Is the National Billiards League legit, or a scam?

Cuedup

Agreed. The production must introduce drama and human interest to grab the attention of the casual fan and get them interested in more than just the balls rolling on a table.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't matter the country. Pool is boring to watch whether its a Taiwan viewer, American viewer, Canadian viewer, etc. Thats the crux of the problem. If pool were exciting to watch, then people (from any country) would watch it, and then sponsors would add money so those watching it may eventually become a customer of the sponsor. That would have a snowball effect, as the sponsor money would lead to better production values and more advertising, which would in turn lead to more viewers, and more payouts for "real" professional players.

The root problem though is its boring to watch.

Sorry Glen, but your idea of a special rack, a "ghost" rating to only ensure the elite play, standardized Diamond tables, a big venue in the middle of the county, etc, etc, don't change the fact that the game is boring to watch.

Having it live streamed FOR FREE on Netflix, 24/7, and Dominos throwing 20 million dollars at it still doesn't change the fact that its boring to watch.

You could have all your wishes come true, Dominos plus Netflix plus your game rules idea, and after one year, they would both pull out, because the game is boring and no one would watch.
Poker seems even more boring to me... I really don't se why people watch that.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't 100% sure about their ages, but I knew I was close. My point was, where's the American players at? The American players do not support each other, they for the most part want to do nothing more than gamble with whom ever they can get to a table. Players from other countries support and push each other to do better all the time. The major differences is in America its a "ME" attitude, whereas the rest of the world its more of a "WE" attitude.
Those dam Commie's
LOL

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Poker seems even more boring to me... I really don't se why people watch that.
The characters and banter make we watch. Tony G is hilarious to watch whether he's winning or losing. You love-hate to see him win, and hate-love to see him lose. The live odds, the way the top players play the hands, etc. It can be entertaining (if you play poker, I suppose).

But it's entertaining in a way that watching Earl have an absolute meltdown, for example, is not. Watching a bad beat or good hand losing to someone who had the nuts are things you can empathize with. Watching someone go ape on a pool table is kinda sad, IMO.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The characters and banter make we watch. Tony G is hilarious to watch whether he's winning or losing. You love-hate to see him win, and hate-love to see him lose. The live odds, the way the top players play the hands, etc. It can be entertaining (if you play poker, I suppose).

But it's entertaining in a way that watching Earl have an absolute meltdown, for example, is not. Watching a bad beat or good hand losing to someone who had the nuts are things you can empathize with. Watching someone go ape on a pool table is kinda sad, IMO.
Totally agree on most points. I ALWAYS root for Tony G to lose the pot, unless it's against Phil:D

realkingcobra

Silver Member
This was done on one of the WPA World pool championships within the past 5 years. A camera going over each table, and the webpage allowing the viewer to choose which match they wanted to watch.

It was horrible. No commentary. Fixed camera. No crowds roaring. Boring as anything.

The answer is not more of the same content.

For pool to have a chance to not be boring to watch as a fan, the production has to change completely. The only company doing anything close to that today is Mathroom.

Even Accustats doesn’t do it. They have the same old same old. No history of the players. No struggles the players went through. No flashbacks to prior situations the player at the table faced years ago. No head to head lifetime stats of the players at the table. No stories that the player at the table spent his last 500 to his name to enter this event. Nothing of the human interest element that makes a viewer bond with a player. Mathroom is the only entity doing anything remotely like that.
Not to mention, can't earn enough money to make a living, yet Matchroom sells the content to 14 other streaming platforms around the world for millions as content....ALL 114 HOURS OF LIVE CONTENT IN 2020!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
This was done on one of the WPA World pool championships within the past 5 years. A camera going over each table, and the webpage allowing the viewer to choose which match they wanted to watch.

It was horrible. No commentary. Fixed camera. No crowds roaring. Boring as anything.

The answer is not more of the same content.

For pool to have a chance to not be boring to watch as a fan, the production has to change completely. The only company doing anything close to that today is Mathroom.

Even Accustats doesn’t do it. They have the same old same old. No history of the players. No struggles the players went through. No flashbacks to prior situations the player at the table faced years ago. No head to head lifetime stats of the players at the table. No stories that the player at the table spent his last 500 to his name to enter this event. Nothing of the human interest element that makes a viewer bond with a player. Mathroom is the only entity doing anything remotely like that.
Ok, since you're so smart, or think you are, as you're always chipping in your NEGATIVE comments, tell me how you would solve this problem!!!!

8 9ft Diamonds, each live streamed at the exact same time, with the live steam going out to the world, ESPECIALLY to the countries the players represent.

