WORLD POOL CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 June2021) Champion $50K

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
11-1 the kid on the last 12 racks -That's not luck!
Of course it isn't luck. Shane said he didn't play well in the post-match interview. Yes, it's AZB, so the countless Shane apologists are sure to come out in droves to make the usual excuses for him (bad luck, format didn't suit him, wrong break rules, nine ball is mostly luck, etc.), but credit to Shane for holding himself fully accountable. He got outplayed, and that can happen. In the way he handled himself, he showed how a champion conducts himself in defeat.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only saw the very end of the match. The first one I've watched from this event. In the first rack the kid totally missed the seven ball and it went in anyway. My thought was these are great tables for beginners! I couldn't tell which ball was which, so call me old school. They are slowly snookerizing pool. Soon we will see smaller balls and a larger table. Genius! ;)

"they" are predator, providing both the tables and the balls. i'm not a fan of all their products, but they are putting money into the sport when few others do, so kudos to them. the tables on the WPM some week ago was much tighter

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They just announced that Shane would be the vice captain of the US Mosconi Cup team. It wasn’t clear if he‘d be a playing vice-captain, but in recent years the vice captain did not play.

Edit: They did clarify that he would be a playing vice-captain. Basically they just fired Joey Gray and gave SVB an automatic spot on the team.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Shane lost his focus when he missed that 5 ball and he never regained it. When the break started working for Szolnoki and he got a couple of rolls it really settled him down. I thought his analysis of the match afterward was spot on.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone in the US with these Predator tables? I haven't been following pool as closely the last half yr

Scrunge19

Registered
They just announced that Shane would be the vice captain of the US Mosconi Cup team. It wasn’t clear if he‘d be a playing vice-captain, but in recent years the vice captain did not play.
With how things are looking for the future of Team USA in the mosconi cup, I’m not sure I’d want to be part of the group responsible for that team’s performance. Hell, they got beat so bad in 2020 that Chris Robinson had to change his name.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For sure this is first time in this event's history that there is no top tier elite player in quarterfinals :LOL:

qtr.JPG

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course it isn't luck. Shane said he didn't play well in the post-match interview. Yes, it's AZB, so the countless Shane apologists are sure to come out in droves to make the usual excuses for him (bad luck, format didn't suit him, wrong break rules, nine ball is mostly luck, etc.), but credit to Shane for holding himself fully accountable. He got outplayed, and that can happen. In the way he handled himself, he showed how a champion conducts himself in defeat.
Yes for sure- On the Youtube stream half the folks sounded like Earl complaining about the luck of his opponents while losing 9-5.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some stats on the Shane and Oliver match

Missed Shots (not including jump shots)
Shane missed 8 shots and left Oliver a shot on 5 of those misses.
Oliver missed 7 shots leaving Shane a shot on 3 of the misses and fluking a ball on 2 of them.

Safety Shots (not including kick safes)
Shane played 8 safeties (7 good and 1 bad)
Oliver played 13 safeties (7 good and 6 bad)

Positional Errors
Shane had 0
Oliver had 2

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With how things are looking for the future of Team USA in the mosconi cup, I’m not sure I’d want to be part of the group responsible for that team’s performance. Hell, they got beat so bad in 2020 that Chris Robinson had to change his name.

what's his name now?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I only saw the very end of the match. The first one I've watched from this event. In the first rack the kid totally missed the seven ball and it went in anyway. My thought was these are great tables for beginners! I couldn't tell which ball was which, so call me old school. They are slowly snookerizing pool. Soon we will see smaller balls and a larger table. Genius! ;)
As usual, Jay, you are correct. Matchroom set the tables up too easy for a World Championship, and it has helped the chances of some of the less elite. How obvious is this? Check it out:

World Pool Masters (tight pockets)
The final four (Fargo in parentheses) were Kazakis (802) SVB (828) Filler (827) Kaci (815), with an average Fargo of 818. Now that's elite and the cream rose to the top.

World Championship (pockets loosened by 1/4")
Only two of the last eight have Fargo rates that put them among the best 35 players in the world and nobody is above 811.

Matchroom got burned a little with the equipment change.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Some stats on the Shane and Oliver match

Missed Shots (not including jump shots)
Shane missed 8 shots and left Oliver a shot on 5 of those misses.
Oliver missed 7 shots leaving Shane a shot on 3 of the misses and fluking a ball on 2 of them.

Safety Shots (not including kick safes)
Shane played 8 safeties (7 good and 1 bad)
Oliver played 13 safeties (7 good and 6 bad)

Positional Errors
Shane had 0
Oliver had 2
Pool is a faithless and fickle game.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
As usual, Jay, you are correct. Matchroom set the tables up too easy for a World Championship, and it has helped the chances of some of the less elite. How obvious is this? Check it out:

World Pool Masters (tight pockets)
The final four (Fargo in parentheses) were Kazakis (802) SVB (828) Filler (827) Kaci (815), with an average Fargo of 818. Now that's elite and the cream rose to the top.

World Championship (pockets loosened by 1/4")
Only two of the last eight have Fargo rates that put them among the best 35 players in the world and nobody is above 811.

Matchroom got burned a little with the equipment change.
Don't think it had anything to do with it, the top players just played bad.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Don't think it had anything to do with it, the top players just played bad.
On that point, here's what I wrote in this thread before the event began, quoting directly from post #19.

We may get a Cinderella story this year, which we've not had since Darryl Peach in 2007 or, if you prefer, Yukio Akagariyama in 2011. I'm not fully convinced the top few are in their best form. With the stars of Asia mostly absent, there are sure to be some easy draws out there and I think somebody unexpected will make a very deep run.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm inclined to disagree. In the last sixteen, to be successful, you need to know how to grind and win the racks that have to be fought for. Nobody does it like the Filipinos, and if the stars of the Philippines had been here and in form, I strongly believe that one of them would have snapped off this event.
Europeans, Filipinos, Taiwanese usually split up roughly equally about 70% to 90% of quarterfinalists or last 16 in international majors (W9B, USO,IO,CO,W10B,AJ). In terms of major titles won in last 5 years, Filipinos do not fare as well-most notable win is Biado winning this event in 2017. The most successful since 2016 are the Europeans who won almost half of the majors followed by the Taiwanese (excluding Wu) :)

mwon1.JPG

Badpenguin

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and a DCC Master of the Table is a great achievement, a testament to all around excellence. That said, probably 98% of the world's one pocket players are American and 99.5% of the world's bank pool players are American, so what's the point of comparison.

It's also worth noting that the elite aren't always present at the Derby. For example, none of these players were at the 2020 Derby city Classic:

JL Chang, Kevin Chang, Anton Raga, Xiaohuai Zheng, Carlo Biado, Wu Jiaqing, Ko Pin Yi, Ko Ping Chung, Albin Ouschan, Niels Feijen, Francisco Sanchez Ruiz. Klenti Kaci, and Fedor Gorst.

That's thirteen of the world's twenty best based on Fargo. Let's not try to confuse the kind of fields you get at the Derby to those found at majors like the US Open, China Open, All Japan and the World Championship. The Derby is great, but it's not quite a gathering of all the elite.
You really know how to rain on a parade, lol.