Is Dennis Orcollo "King of Money Matches" ?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Azb article dub Dennis Orcollo “King of Money Matches”

I would say at least 3 (Shane, Chang, Filler) are favorites over Dennis in 9/10 ball in money matches/money games.
:LOL:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is always in action, definitely the action player of recent memory. Plus nobody has his heart or balls - he will take on others at their strongest games. In fact, I would like to see Woodward give Dennis another shot but on a 9' table.
I would like to see it on the bar table again. Dennis only lost by 5 and I believe his break will be better the next go round. He's probably working on it as we speak.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Azb article dub Dennis Orcollo “King of Money Matches”

I would say at least 3 (Shane, Chang, Filler) are favorites over Dennis in 9/10 ball in money matches/money games.
:LOL:
Take a look at Alex’s interview on YouTube (Pool player podcast) about who he considers the best money players. He was actually sort of critical about svb only gambling at his type of game. He said Dennis would literally take on anyone in anything. If Dennis is the underdog, it won’t be by much.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Name another player who gets more action than Dennis .

myea but it's presumably easier for him to get a game than for chang or filler.

you know taiwan is one of the closest neighbors to PI yet you hear very little about pinoy players going north..

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

you know taiwan is one of the closest neighbors to PI yet you hear very little about pinoy players going north..
They don’t need to, as they can pretty much get all the action they want at home.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They don’t need to, as they can pretty much get all the action they want at home.

i watch a lot of them, big money for them maybe, but not big money matches in an american sense. if they believed they would win i'm certain they could get bigger matches set up in that neighboring country that has like 10x GNP/capita

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Name another player who gets more action than Dennis .
It's possible the answer is Filler. In 2019, Josh gambled at banks with Evan Lunda and Shannon Murphy, gambled at 10-ball with JL Chang, and gambled at bar table 8-ball with Corey Deuel. Even in the pandemic year, he gambled with James Aranas at 10-ball and with Tony Chohan at one pocket. I don't see Orcullo chasing down the giants of every discipline the way Filler does.

That said, I think Dennis is in action more often than Josh. I also think that Filler is following the Filippino blueprint for building one's pedigree as a player.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's possible the answer is Filler. In 2019, Josh gambled at banks with Evan Lunda and Shannon Murphy, gambled at 10-ball with JL Chang, and gambled at bar table 8-ball with Corey Deuel. Even in the pandemic year, he gambled with James Aranas at 10-ball and with Tony Chohan at one pocket. I don't see Orcullo chasing down the giants of every discipline the way Filler does.

That said, I think Dennis is in action more often than Josh. I also think that Filler is following the Filippino blueprint for building one's pedigree as a player.
How did Filler's match go with Corey Deuel?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

i watch a lot of them, big money for them maybe, but not big money matches in an american sense. if they believed they would win i'm certain they could get bigger matches set up in that neighboring country that has like 10x GNP/capita
They would be underdogs in Taiwan playing those greats in their elements .
No backer is going to put up huge money to play in Taiwan . Poker players get more backers .

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey won that one, which was a race to 30, although I don't know the score. Seem to recall that Corey hit him with a 10-pack.
Corey is definitely one of the best bar table 8 ball players in the world- especially when he gets that 2nd ball break working

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not trying to knock anybody but on the world stage bar-box pool doesn't mean shit. Its THE biggest reason there is such a small number of U.S. players that can play world-class pool on a big box. WAY too much little table pool here.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Not trying to knock anybody but on the world stage bar-box pool doesn't mean shit. Its THE biggest reason there is such a small number of U.S. players that can play world-class pool on a big box. WAY too much little table pool here.
Happen to agree here that it has held the US back, but have you ever seen an English barbox? Yes, the pockets are tighter, but the tables can be as small as 3' x 6'. Each of Appleton, Selby, Shaw, and Melling trace some of their roots to English 8-ball on the barboxes.

I mentioned barbox 8-ball solely as an example of how Filler will, seemingly, play almost anyone at the game of their choice. One day, he may even do the same with one pocket, although right now I sense he'd need a spot from both Alex and Dennis.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happen to agree here that it has held the US back, but have you ever seen an English barbox? Yes, the pockets are tighter, but the tables can be as small as 3' x 6'. Each of Appleton, Selby, Shaw, and Melling trace some of their roots to English 8-ball on the barboxes.

I mentioned barbox 8-ball solely as an example of how Filler will, seemingly, play almost anyone at the game of their choice. One day, he may even do the same with one pocket, although right now I sense he'd need a spot from both Alex and Dennis.
English 8-ball is waaaay harder than our bar-box pool. Basically a mini snooker game. Those guys can play. A lot of them play snooker as well.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Filler already plays 1p pretty sporty. Didn't he beat Chohan pretty soundly? He'll be a monster at it pretty soon.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Filler already plays 1p pretty sporty. Didn't he beat Chohan pretty soundly? He'll be a monster at it pretty soon.
Yes, he took down Chohan last May. I'd like to see Josh take on Scott Frost, Danny Smith, Chip Compton, Roberto Gomez, Corey Deuel, Billy Thorpe or Francisco Bustamante before he moves on to Orcullo and Pagulayan. Every one of those guys will test him.