to the spaghetti and meat balls.:eek:ink::thumbup2: I'd like to thank the members here who help with expenses.

After a brief introduction we began watching John's 626 from the first shot. Every shot was shown clear through to the miss (a tricky combination with five balls remaining on the table) for shot 627.

There were basically three modes of playback. Some of it was with voice-over that had been added about a month after the run. The voices included John, Jerry, Doug Desmond (who provided major logistical support and racking during the attempts) and I think Lou Sardo.

During other portions the voice-over was turned off and Jerry and John discussed John's playing history, problems in the section of the run we were watching, and other pool-related stuff.

In the third mode the live narration continued but the video was played at 2X speed to save some time. This was roughly from ball 300 to ball 480. It was returned to normal speed before John passed his previous high run of 490 (on a break shot), the even 500, and numbers 526 and 527. We continued to the end at normal speed.

Around 580 was the only shot I would call a little questionable for a normal match shot. It was right after a break and the cue ball was close to the foot rail and near the left foot pocket. There was no obvious direct shot. A three-ball combo to the side was nearly straight but the balls were all spread out. John played a carom off a ball at about the bottom of the rack to hit a ball near the foot rail and about 10 inches from the pocket. As far as a legitimate match shot, I'd say it was 50-50. There may have been a safe with a little dink to freeze the cue ball to the back of a ball, but in that situation, you are not favored to get the first opening.

The shot for 627 (with five balls left on the table) was an off-angle combo near the right side of the rack in a cluster of three balls. Other shots he could have taken were his break ball on the left side of the rack or a ball on the head string near the right rail. (Directions as viewed from the head of the table, which is where the camera was.) It was really a two-ball combo and John said the third ball probably kept him from cutting the first ball enough to make the shot.

There was no mention of an NDA.

Every shot was shown.

I saw no touch fouls and I was looking for them.

Whoever wants to see the run for themselves should follow http://www.hihatentertainment.com/tickets or maybe call the number listed there to find out about future events. That's Jerry and Jan McWorter who are arranging the presentations.

gerryf

Spend an evening with
WINNER of U.S. Open 9 Ball,
Straight Pool 14.1 World Champion,

Inducted into Straight Pool Hall of Fame,

well over 30 Pocket Billiard Titles and

NEW STRAIGHT POOL 14.1
WORLD RECORD HOLDER

JOHN SCHMIDT “Mr. 626”

Get first hand commentary with Live Q&A.

Film begins promptly at designated time.

Space is limited. Tickets are $50.00

(two item minimum purchase required at the venue)

I would go if I could

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny and Radar seem to be absent. I am getting worried.
I have called the state patrol and the hospitals...and nothing?
It is a little disappointing to not have them to converse with anymore.

Of course, neither username had anything of substance for a looooooong time, so I guess it was predictable.

Idioticly derivative insults that rhyme is all xdoodarx had left anyway and he was so disappointed in his output he had to delete pretty much all of them.

I just hope TCC and hastey can recover from the horrors inflicted upon them.

:LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are not apart of their 'semi public' thats is OK, also if you have a table and practice 14.1 on a regular basis - your opinion is valuable to me. Please note that I do like Westerns - just not the one schmidt, charlie and the bca are TRYING to produce. If yer a member of john's facebook crowd - yer opinion has less value. Only honest answers are appreciated - I am passionate about the game and keeping it legit so I again I'm only interested in reading genuine responses. Thanks for your participation in what is very possibly another media experiment on the 'general public'. So is it legit? Or do you think (like me) it had a great deal to do with his recent new cue sponsor and hall of fame induction? Also do ya'll think they ( crooked powrs that b) have a legal right to make such a grandiose claim and not offer the video to general population - as proof of their 'claim'?
What are you trying to say?

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just hope TCC and hastey can recover from the horrors inflicted upon them.

:LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL:

Several times I read posts from xHairyRadarx calling them out to lace up gloves and step in the ring for a few rounds. Those post were always deleted/modified in record time. (Wish I would have quoted it for posterity)

I never did receive such an invitation- so in that regard I feel like I missed the mark somehow.

Glad to see the trio of users, xPPx- “deep_state_fake” and “need_HOF_validation”, have pumped the brakes on the question of validity of the run.

For Fks sake- a fella should only eat a bit of crow and not the whole damn flock.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Not so much...

Capture normal.JPG

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Today I was asked how long it would take someone to run 600 balls.

I asked if he was talking about the JS run and he said yes. He said he saw on FB about the Durbin showing and wanted to know if he was playing the whole run. I said I wasn't 100% sure but doubted that since it had been described as more of a TED Talk type thing with some schmoozing afterwards.

And this guy, who is an accomplished pool player of many years said, "Well, you'd want to see the whole run right?"

I laughed and said, "Yup."

And the guy said, "Otherwise, how do you know he really did it?!"

Lou Figueroa
livin' in
the Show Me state
This

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Nick Varner Falcon cues/predator cues - business interest - yes. Mark Wilson adopted like John - yes, I take no persons word for what they have seen in a theater show/virtual reality chopped video format - as verifiable evidence - nor should anyone else that has an ounce of sense. I choose to remain a skeptic about this elusive hollywood 626 storie' - until they release the unedited tape to Open Public. I will never adopt' the new chopped video as a record until I see unedited proof (I'm not alone), all I have seen as proof of this 626 claim from c.w., j.s., and bca/pred cue = nothing more than edited commercials. Wow that is some 'record' of fake news journalism. Just fyi - I was honored to be a member of the Mosconi cup team, I wore the American vest and team USA won the Cup - yet after two years myself and many others are not allowed to see unedited footage that Mosconi's 526 - has indeed been surpassed. No matter how they try, they will not be able to sweep the chopped video 626 under the rug.

Danny Harriman
also from 'show me' state

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
It has been advertised on Facebook that there is a three day clinic in Illinois, with JS, Mark Wilson and Nick Varner. Its posted on Mr. Varners Facebook page, as well as JS and Mark Wilson's. It is also advertised that there will be a showing of the run. I can't link any of that as I can't access Facebook from this computer. I will assume that others here can, if they so choose. Of course there are no details about how the run will be shown, since it only seems to matter to you and Lou and WorldPro, and some others, I suppose. Regardless, after the weekend, I assume there will be some posting and comments available. We shall see.
What a solid source for reliable/verifiable journalism - facebook - nothing up the sleeve there. Hah ha I was wondering when fakebook would slither into the thread. Do you think facebook is a trusted and or reliable source for news?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
What a solid source for reliable/verifiable journalism - facebook - nothing up the sleeve there. Hah ha I was wondering when fakebook would slither into the thread. Do you think facebook is a trusted and or reliable source for news?

When the posting comes from a persons personal account, I take that as coming from them. Yes, there are some crazy things associated with facebook and all social media, as well as the internet in general. But the basic premise and usage of facebook, personal postings, remains pretty reasonable.

Nick Varner doesn't go posting lots of things on his timeline. When you see a posting, its pretty safe that its him.

We can believe that posting is him as much as we can believe that the person posting here on AZB is you. None of us can see you posting it. Are you really you, here on AZB? I think you are, and I believe that Nick Varner is actually him, and him posting those thoughts, on the eeeeeeevil Facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.