World Cup Of Pool (9-14 May2021) $250K Prizemoney

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing performance. Whitewash 9-0 Appleton/Boyes over Slovakia and they are through to final
They are hands down the favorite to win the title now. ;)
I think in the final they will be 100% out of freerolling mode and therefore more nervous than they have been so far. I make them the favourites but they will have tough opponents and won't be guaranteed to get wet break after wet break again.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
As I watch Boyes and Appleton going up 7:0 in their semis, it comes to my mind, that for a long time I have not seen someone playing such calm and simple pool as these UK oldies.
All the jumpers, 5 rail kickers and high speed draw shooters are out, the Albins the Gorsts, the Shaws are long gone.
No pineapplepen interviews anymore, no phillipine "yes baby" high jumpers, no strange haired US boys.

Seven players in the semis, who just try to play pool and keep their nerves together...and Filler...but exceptions prove the rule...or so...
Appletons background in blackball serves him well. It's a no-nonsense game for no-nonsense players. It teaches shot selection, discipline and keeping things simple. Darrens patterns in all games are exemplary. Boyes is, and IMO always has been underrated, especially on Azb, but even I am surprised by his rock solid performance after such a long time off.
I think in the final they will be 100% out of freerolling mode and therefore more nervous than they have been so far. I make them the favourites but they will have tough opponents and won't be guaranteed to get wet break after wet break again.
I think whomever gets to face Appleton/Boyes will need both consistency and firepower to win. They've got so much experience and they're performing extremely well, right now. I'd be really surprised if they broke down in the final. I consider them heavy favourites against the remaining teams, but of course nothing is certain.

Last edited:

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
342020BC-3269-4CEE-A2B2-0A33EA96324E.jpeg

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Appletons background in blackball serves him well. It's a no-nonsense game for no-nonsense players. It teaches shot selection, discipline and keeping things simple. Darrens patterns in all games are exemplary.
Darren has recently been playing English pool and not been playing great by any stretch of the imagination. He was well ropey in the last tournament he played in and withdrew from the next one. I think he and Karl have just geĺled and played well and rode that funny old thing called luck. And played really well......

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Darren has recently been playing English pool and not been playing great by any stretch of the imagination. He was well ropey in the last tournament he played in and withdrew from the next one. I think he and Karl have just geĺled and played well and rode that funny old thing called luck. And played really well......
What I mean was that the way he plays US pool is clearly influenced by how UK pool is played, as far as patterns etc. It takes time to transition between the two styles of game, the equipment is so different. But Darren has been a top player in both and he could be again if he put the time in. It's just hard to do both at the same time.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
lol his partner didn't seem to jump around as much.

just waiting to see the price on germany
Boyes/Appleton will likely be overpriced/valued on English betting sites, so Germany may be a decent value as a bet. I sometimes will make bets, even against my own beliefs, if I think it's good value.

Edit: Checked out one site and their nearly even money with the English team marginally favoured. 1.8 vs 1.9. Nah, I may put down some small change on England after all.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
So considering Britain 'C' filled the Canada spot, I'm going to assume our boys would have reached the final as well. :)

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crazy they are still having shot clock issues. Filler might have fired Daz up now

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk