Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryf

I don't know.

Doing some back-of-the-envelope estimations based upon what he is doing traveling around -- it's a hard way to scratch out any kind of profit after expenses.

Lou Figueroa
I was thinking about that. I thought he was having a showing every two days, but I've heard since that he's been having some on successive days.

At $2500/show that's pretty decent. I don't think he has to pay for the room as the ad says that food and drink aren't free, and there is a two drink minimum. So if he has some way to keep travel costs down (staying with friends), he could probably clear a couple of thousand a week if not more.

(In my city, the cost of renting a meeting room in one of the convention hotels is $125/evening. So even if he has to pay for a meeting room, he should still be doing all right.)

That's more income that most pro players get from playing in tournaments. And of course, John is free to play for money when he isn't commentating his run.

From the positive reaction on the internet, i think his approach to marketing is far more sensible than just trying to sell the video for $29 a throw.

I suspect that once he's run out of crowds, he may do a video of the evening presentation, and sell that directly. I"d buy that too.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about that. I thought he was having a showing ever two days, but I've heard since that he's been having some on successive days.

At $2500/show that's pretty decent. I don't think he has to pay for the room as the ad says that food and drink aren't free, and there is a two drink minimum. So if he has some way to keep travel costs down (staying with friends), he could probably clear a couple of thousand a week if not more.

That's more income that most pro players get from playing in tournaments. And of course, John is free to play for money when he isn't commentating his run.

From the positive reaction on the internet, i think his approach to marketing is far more sensible than just trying to sell the video for $29 a throw.

I suspect that once he's run out of crowds, he may do a video of the evening presentation, and sell that directly. I"d buy that too.

Well, the truth is we don't know if he's selling out the venue and/or has to hand off some dough to the venue.

Of course staying with friends would help, as would other cost cutting measures (Motel 6 and McDonald's anyone) but it's still tough. I doubt anyone is going to make a decent profit.

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"two gentleman from chicago (j.s. backers) traveled to watch John play - I am from Massachusetts". In that particular statement u never mentioned my name, so I assumed that was yer tell - to the public as to whom u were pullin fer."

Jesus. That is crazy talk.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
U certainly are full of urself. Since u r so expert at splaining, go ahead and splain it here and now. BCA-Pool has no such verification process anywhere on its webpage. Must be ur imagination playing tricks on ur mind again.
Waiting for u.
Why the F would it be on their website? Do you think hundreds of people go there every day to see what they need to do to break a record? Do you think the NFL public site has criteria for setting field goal records?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Well, the truth is we don't know if he's selling out the venue and/or has to hand off some dough to the venue.

Of course staying with friends would help, as would other cost cutting measures (Motel 6 and McDonald's anyone) but it's still tough. I doubt anyone is going to make a decent profit.

Lou Figueroa
Yikes...something we agree on. That hasn't happened since before the pandemic (or hoax if you prefer).

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I don't know.

Doing some back-of-the-envelope estimations based upon what he is doing traveling around -- it's a hard way to scratch out any kind of profit after expenses.

Lou Figueroa
Yet, pool players travel to tournaments with the same expenses not even knowing if they will cash. It's a fuking lock to travel when you know you are cashing, and not 10th place, but 1st on every trip. He's making money, putting his name out there, cementing his name in the history books. And probably selling some pool DVD's and autographs while he's at it, and maybe robbing a shortstop or two in the process. ;) Not a bad gig at all.

gerryf

...and i'm sure in every city he goes, there are people (like me) who would happily play against him for money. I'd lose, but would relish the opportunity.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
This piece also claims mosconi's 526 was not clean, if one is to maintain strict adherence to rules.
Willie told me about several runs when I had spoken to him. he thought he had ran at the 600 mark about 4 times. He didnt count the runs because he felt it was just practice when he ran them.

