WORLD POOL CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 June2021) Champion $50K

kitsap

Registered
The entire Cue Score web site went down hard. It is slowly coming back up. In a couple of hours should be able to see the draw for tomorrow.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like 6 Americans in the final 64.

Shane
Billy
Sky
Vidal
Sossei
Hunter

I think whoever gets furthest out of Vidal, Sossei and Hunter should be in consideration for the Mosconi Cup team.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oops! I just realized I left out Mateuzs Sniegocki in my writeup of Poland's effort so far. As he won his first two matches, Poland already has six players into Stage 2., namely Mateusz Sniegocki, Viktor Zielinski, Konrad Juszczyszyn, Mieszko Fotunski, Daniel Maciol and Radoslaw Babica.

Three other Polish players are still in with a chance to reach Stage 2.

I'm impressed

A table run it is!

Attachments

• 1623104018724.png
    1623104018724.png
    338.9 KB · Views: 92

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Considering their training camp before 2 weeks back where Konrad Juszczyszyn ran 171 in 14.1, Mateusz Sniegocki 16 b&r in 9b, Daniel Maciol 11 b&r in 9b and Karol Skowerski 9 b&r in 9b I think that would be a viable option..
I love watchin Wiktor. He doesn't dick around. Never need a shot-clock on him. ;)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Poland could field their own MC team and might be the favorite.
Am I reading this correctly? Poland had nine players in the field and all nine advanced to the knockout stage? If so, this is simply incredible!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It's already up :) Some noteable matchups

Shane v Shaw
Gorst v Sky
Appleton v Filler
Kazakis v Oi
Yup, this was to be expected. In this format, those carrying a loss are always in the greatest danger of drawing a stone cold champion, and a few of them always do so. Unlucky for Shaw, Sky, Filler and Oi, but they will have to rise above it. It happened to Josh Filler at the 2019 US Open. Carrying a loss into the knockout stage, he drew Jayson Shaw. That he won and went on to win the title should serve as a positive reminder for all of them.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Entry fee was 500usd,that is info straight from one of the participants🤔
Sorry about the confusion on this. I didn't see anything in Matchroom's PR about an entry fee so I left it blank.

I have now found out that there was indeed a $500 entry fee.

Mike

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Thanks for confirming.

Interesting to me that it's called an invitational.
Isn't it an invitational? Each federation is given an allotment of spots and they invite their players to participate. Well, invite them to pony up the entry fee and participate. I am sure that some federations help cover the player's expenses, but certainly not all of them.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, this was to be expected. In this format, those carrying a loss are always in the greatest danger of drawing a stone cold champion, and a few of them always do so. Unlucky for Shaw, Sky, Filler and Oi, but they will have to rise above it. It happened to Josh Filler at the 2019 US Open. Carrying a loss into the knockout stage, he drew Jayson Shaw. That he won and went on to win the title should serve as a positive reminder for all of them.
Agree

Also looks like Sky and Shane will both be on the tv table tomorrow.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Sorry about the confusion on this. I didn't see anything in Matchroom's PR about an entry fee so I left it blank.

I have now found out that there was indeed a $500 entry fee.

Mike
Who in the hell with a Fargo Rate in the 500s would pay to be in this? And better yet, why are they in this?

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
The loose pockets further devalue what was already a devalued world championship. Disappointed about this. Perhaps Matchroom felt that this less than truly elite field needed loose pockets, but I disagree.
Finally something of Matchroom Pool that you don't approve, Stu ;) Not trying to be picking at you here, just kiddin'. But actually there is more to add to some negativity about this WPC. Not only they developed those pockets with shelves not deep enough (I reckon they must have asked advice from some pool-related experts like Karl or Darren at least?), but they ditched triangle racks and went for templates without any restrictions (which were developed by very knowledgeable people in Europe based on trial and error process). As a result, we've got utter nonsense like referees demanding players (females included!) to be breaking "harder than at previous attempts".

'Devalued' is a very proper tag for this tournament, unfortunately.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Finally something of Matchroom Pool that you don't approve, Stu ;) Not trying to be picking at you here, just kiddin'. But actually there is more to add to some negativity about this WPC. Not only they developed those pockets with shelves not deep enough (I reckon they must have asked advice from some pool-related experts like Karl or Darren at least?), but they ditched triangle racks and went for templates without any restrictions (which were developed by very knowledgeable people in Europe based on trial and error process). As a result, we've got utter nonsense like referees demanding players (females included!) to be breaking "harder than at previous attempts".

'Devalued' is a very proper tag for this tournament, unfortunately.
LOL. Agreed, it's very rare for me to disapprove of anything Matchroom does (although I had quite a few complaints after the Predator LCP event), but they got this wrong, Of course, the big picture is that pulling the event off at all is a minor miracle, but I have to call it as I see it. Looser equipment is a step backward for pool, and with looser equipment, the case for alternate break is a fairly strong one.

They've made the runout less special, and that's not to the liking of this fan. Matchroom, it seems, has taken the view that packages are what the fans want, but I don't think they are right. The fans want to see both players playing. Matches like Mario He vs Tyler Styer, in which one player got practically all of the table time, don't work for me.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL. Agreed, it's very rare for me to disapprove of anything Matchroom does (although I had quite a few complaints after the Predator LCP event), but they got this wrong, Of course, the big picture is that pulling the event off at all is a minor miracle, but I have to call it as I see it. Looser equipment is a step backward for pool, and with looser equipment, the case for alternate break is a fairly strong one.

They've made the runout less special, and that's not to the liking of this fan. Matchroom, it seems, has taken the view that packages are what the fans want, but I don't think they are right. The fans want to see both players playing. Matches like Mario He vs Tyler Styer, in which one player got practically all of the table time, don't work for me.

I'm all for tighter pockets, but unless everyone is running 5 and 6 packs, I don't see how it really diminishes the event.

I did see some questionable shots go in that I thought wouldn't go on tougher equipment, but they were at pocket speed. At the same, I saw a lot of shots that the pockets rejected because they were hit poorly.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Bottom bracket has 7 players with a FargoRate of 800 or higher, including 3 of the top 4 rated players in the world:

Shane 827
Filler 826
Shaw 823
Feijen 812
Ruiz 811
Kazakis 802
Oi 801

Top bracket has just two:

Gorst 818
Ouschan 806