What was the first time you realized you’re a strong player?

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
In my teens I thought I was a strong player when I started beating all my friends and relatives. Then in my 20s I entered some small tournaments and found out I was only average in those circles. So I kept playing until I started winning a lot of them. Then I thought I was a strong player. So I entered a qualifier for a pro event and had to play the tournament director first round. He was pushing 70 years old and was a former pro. He moved the cue ball so smooth that I was mesmerized. And he was an over the hill pro. I found out I was no where near a pro. So I kept playing and donated in several pro tournaments and beat a couple of pros a match and only got in the lower money a time or two. So in the small pool rooms I was considered a strong player, in the big rooms above average and in the pro circles a really weak player. I am almost 60 now and even though my game is not what it used to be the above senerios would still pretty much be true.
Yeah, that was my feeling about describing the time when "I" thought that I became a strong player. It's all relative. That's why my goal now is to eventually reach a 700 Fargo Rating. If I can do that, then I could objectively say that I have reached the skill level of the lowest level pro player. But age seems to be a big factor. I think that after the age of 50 it becomes harder and harder to dramatically improve one's game.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
A friend once told me what a local hustler said of me:

"He's a lousy pool player. Problem is, he knows it. So, I can't hustle him."

I took that as a compliment. :)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well the only time I thought I was strong was a hot night in Valley of Sun. Deordant failed, and I stunk very strong, like a wet skunk.

If you think strong, or great, remember someone is always better. It just how life goes, if your number 1 in the world at some game. It's only temporary.

Babe Ruth hit lots of Home Runs, Baseball groouie can say how many. He also struck out a lot.

Remember when Tiger Woods was pretty hot, he is not any longer. But I do not think he will be applying soon at Wal-Mart to work there.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The day I knew I was a "strong player"....

Started when I was the only amatuer wearing a shirt and tie on the Sunday of an open tournament. ...and reinforced sometime later when after reaching the final of a 8 ball tournament the well known and reaaal strong players on the rail were asking me my name and where I played out of. Had just enough booze in me to keep the nerves back on that day...lol

Truth be told, I just used to have brief flashes of brilliance. More often than not I'm just strong enough to keep the top shots honest.

Reminds me of what I used to jaw at guys talking big and trying to pretend they could 'play' pool. It went something like, "If you were good enough to beat me. I'd already know you are"....lol.

You don't need to realize it, but you're strong when the already strong players take notice.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, that was my feeling about describing the time when "I" thought that I became a strong player. It's all relative. That's why my goal now is to eventually reach a 700 Fargo Rating. If I can do that, then I could objectively say that I have reached the skill level of the lowest level pro player. But age seems to be a big factor. I think that after the age of 50 it becomes harder and harder to dramatically improve one's game.
I'm 74 and dont play as good as I once did.
But I try to make up for that by playing smarter.

71dewajack

It was a cold and stormy night when HE walked in with that fancy leather case. He said to the man at the counter, point me to the best player in this place. I felt my throat swell up as I saw him walk toward me. There he was in living color, Johnny Archer! It was at that moment the dream ended and I woke up:)

JC

Coos Cues
I am extremely tough action.

Until I leave Coos Bay, Oregon then it gets shaky.

Was gambling with a nit one time at the Western BCA tournament in the back room at about 2am. He was stuck for 3 sets and wasn't going to beat me. I was getting bored and told him this was it I was done. He threw a fit and said I was never getting action around there again. He knew everyone and I was shut out forever more.

So I raised my cue and shouted "100 Dollar nine ball here, who want some action"

I almost got stampeded. And yes they knew exactly who I was.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps a better title for this thread would be - What was the first time you realized you were NOT a strong pool player?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The day I knew I was a "strong player"....

Started when I was the only amatuer wearing a shirt and tie on the Sunday of an open tournament. ...and reinforced sometime later when after reaching the final of a 8 ball tournament the well known and reaaal strong players on the rail were asking me my name and where I played out of. Had just enough booze in me to keep the nerves back on that day...lol

Truth be told, I just used to have brief flashes of brilliance. More often than not I'm just strong enough to keep the top shots honest.

