offered to adjust and refused

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing one pocket.
Stranger(player B)asks player A to play one pocket.
Player A wins 6 straight for low stakes and it's not even close.
Player A says next time we will adjust.
Player B says no I can only get better playing better players
Player A says even if we adjust you are still playing a better player but have a chance to win.
Player B says no we play even.
I dont get it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing one pocket.
Player A says even if we adjust you are still playing a better player but have a chance to win.
I dont get it.
Gotta love suckers.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I dont get it.
I refuse weight from stronger players. I want to measure myself, and I want the satisfaction of knowing that if they feel the need to adjust to grind mode to win, it's because they're are truly threatened by me and not the weight.

To each their own....

The bet is small so who cares. If the bet was large it would be a different story

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing one pocket.
I dont get it.
For $10-15 I am playing everyone even. It forces me to not shoot dumb shots. However there is nothing wrong with taking a spot for sure.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing one pocket.
I dont get it.
Hammerhead

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No matter what he thinks, he’s not likely to get much better.

Why? Because he doesn’t care about winning. He’s not playing against a better player, he’s simply playing with a better player.

Reactions: bbb

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'

Why? Because he doesn’t care about winning. He’s not playing against a better player, he’s simply playing with a better player.
Are you suggesing he doesn't care about winning because he doesn't want to accept a handicap...?

Some (including myself) play for the pride in winning. I take zero pride in winning with a spot. I also don't see any value in participation ribbons either.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing one pocket.
I dont get it.
I get it.

He wants to push himself, doesnt care if he loses.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If the weaker player is trying to learn the right way to play the game, there is another factor. If the mismatch is large, the better player is likely to take risky shots that he would not play in an even game. If he is thinking he has a long-term "patron", he might not bring out the good stuff, like the bank-ticky and the rolling carom, and the learning will be either wrong or slow.

JC

Coos Cues
Playing one pocket.
I dont get it.
The low stakes take care of it, not that hard to understand. I also don't take spots. If I know I'm dead money I just keep it cheap.

We shot off $300 of ammo yesterday because it was enjoyable. Took about an hour. It's not all about the money involved.

JC

Coos Cues

I don't think you can judge whether he cares about winning or not without being inside his head.

Ever have someone you used to dominate come back around and surprise you? They improved somewhere, somehow.

A person can lose a lot and still care about it.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you suggesing he doesn't care about winning because he doesn't want to accept a handicap...?

Some (including myself) play for the pride in winning. I take zero pride in winning with a spot. I also don't see any value in participation ribbons either.
Yep. At least in this case, where he’s getting murdered by a much better player.

I’ll play a round of golf with a tour pro and enjoy myself, but it’s not going to make me try harder. I may try harder, and so will he if there’s enough of a spot to make it a challenge for both of us.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing one pocket.
I dont get it.

Well could be
(a) pride. He feels better if he lose even than lose with handicap
(b) its peanuts money he can afford it
(c) he is not gambler, doesn't care about winning
(d) he wants to learn from better player and the money he pays is the tuition fee :D

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weaker players who refuse weight had better be well healed, as (in my experience) stronger players realize they need a challenge to stay sharp, and will usually force the stakes up to a breaking point.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I refuse weight from stronger players. I want to measure myself, and I want the satisfaction of knowing that if they feel the need to adjust to grind mode to win, it's because they're are truly threatened by me and not the weight.

To each their own....

The bet is small so who cares. If the bet was large it would be a different story
Money's, money.