WORLD POOL CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 June2021) Champion $50K

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
While I don't oppose the idea of women playing alongside men, I don't buy that female athletes are invited here at the 9-ball Worlds. The simple reason being there is a 9-ball world championship for women.
Imagine a female wins the event which is now marketed as World Pool Championship. Does it make sense to run womens 9-ball world championship this year then? We've got the best woman in 9-ball already.
And in case one says this scenario is impossible - then why the invites at all?

Like I said, I embrace the idea of watching top females compete against men, but not in this case. I get what Matchroom is driving to, and their incentive got strong support recently by Fallon Sharrock performance at PDC World Champs (drama, viewership interest, all that stuff). But I believe that official sports competitions are bound to follow certain regulations and format, and there is no ground to omit them for the sake of those.

Reactions: sjm

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Brave post....

It is an interesting point, and highlights the double standards we enjoy in life and not just in the pool world.

I have an opinion, that isn't even remotely negative toward the ladies. However I've been on this planet long enough to know not to bother...lol

Matt_H

I would much rather see a female player secure enough sponsorship, off the back of a shock victory over a male on pool's biggest stage, to enable her to a comfortable few years of touring than see some some talentless trout-pout raking it in because taking selfies of themselves drinking cocktails in the Dominican Republic is classed as work, and acceptable reason to travel abroad, in these unprecedented times.

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
While I don't oppose the idea of women playing alongside men, I don't buy that female athletes are invited here at the 9-ball Worlds. The simple reason being there is a 9-ball world championship for women.
Imagine a female wins the event which is now marketed as World Pool Championship. Does it make sense to run womens 9-ball world championship this year then? We've got the best woman in 9-ball already.
And in case one says this scenario is impossible - then why the invites at all?

Like I said, I embrace the idea of watching top females compete against men, but not in this case. I get what Matchroom is driving to, and their incentive got strong support recently by Fallon Sharrock performance at PDC World Champs (drama, viewership interest, all that stuff). But I believe that official sports competitions are bound to follow certain regulations and format, and there is no ground to omit them for the sake of those.
Certainly a reasonable post, well-grounded in logic.

I think it comes down to what the fans want to see. Measuring the top women against the professional men is a matter of intrigue for many of us, myself included. Of course, Han Yu and Siming Chen, the top two women in the world, won't be there because of the pandemic but that's our bad luck.

I think the emergence of the Fargo rating system figures in this, too. I believe that Fargo, which rates men and women in the same pool, has increased the interest in comparison. Count me among the curious. I'm on record as saying that I don't think Siming Chen plays 796 speed, which is higher than both David Alcaide and Justin Bergman, but I love the fact that she'll one day have the opportunity to prove me wrong.

In the end, Matchroom is giving its fans what they believe they want, and in my case they have accurately gauged my preferences. I think it's also likely that inclusion of top women could possibly bring some women into the sport, which would help pool on many levels.

Last edited:

Vahmurka

Silver Member
I read that Kaci is out as Albania botched his visa paperwork.
Yep... Already replaced with Karl Boyes in the brackets. That's a bummer.

Btw there's some mess in the brackets in regard with the players from UK. Some represent England, Scotland and Wales, the way it used to be at the Worlds, while some other represent United Kingdom. Pretty weird.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The simple reason being there is a 9-ball world championship for women. ...
I haven't been paying attention. I had to go look it up. It has been held in China (or Taiwan/Chinese Taipei) for the last 19 years (16 events). Kelly Fisher is the only non-Chinese woman to have won it during that time (twice).

The Men's Championship had a 10-year run in Doha before the move this year to the UK. (No 2020 event.)

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
195518762_1447714772250251_8688069391467441770_n.jpg

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is at least the second time he has had trouble getting out of Albania.
I read that since Albania is not a part of the EU that this may have been a factor, but Kaci paid $1,384 to have his visa expedited on May 14th. He was told yesterday that it would not arrive until Monday or Tuesday. That's expedited delivery? As we all know, though, everything in government action around the world is slower than usual due to the pandemic. I had to make an appointment and endured a 6-month wait to renew my driver's license from last year because the government offices were closed.