Reminds me of what I used to jaw at guys talking big and trying to pretend they could 'play' pool. It went something like, "If you were good enough to beat me. I'd already know you are"....lol.

You don't need to realize it, but you're strong when the already strong players take notice.

Yep, you aren't really the one that makes most of the decisions about your status. The people you are playing have more to say about it!

Was gambling with a nit one time at the Western BCA tournament in the back room at about 2am. He was stuck for 3 sets and wasn't going to beat me. I was getting bored and told him this was it I was done. He threw a fit and said I was never getting action around there again. He knew everyone and I was shut out forever more.

So I raised my cue and shouted "100 Dollar nine ball here, who want some action"

I used to buy something, usually a beer, when I walked in the door of a place. I would stick the change from a hundred dollar bill in my shirt pocket. I was very very popular!

Hu

Reactions: JC

Cuedup

Strong is a relative term.

When I started as a 4, the handful of 7's in the room stood out. A couple of years later and I'm one of those 7's and still improving.

OneHandedBreak

No handed breaks too
I was leaning against the wall in The Alibi one night over by table 2 when someone broke on table 1 and sent the cue ball flying right at me. I stuck my foot out and caught the ball in mid air on top of my shoe, and in one continuous motion flicked it back across the room onto table 1 without disturbing any balls. That's when I knew.

eg9327

I've never been a strong player and never considered myself as such. I think it leads to complacency. Even so, among the local bar tournaments I don't do bad. I've got a good chance to get in the money and occassionally can win. I could never travel, so I'll have to be satisfied winning over guys with a limp and four good teeth.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Perhaps a better title for this thread would be - What was the first time you realized you were NOT a strong pool player?
Haha. I guess that I can say that out in my rural area there are quite a few players that view me as a strong player. Realistically I'm probably the second or third best in our leagues. But I'm smart enough to realize that if I just venture into the closest fairly big city, I now drop down to probably the 15th or 20th best player. Is that "strong"? Not as strong as I would like and nowhere near "pro" level.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all relative. I was playing in a rec center once and the kids asked me if I was a pro. I like what I saw someone post here.

The bangers think I'm a pro. The pros think I'm a banger.

Geosnookery

Depends if I was fighting Barney Fife or Mike Tyson.

I once figured out I was about the 300th or so best Snooker player in the world. That was about age 26 or so. With 6 hours a day dedication I might have chopped that in half...’might’. An outside chance of making it and floundering in the lower ranking of the 128 pro players for a year or two. Today? Perhaps about 450th because of the dedicated Chinese Snooker school.

Anyways ‘strong ‘ is subjective concept. Hold my own in anything local but be destroyed by a mid ranked pro. American Pool a bit different. A top pro would win over a stretch but more chance of me putting together a couple of games. I’d likely lose 11 to 3 against Efren Reyes in 8 ball but 11 to 0 to Mark Selby in Snooker. One of the positives of American Pool is there is always that possibility of the balls rolling the right way to beat the best player in the world....not likely but at least a glimmer.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends if I was fighting Barney Fife or Mike Tyson.

I once figured out I was about the 300th or so best Snooker player in the world. That was about age 26 or so. With 6 hours a day dedication I might have chopped that in half...’might’. An outside chance of making it and floundering in the lower ranking of the 128 pro players for a year or two. Today? Perhaps about 450th because of the dedicated Chinese Snooker school.

Anyways ‘strong ‘ is subjective concept. Hold my own in anything local but be destroyed by a mid ranked pro. American Pool a bit different. A top pro would win over a stretch but more chance of me putting together a couple of games. I’d likely lose 11 to 3 against Efren Reyes in 8 ball but 11 to 0 to Mark Selby in Snooker. One of the positives of American Pool is there is always that possibility of the balls rolling the right way to beat the best player in the world....not likely but at least a glimmer.
I was watching a Chris Melling match and they said he was 75th on the snooker tour at one time. Tough league to break into.