WORLD POOL CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 June2021) Champion $50K

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that.

This was contrary to my understanding. In many countries, the pool federation will finance the participation expenses of its members. I have seen this done in the past. Of course, the usual formula wasn't used this year, in that the WPA did not have its usual control of the invitation process. Normally, the WPA would decide how many invitations each country would get, and then the federations would attend to the invitations after that, This year, looking at the field, I suspect that wasn't done, so perhaps expense reimbursement is off the table for those not selected by their country's federation is unavailable. I suspect, however, that most of the top European players are getting reimbursement from their federations.

. Thanks for calling attention to the field. Looks like Taiwan, China and a lot of the Philippines is missing. This has to be corrected going forward. This year is not a true WPC.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
. Thanks for calling attention to the field. Looks like Taiwan, China and a lot of the Philippines is missing. This has to be corrected going forward. This year is not a true WPC.
Right, it's a bit of an asterisk year. The winner will have beaten a field that lacked six of the world's top ten players based on Fargo, and five of the top eight finishers at the 2019 US Open 9-ball are absent.

Nonetheless, it's a huge step forward that Matchroom, pool's top event producer, has reacquired this event, and it bodes well for the future. The winner will have beaten a strong, if not elite field. This year is, competitively speaking, a bit of a test run, and the stars of Asia will be back soon.

All that said, I feel certain that this year's event will provide great drama and is a must-see event. I know I'll be glued to the action.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lucky escape for an unimpressive Gorst. I don't expect Gorst to go deep probably early exit-Will be surprised if he gets to last 16. he has tough match against hardman Mark Gray.

This Filler kid knowledgeable about details of players, tournaments like who has won what tournament and when (Many players have poor recollection in comparison). He said Chang JL loss to him in 2017 China Open was 8th final that Chang had lost- didn't know it was that many (I only recall US Open, China Open, Kuwait Open, All Japan and recently World 9 Ball) o_O
Really cool that Matchroom continues to have guest player commentators like Filler, Albin

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Not a valid comparison here. The World Cup of Pool, to my knowledge, is not a WPA sanctioned event and doesn't carry world ranking points, so it falls outside of this discussion.
My portion of the discussion was focused on the personal expense by players from my nation to compete on the world stage as a representative of our country. I really don't care about WPA and/or ranking points. I care about the best players not having to choose between a loaf of bread or being a rep of my country. I'm blowing that waaay out of proportion but the point remains.

Reactions: sjm

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is the stream quality? Any hickups? I guess it’s worth subscribing now to DAZN since Mathroom is hosting all the major events and using that platform to broadcast?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lucky escape for an unimpressive Gorst. I don't expect Gorst to go deep probably early exit-Will be surprised if he gets to last 16. he has tough match against hardman Mark Gray.

This Filler kid knowledgeable about details of players, tournaments like who has won what tournament and when (Many players have poor recollection in comparison). He said Chang JL loss to him in 2017 China Open was 8th final that Chang had lost- didn't know it was that many (I only recall US Open, China Open, Kuwait Open, All Japan and recently World 9 Ball) o_O
Really cool that Matchroom continues to have guest player commentators like Filler, Albin

yes, very interesting to hear lely pick their brains on particular shots. gorst got away with one there, mark was relentless the first part of the match.

overall a great production from what i've seen.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Yeah, Gorst was sloppy. Magi deserved to be breaking at 8-6 ahead. That said, with so much dead money in the field, almost none of the contenders will fail to reach single elimination in this event, and all that will matter is wo is in form in Stage 2. I think it could be almost anybody that catches a stage in Stage 2.

Agreed about Filler. Through his commentary, he reminds us that he understands the options and understands the percentages more than nearly all of his contemporaries.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Billy Thorpe has won over Webb, a 534 Fargo player. I was thinking going in that 6 on the wire might make for a fair match, but it turns out Billy would have won anyway.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
How is the stream quality? Any hickups? I guess it’s worth subscribing now to DAZN since Mathroom is hosting all the major events and using that platform to broadcast?
Honestly, this being my first stab at paying for a stream and/or matchroom event, I'm left wanting. Only the main table with any coverage...? Really...? I mean even the cheapest backyard streamers can manage to point a camera at more than one table at a time.