Is Mike Sigel the best ever? | Page 10 | AzBilliards Forums post 188 says Cranfield ran a 493 and a 490 back to back WOW.
Also to note Cranfield ran over 700 twice including a 768
This needs to be updated but has a couple runs over 626 Straight Pool 14-1 High Runs (ardalen.com)
Here is the best interview ever on Mosconi or anything else concerning high runs. Well worth listening to it to get educated. Real good starting about the 6 minute mark. At 66 years old Mosconi ran 589 made his break shot and quit. Another big run that never got credit and witnessed by Charlie Ursetti from the beginning to the end.
https://www.facebook.com/mr3cushion...f_t=video_processed&notif_id=1542760693483993

So 626 is at best the 4th highest run. It might be Schmidts high run but not the highest run ever and thats the truth and the bottom line BCA or whoever else can say different if they want but they just dont know the truth.

Attachments

• cranfield record article (1).jpg
    cranfield record article (1).jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 120

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Willie told me about several runs when I had spoken to him. he thought he had ran at the 600 mark about 4 times. He didnt count the runs because he felt it was just practice when he ran them.

Is Mike Sigel the best ever? | Page 10 | AzBilliards Forums post 188 says Cranfield ran a 493 and a 490 back to back WOW.
This needs to be updated but has a couple runs over 626 Straight Pool 14-1 High Runs (ardalen.com)
Here is the best interview ever on Mosconi or anything else concerning high runs. Well worth listening to it to get educated. Real good starting about the 6 minute mark. At 66 years old Mosconi ran 589 made his break shot and quit. Another big run that never got credit and witnessed by Charlie Ursetti from the beginning to the end.
https://www.facebook.com/mr3cushion...f_t=video_processed&notif_id=1542760693483993

So 626 is at best the 4th highest run. It might be Schmidts high run but not the highest run ever and thats the truth and the bottom line BCA or whoever else can say different if they want but they just dont know the truth.
So for 65 years, nobody makes a stink about whether 526 was actually the record or not, because it was Mosconi after all. But suddenly when someone beats it..." oh, that wasn't actually the record".

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Looking forward to clicking them links. Shame 14.1 has become such a fringe game of a fringe sport. 3c billiards might be more so, though. Friggin travesty, imo.

My point in the repost was limited to the application of standards.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yet, pool players travel to tournaments with the same expenses not even knowing if they will cash. It's a fuking lock to travel when you know you are cashing, and not 10th place, but 1st on every trip. He's making money, putting his name out there, cementing his name in the history books. And probably selling some pool DVD's and autographs while he's at it, and maybe robbing a shortstop or two in the process. ;) Not a bad gig at all.

I think many, many pool players go to the ocassinal tournament to compete, have fun, and collect a few war stories.

Profit and ROI, not so much.

Lou Figueroa

gerryf

Is John Schmidt a full professional pool player, as in, that's what he does for a living?

If his time was spent entering tournaments, and playing side matches, he can still do that, as well as show his run a number of times a week.

I suppose the only way to know how profitable it is, is to see how long it lasts.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Varner or Wilson have made great contributions to the Sport of Pocket Billiards, I guess you were just sharing some news - here about facebook - fair enough - I care nothing about facebook. I truly feel bad that Nick and Mark would go to their theater show but I guess that is what the powers at b need - to make the corny' fake news pop'. I have a question for you justudub, a young aspiring 14.1 player who wants to view this so called 626 at home asks the bca to see the 626 and offers to pay - but they have no unedited video, what do you tell the person who would like to see it at home? Mosconi's run has been surpassed but the 'unedited video' is being kept a secret? Again what do you tell the honest and eager student of the game - who just wants to watch the run at home? If you have a good answer the bca,c.w., and j.s. - should hire you as their lawyer. Also yopu keep downplaying - sayin their is just a few of us that do not believe the claim. However when I look back through this thread I count more than forty different azer's here that are plagued with doubt that there is indeed a problem as to why they would choose to hide the unedited tape from public for purchase. So ya yer 'just a few' is a weak attempt at downplaying the skepticism surrounding their shady 626. Go back and look through the thread yerself - you will see many think their 626 is possibly tainted.

Others have already given you the answer, but I'll reply, since you asked me directly. And reasonably, which is appreciated.