The American he is playing will face Karl Boyes who replaced Kaci. The American's buddies expressed their discontent with having Karl play in Kaci's place, stating that Karl should have been competing in tournaments the same way the other competitors have, and that he's been shown favor because he works for Matchroom.

I don't feel this way. I think it is okay that Karl fills a vacant spot.

I wish somebody would show a listing of how many players are from each country, like how many from America, how many from Spain, how many from Italy, et cetera. Maybe one is forthcoming.

Vahmurka

Silver Member
I wish somebody would show a listing of how many players are from each country, like how many from America, how many from Spain, how many from Italy, et cetera. Maybe one is forthcoming.
Guess it's only possible after the first ball is struck, with all the withdrawals of late.
Also it's a bit tricky with a little mess with the countries at cuescore bracket I mentioned above (about UK players). There is also a player named Jeffrey Nieuwenhuijzen who was first listed as being from AHO (the acronym I failed to refer to any country). Found some reports about him from Kuracao, but at cuescore he is from Saint Martin now.

Reactions: JAM

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess it's only possible after the first ball is struck, with all the withdrawals of late.
Also it's a bit tricky with a little mess with the countries at cuescore bracket I mentioned above (about UK players). There is also a player named Jeffrey Nieuwenhuijzen who was first listed as being from AHO (the acronym I failed to refer to any country). Found some reports about him from Kuracao, but at cuescore he is from Saint Martin now.
We have games for him from Ultimate 10-Ball event 2013 but didn't know where he was from

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
Looks like the Philippines will not be sending their best players, again. UK has so many.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The American he is playing will face Karl Boyes who replaced Kaci. The American's buddies expressed their discontent with having Karl play in Kaci's place, stating that Karl should have been competing in tournaments the same way the other competitors have, and that he's been shown favor because he works for Matchroom.

not to diss karl but kaci would be a tougher opponent. in my estimation kaci is a likely semifinalist in this field. i don't see karl going very deep but if he does go deep in a world championship with a field that big he clearly deserves to be there.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
not to diss karl but kaci would be a tougher opponent. in my estimation kaci is a likely semifinalist in this field. i don't see karl going very deep but if he does go deep in a world championship with a field that big he clearly deserves to be there.
Agreed that Kaci is at a much higher level than Karl, and I agree that Kaci would have had a chance to contend for the title. That said, with a silver medal at the World Cup of Pool this spring, Boyes showed he's got some gas left in the tank and, to me, he's more deserving of a spot than more than a few of the invitees. I wish him good luck.

Nobody has a right to complain here. These last minute cancellations are a great nuisance for the event producer at a time when international travel is so troublesome. It made perfect sense for them to look in their own backyard for a replacement and the one they selected was certainly a reasonable choice.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Quoting myself! Ha ha....

Mathroom had a press release a few days ago they will be allowing fans for the final day. Presumably that means fans are not allowed the prior days. So I suppose it’s going to be a boring ghost town until the finals.
I got kudos for Matchroom putting this on in these difficult times.
..and even if they have zero spectators ( it could happen if there’s another breakout ) it’ll still be far more exciting than what it was the past few years....they’ve already showed that in the snooker.

Good job, Matchroom....well, except for the purple five ball. :(

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Agreed that Kaci is at a much higher level than Karl, and I agree that Kaci would have had a chance to contend for the title. That said, with a silver medal at the World Cup of Pool this spring, Boyes showed he's got some gas left in the tank and, to me, he's more deserving of a spot than more than a few of the invitees. I wish him good luck.

Nobody has a right to complain here. These last minute cancellations are a great nuisance for the event producer at a time when international travel is so troublesome. It made perfect sense for them to look in their own backyard for a replacement and the one they selected was certainly a reasonable choice.
Many people are ranting about Klenti....and why Matchroom won’t give him more time...
...it’s all Kaci’s fault...paperwork he didn’t stay on top of. ( grammar Nazis..did I end that sentence illegally? )