I'm not saying they should have full production at every table, but maybe just some live updates and camera switches during pauses rather than submitting me to boxing ads.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

I haven't had any DAZN problems the last 2 events. The stream quality is good. They could do a better job so you can pick out matches throughout the day, instead of loading up the half-day stream and rewinding to the match you want to see.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, this being my first stab at paying for a stream and/or matchroom event, I'm left wanting. Only the main table with any coverage...? Really...? I mean even the cheapest backyard streamers can manage to point a camera at more than one table at a time.

I'm not saying they should have full production at every table, but maybe just some live updates and camera switches during pauses rather than submitting me to boxing ads.
They are trying to promote themselves so they can CONTINUE TO EXIST! Better than watching a Progressive Insurance ad! I got quite a few updates as you can see by my first post-I didnt post half that i had heard. Also i saw a few shots from the Tkach/Mika match.

Not to mention for the first time in YEARS, i can differentiate between ALL the balls. Congratulations whoever accomplished that. You just have to get used to the purple 5 ball and that didnt take me long!

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
They are trying to promote themselves so they can CONTINUE TO EXIST! Better than watching a Progressive Insurance ad! I got quite a few updates as you can see by my first post-I didnt post half that i had heard. Also i saw a few shots from the Tkach/Mika match.
I get it, but I'm already a subscriber. They have my money. I've picked what I want to watch from the main page. Make the content in the breaks relevant.

Maybe I'm just old school in the thinking that I should get what I paid for...?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I get it, but I'm already a subscriber. They have my money. I've picked what I want to watch from the main page. Make the content in the breaks relevant.

Maybe I'm just old school in the thinking that I should get what I paid for...?
Well no one is more old school than I. I feel im getting my money's worth just between the Mosconi Cup and this. I think all the majors just show one table at a time basically- The US Open and Derby City for example. I find trying to watch 3-4 tables at once too much. You always miss something and for me it is impossible to really enjoy any of them. I understand you may be more adept at that than I.

BTW, have you watched the past WPCs from Dubai?

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Why do the commentator yells after each game? Dang man I miss Billy Incardona and Grady Mathews with their chats and chill vipes.

I swear this isnt the NFL, or a Football match!! these commentators are ruining the pleasure of watching this plus I am not benefiting at all, whatsoever.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Well no one is more old school than I. I feel im getting my money's worth just between the Mosconi Cup and this. I think all the majors just show one table at a time basically- The US Open and Derby City for example. I find trying to watch 3-4 tables at once too much. You always miss something and for me it is impossible to really enjoy any of them. I understand you may be more adept at that than I.

BTW, have you watched the past WPCs from Dubai?
Forgive me... I'm not saying that I would want them to jump around continually. However during the main table breaks, maybe run through match score updates, and overheads of action elsewhere. There are tons of fans that would love to catch a glimpse of their favourite player, which will only happen if they're on the main, or possibly a momentary "oh was that?" if they're panning horizontally.

Edit: I stand corrected. I just saw the panning over a different table. They do have the science to make it possible...lol. Shame they aren't using it more

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Why do the commentator yells after each game? Dang man I miss Billy Incardona and Grady Mathews with their chats and chill vipes.

I swear this isnt the NFL, or a Football match!! these commentators are ruining the pleasure of watching this plus I am not benefiting at all, whatsoever.
lol... I don't know. The extreme changes in volume will keep you awake at the very least.

I perfer the commentary on what's actually happening rather than idle chats on the unrelevant.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
It's great that Matchroom pay $500 to those who win just 1 Group match. So they pay 1st to 96th and only those who lost 2 consecutive matches in row get nothing.
On the other hand, that's quite a hill to climb for those who must have spent much more only to get there in Milton Keynes. Like the budget for a Russian participant was estimated around $2500. So winning the first match only covers just one fifth of that. Brutal.