Table 1, you have a German and Chinese player playing.

Table 2, you have an American and Russian player playing.

Table 3, you have an Albanian player and Philipino player playing.

Table 4, you have a Taipei player and a Canadian player.

Table 5, a Scottish player and Taipei player.

Table 6, a Chinese player and a Philipino.

Table 7, a Chinese player and a Philipino player.

Table 8, 2 Chinese players.

Now, tell me again, exactly HOW are you offering commentary on each match, so that the viewers in each country they represent can follow along????

And then, after that round of play has finished up, the players are all rotated again and match up to play the next round!

Which table is going to be the TV table???????

Come on, tell me how to handle THAT problem....OH SMART ONE!!!!!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Ok, since you're so smart, or think you are, as you're always chipping in your NEGATIVE comments, tell me how you would solve this problem!!!!

8 9ft Diamonds, each live streamed at the exact same time, with the live steam going out to the world, ESPECIALLY to the countries the players represent.

Table 1, you have a German and Chinese player playing.

Table 2, you have an American and Russian player playing.

Table 3, you have an Albanian player and Philipino player playing.

Table 4, you have a Taipei player and a Canadian player.

Table 5, a Scottish player and Taipei player.

Table 6, a Chinese player and a Philipino.

Table 7, a Chinese player and a Philipino player.

Table 8, 2 Chinese players.

Now, tell me again, exactly HOW are you offering commentary on each match, so that the viewers in each country they represent can follow along????

And then, after that round of play has finished up, the players are all rotated again and match up to play the next round!

Which table is going to be the TV table???????

Come on, tell me how to handle THAT problem....OH SMART ONE!!!!!!!
By the way, American viewership sucks in case you haven't figured it out yet!!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I invite every SMART person on AZB to solve this live streaming problem with multiple tables and multiple languages!!! You're all so good at telling ME what I should or shouldn't be doing, what I can and CAN'T do, so show ME how smart YOU are.....solve the live streaming problem!!!! This should be fun because I'm willing to bet all I hear is crickets!!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I invite every SMART person on AZB to solve this live streaming problem with multiple tables and multiple languages!!! You're all so good at telling ME what I should or shouldn't be doing, what I can and CAN'T do, so show ME how smart YOU are.....solve the live streaming problem!!!! This should be fun because I'm willing to bet all I hear is crickets!!!!
By the way, I have it solved already, WITHOUT the help of you AXB geniuses!!!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way, I have it solved already, WITHOUT the help of you AXB geniuses!!!
The olympics and other major sporting events each send their localized commentator crews. They all have the same video feed, but their own sound setup and mics. Sometimes you can even hear another language commentary in the background. With internet technology you wouldn’t even need to have the commentators there in person, I suppose.

Yes I am being pessimistic. But your ideas would take tens or even 100 millions dollars. And at the end of it, I still don’t think the general public would watch the balls go into the holes.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The olympics and other major sporting events each send their localized commentator crews. They all have the same video feed, but their own sound setup and mics. Sometimes you can even hear another language commentary in the background. With internet technology you wouldn’t even need to have the commentators there in person, I suppose.

Yes I am being pessimistic. But your ideas would take tens or even 100 millions dollars. And at the end of it, I still don’t think the general public would watch the balls go into the holes.
Think it would cost that much do you, hmmmm...well, what if Verizon Cellular wanted to get on board as the streaming platform, still think it would cost that much😉

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Wait, was my answer of the language issue correct? If so, does that make me a genius? :D:D:D:D:D:D
Nope, I also asked which of the 8 tables is the TV commentary table for American viewers? And do they get commentary for the other 7 as well? Does Russia get commentary? How about China?

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Kentucky Derby runs, races this Saturday with an anticipated 45,000 to attend,
why the attraction?

Possible answers;
language commentators?
the disciplines' of trot, gallop and jumps?
speculated wagering?
history and their vetted adversaries (owners) staked?
fashion and hats?
tulips and roses?
a staged 2 minute outcome?

...a billiard equivalent in the future, its possible.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The Kentucky Derby runs, races this Saturday with an anticipated 45,000 to attend,
why the attraction?

Possible answers;
language commentators?
the disciplines' of trot, gallop and jumps?
speculated wagering?
history and their vetted adversaries (owners) staked?
fashion and hats?
tulips and roses?
a staged 2 minute outcome?

...a billiard equivalent in the future, its possible.
The sole purpose of horse racing is wagering bets, anything else is just icing on the cake.