What would I say to an aspiring 14.1 player who wants to view this run? I would say that they should arrange to go to one of the viewings. Because the footage is JS's property. Not the BCA's. No one has a "right" to see it, and he has chosen to monetize it in this manner. Would it be great of more people could see it, easier, sure. Perhaps it will be avaiable in that manner someday. Right now, JS is trying to make money from the video, and this is how he see's it being the best method, for him.

Once it was available to the general public, it would get bootlegged. Major movie studios, with huge resources at their disposal, cannot prevent piracy. How would an individual pool player be able to prevent it? Answer, they wouldn't be able to. At which point, no one would pay for it, because it would be easy to get, if someone wanted it. The potential market for this video is not large to begin with, so after costs of printing and packaging, the profit margin is pretty thin to begin with, let alone cists associated with distributing it, or shipping it to people.
So I understand his hesitancy to getting the video out there, right now. Unless someone offered a sweetheart deal for the distribution rights, which given the niche market this appeals to, isn't likely.

As for your point, claiming there are 40 people in this thread that are skeptical, perhaps that's the number. I am surprised, but I don't have the patience to go and wade through this whole thread to argue a point that isn't terribly important. 40 isn't a big number. 14.1 is a niche market. You and the other 39 are in the minority. That doesn't discount what you believe, it just underscores that many more aren't sharing similar concerns.

The BCA and JS don't want to be hiring me as their lawyer, I'm far from qualified. The good news is they don't need one.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I think many, many pool players go to the ocassinal tournament to compete, have fun, and collect a few war stories.

Profit and ROI, not so much.

Lou Figueroa
Since JS is a professional pool player, I was speaking about professional pool tournaments. Those pros have to pay their own way for a very small prize pool. JS is only cutting his with the house, hopefully ;)

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Others have already given you the answer, but I'll reply, since you asked me directly. And reasonably, which is appreciated.

What would I say to an aspiring 14.1 player who wants to view this run? I would say that they should arrange to go to one of the viewings. Because the footage is JS's property. Not the BCA's. No one has a "right" to see it, and he has chosen to monetize it in this manner. Would it be great of more people could see it, easier, sure. Perhaps it will be avaiable in that manner someday. Right now, JS is trying to make money from the video, and this is how he see's it being the best method, for him.

Once it was available to the general public, it would get bootlegged. Major movie studios, with huge resources at their disposal, cannot prevent piracy. How would an individual pool player be able to prevent it? Answer, they wouldn't be able to. At which point, no one would pay for it, because it would be easy to get, if someone wanted it. The potential market for this video is not large to begin with, so after costs of printing and packaging, the profit margin is pretty thin to begin with, let alone cists associated with distributing it, or shipping it to people.
So I understand his hesitancy to getting the video out there, right now. Unless someone offered a sweetheart deal for the distribution rights, which given the niche market this appeals to, isn't likely.

As for your point, claiming there are 40 people in this thread that are skeptical, perhaps that's the number. I am surprised, but I don't have the patience to go and wade through this whole thread to argue a point that isn't terribly important. 40 isn't a big number. 14.1 is a niche market. You and the other 39 are in the minority. That doesn't discount what you believe, it just underscores that many more aren't sharing similar concerns.

The BCA and JS don't want to be hiring me as their lawyer, I'm far from qualified. The good news is they don't need one.
I disagree on all three points u made, first of all - I noticed u brushed over the 'at home' viewing and did not even address it, kindee' important as many would like to avoid large crowds (change in season) and not burn their eye balls in some weirdo' theater dog and pony show/production. As far as marketing a 'possible' new world record in 14.1, I think yer just again tryin to downplay the amount of discs he could have sold to honest 14.1 students - with a stellar marketing team. Yer not a 14.1 player (yer a talker) so u really have no idea how popular the game is on global scale. There are ways of dealing with theft of intellectual property, j.s. may own rights to his 'easy street shady theater show' but he does not have the right to try and steal Mosconi's record - without providing VERIFIABLE evidence to the public - the theater production - ain't verifiable evidence.

