2021 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

Will Maynard

Registered
I recommend nothing....lol. I wanted something that I could use to overlay multiple predefined sources, and OBS seemed to have a decent following.

I have zero proficiency in anything audio/visual. Just enough to get by. I wouldn't mind sorting out how to do that CB striking point overlay you used as well.
I used Adobe Illustrator to create PNG files of different CB strike points then shrunk to proper size within Resolve and moved to desired location. I can send you these PNGs if you want. I think my better approach would have been to create just the CB and cuetip dot as 2 files and place them depending them as desired.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
84 (video not worth uploading)

in just under 31mins... 😳 Big difference from my 90min 117...lol

Been trying the last few days to play much faster. What patterns I did have are mostly out the window, and I'm relying on more shot making, but it's nice not to grind quite as much.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
84 (video not worth uploading)

in just under 31mins... 😳 Big difference from my 90min 117...lol

Been trying the last few days to play much faster. What patterns I did have are mostly out the window, and I'm relying on more shot making, but it's nice not to grind quite as much.

One time about 20 years ago I was practicing on the front table at the local room, and I was shooting a million miles per hour. Normally I'm pretty slow. I was barely even waiting for the balls to stop. Just bam bam bam, did not matter if they went in or not, not even one stroking it, no stroking it. I think I was trying to practice playing on instinct, I forget the reason now to be honest. Anyway, there was a railbird watching me. He stops me and asks "are you on drugs"? I had a laugh. (no, I was not).

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Realized this morning that I hadn't put a number up for 2021 yet, so had my game face on when my buddy showed up for our match.
Second game in I ran a 55, then ran a 51 in the next game. Both runs ended on very makable shots, so kind of disappointed, but happy to finally put something up. Will post video once I get them processed.

Last edited:

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
After our first-born in 2019 had very few chances to play. Picked up a cue last Wed 7th April and after some warmup went for my usual 10 inning 14.1. session which each inning starting from the classic side of the rack break shot. In 10 innings I ran a total of 221 balls (my PB) and on the very last inning I ran 81. So 81 for me.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
28 + 8 = 36 for me in March on a loose 8-footer. I need to play more 14.1.

I've been practicing on a 9' Pro Cut Diamond with worn cloth and it's tougher than one with new cloth for sure, but it's definitely improving my accuracy. Just need to work a ton on positions and patterns.

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been over a year since I've played 14.1 so I've been playing it as a warmup for the past couple of weeks and have been recording it just in case I get a high run. I know it's nothing but just wanted to share my 65 ball run.

I forgot how much I enjoyed playing 14.1 until tonight. My high run was on my Brunswick 10 footer, 108 ball run. I will be playing more 14.1, not only because I enjoy it but it helps my 8-Ball game immensely.

Here is my 65 on a Diamond 9 foot table.

14.1 Straight Pool 65 Ball Run 9 Foot Diamond

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Ran 112 about twenty minutes ago in an attempt to run 200+, missed a very makable, dare say easy break shot. It's past midnight here, I'm feeling tired, old, back pain is bothering me, and feeling sad as it's now a certainty that I'll have to disassemble and give away my Brunswick and call it a wrap. Our dear friend of the family and neighbor Mathias, the owner of the house and "my" practice room, died and all through these rough and weird times we were hoping to find a place to set the table up, but these are the last few weeks before the building is getting renovated and the new owners are going to move in. This is the third day now that I started practicing again, a swan song of sorts, my other runs tonight including anything from a 44 to several attempts where I didn't even get into a second rack, playing for less than a couple hours total. There aren't any pool halls anymore, no one to practice with, not to mention the pandemic. Oh well… Having said that, it's hard to complain at the age of over fifty, not having practiced or played more than a couple times this year, nor more than half a dozen times in a year or two. Simply don't have the time, nor the health, to practice when there are no tournaments, all my former students moved elsewhere and/or appear to have given up playing, not that anyone plays Straight Pool in this country to begin with outside of National Championships and qualifiers to get into those. Please excuse the rant, but it feels as though I might as well live in the woods somewhere. Good night everyone and sweet dreams!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Ran 112 about twenty minutes ago in an attempt to run 200+, missed a very makable, dare say easy break shot. It's past midnight here, I'm feeling tired, old, back pain is bothering me, and feeling sad as it's now a certainty that I'll have to disassemble and give away my Brunswick and call it a wrap. Our dear friend of the family and neighbor Mathias, the owner of the house and "my" practice room, died and all through these rough and weird times we were hoping to find a place to set the table up, but these are the last few weeks before the building is getting renovated and the new owners are going to move in. This is the third day now that I started practicing again, a swan song of sorts, my other runs tonight including anything from a 44 to several attempts where I didn't even get into a second rack, playing for less than a couple hours total. There aren't any pool halls anymore, no one to practice with, not to mention the pandemic. Oh well… Having said that, it's hard to complain at the age of over fifty, not having practiced or played more than a couple times this year, nor more than half a dozen times in a year or two. Simply don't have the time, nor the health, to practice when there are no tournaments, all my former students moved elsewhere and/or appear to have given up playing, not that anyone plays Straight Pool in this country to begin with outside of National Championships and qualifiers to get into those. Please excuse the rant, but it feels as though I might as well live in the woods somewhere. Good night everyone and sweet dreams!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti
Well done! Lots of centuries this year.

forabeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been over a year since I've played 14.1 so I've been playing it as a warmup for the past couple of weeks and have been recording it just in case I get a high run. I know it's nothing but just wanted to share my 65 ball run.

I forgot how much I enjoyed playing 14.1 until tonight. My high run was on my Brunswick 10 footer, 108 ball run. I will be playing more 14.1, not only because I enjoy it but it helps my 8-Ball game immensely.

Here is my 65 on a Diamond 9 foot table.

14.1 Straight Pool 65 Ball Run 9 Foot Diamond
Shot @ 9:25 . . . . Beauty!

Will Maynard

Registered
Hi 14-1 players:) Post your 2021 runs in this thread and I'll keep this first post up to date with everyone's high run. This list is for regular posters here on AZ Billiards. Videos are always in demand and generate good discussion and I'll post links if you upload them. Rules are cue ball fouls only, call pocket, any rack method allowed, any cleaning methodology allowed, run does not have to start from break shot, run can be practice or in an actual game. *Feel free to make the rules more strict if you prefer for yourself. Good luck all!

Prior Year Threads:
2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006

2021 Results:
267 - wrldpro - Mar 4 - Also 210
127 - The_JV - Feb 7 - Also Video 117, 85, 84, Video 82, 74, Video 66, Video 59, 58
111 - jacob - Mar 3 - Also 98, 85, 71, 57, 56, 55, 52, 51, 51
106 - gerard soriano - Jan 13
101 - JusticeNJ - Feb 20 - Video 101, Also 84, 71, 53, 51, 43
81 - mjantii - Apr 10
64 - Kentucky Rack Man - Mar 9
59 - stevekur1 - Jan 24
58 - Will Maynard - Jan 28 - Video 58 w/commentary
57 - ChrisinNC - Feb 4 - Also 57, 57, 56, 44, 43
57 - forabeer - Mar 9
55 - Mick - Apr 9 - Video 55, Also Video 51
54 - Poolmanis - Mar 4 - Video 54 w/commentary
42 - DJKeys - Jan 2
42 - djoverboard - Jan 21
36 - Samiel - Apr 12
30 - BayGene - Feb 11 - Also 20
18 - krupa - Jan 24
15 - iusedtoberich - Jan 22 - Video 15
Thanks for this post through the years. It's very interesting. Here's another entry for 2021.
70 ball run with commentary

Last edited:

Will Maynard

Registered
Will, your runs with commentary are excellent. Thank you for taking the time to prepare these videos.
I'm glad you enjoy them. It takes a lot of time and effort to edit them, but it forces me to critique my runs and hopefully learn from my mistakes. Thanks for your feedback.

Will Maynard

Registered
Just watched the whole run... Some great shot making to keep that one going Will.

I'm by no means a proficient 14.1'er but we sure do approach patterns differently. Probably why I'm not very proficient...lol
I did get out of line plenty and I'm not that great a shot-maker so I did well to keep it going. The odds catch up with you though.

I've been accused of having bad patterns before so maybe I should see how you play them.