To yer third and final point, Once I take a look at the other 626 threads, I count more than 100 aze'rs who are unsure about the 'claim' as well - I would hardly call that a minority. Not totally sure yer correct about them (j.s.,c.w.,bca predcue) not in need of legal assistance or other, if this theater promo is all they have - they will be laughed out of the auditorium. I have come up with a nick name for ya - justuhdownplayuh. It is a bit lengthy - but it fits u well. Player = Legit. Playuh = not so much Legit.

Last edited:

gerryf

I disagree on all three points u made, first of all - I noticed u brushed over the 'at home' viewing and did not even address it, kindee' important as many would like to avoid large crowds (change in season) and not burn their eye balls in some weirdo' theater dog and pony show/production. As far as marketing a 'possible' new world record in 14.1, I think yer just again tryin to downplay the amount of discs he could have sold to honest 14.1 students - with a stellar marketing team. Yer not a 14.1 player (yer a talker) so u really have no idea how popular the game is on global scale. There are ways of dealing with theft of intellectual property, j.s. may own rights to his 'easy street shady theater show' but he does not have the right to try and steal Mosconi's record - without providing VERIFIABLE evidence to the public - the theater production - ain't verifiable evidence. To yer third and final point, Once I take a look at the other 626 threads, I count more than 100 aze'rs who are unsure about the 'claim' as well - I would hardly call that a minority. Not totally sure yer correct about them not in need of legal assistance or other, but I have come up with a nick name for ya - justuhdownplayer. It is a bit lengthy - but it fits u well.
It is Schmidt's choice to market his run the way he wants. He and his partner have decided this is the best way to market it, and after seeing the reaction in AZB and elsewhere, I agree with him. They've made an evening event that is clearly well-received by the people who have attended it.

Your reaction to the way he's marketing it is clearly tied in within your own personal feelings. But this is a business decision. I doubt that he cares about your feelings on the matter.

You may not agree with the BCA calling it a new record, but I doubt that the BCA cares. If asked, I expect the BCA would give more weight to the opinions of Mark Wilson, Nick Varner, Bob Jewett and others. But the BCA has viewed the video and made the call that this is a BCA record. All the straight pool players i know agree, even though they haven't seen the video themselves. The people who have sat through John's production said it was a clean run.

What Schmidt has done is a great record, and is good for straight pool, and hopefully also good for him. Yes, Mosconi had a great record that lasted for a long time, but John has beaten that now. If straight pool can become more popular other people will try to set the record, so Schmidt's record may not last 70 years like Mosconi's.

Once he no longer can draw a crowd that covers his costs, I would expect he will sell DVD's to earn what he can that way, but it seems to me to be a good move on his part to do these presentations first.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
It is Schmidt's choice to market his run the way he wants. He and his partner have decided this is the best way to market it, and after seeing the reaction in AZB and elsewhere, I agree with him. They've made an evening event that is clearly well-received by the people who have attended it.

Your reaction to the way he's marketing it is clearly tied in within your own personal feelings. But this is a business decision. I doubt that he cares about your feelings on the matter.

You may not agree with the BCA calling it a new record, but I doubt that the BCA cares. If asked, I expect the BCA would give more weight to the opinions of Mark Wilson, Nick Varner, Bob Jewett and others. But the BCA has viewed the video and made the call that this is a BCA record. All the straight pool players i know agree, even though they haven't seen the video themselves. The people who have sat through John's production said it was a clean run.

What Schmidt has done is a great record, and is good for straight pool, and hopefully also good for him. Yes, Mosconi had a great record that lasted for a long time, but John has beaten that now. If straight pool can become more popular other people will try to set the record, so Schmidt's record may not last 70 years like Mosconi's.

Once he no longer can draw a crowd that covers his costs, I would expect he will sell DVD's to earn what he can that way, but it seems to me to be a good move on his part to do these presentations first.

Yes, exactly...but:

Unfortunately, you are wasting keystrokes. He and his 100+ (or 6 or 8 or hundreds of thousands I think he tried to claim once) naysayers are too deep in a cesspool of jealousy, hate and unhappiness to allow anyone their success.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.