Average number of games before a table should be recovered?

Geosnookery

I am coming up on 9 years on my cloth (Simonis 760). I have at least 10,000 rack on the table, but only about 100 break shots on the table. I, typically, just roll balls out and then shoot them; sometimes 14.1-like, others 8-ball-like, others, in rotation. The table has little burn spots when the CB was against the rail and I needed draw from a corner shot, some massé shots, the occasional jump shots, but no burn marks from head ball compression or bur lines from breaking from the same spot all the time.
Similar as far as rolling balls out. I rarely break. I make up a variety of games that don’t involve breaking. I also have games where any ball can be the cueball. I likely shoot 2 or 3 times the number of balls compared to the average player racking, always using the white, etc.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where do you people come up with these insane questions lol that’s like asking how many shots can you shoot before you need a new tip lol

How many roads must a man walk down before you call him a man?

Even if someone kept stats on how many games or shots, does anyone actually keep track of those things on their table or cue how often it's used?

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

At my local VFW they haven't changed the cloth on either of the 2 tables in 11 years.
From the looks should have about 5 years ago. Still functional but ... small holes here an there
brushes are locked up so no one can give them a brush job when needed. I got on a well kept
table a few weeks ago and it was like slidin' on ice compared to plowin' the South 40 .

hank

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
At my local VFW they haven't changed the cloth on either of the 2 tables in 11 years.
If the loser had to put a nickel in the jar every game, you could have had Simonis and a new set of Pro Tournament balls after two years.

If the cloth is all worn out, you have gotten your money's worth and it's time to replace it.
... . I got on a well kept table a few weeks ago and it was like slidin' on ice compared to plowin' the South 40 .

hank
A note to the OP: do what Hank did. Go to where you can play on new cloth. If it is amazing and wonderful, get your table recovered. If it is "meh" to you, keep your old cloth.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is it worth 5 cents a rack to you to be playing with nice balls on nice cloth? If so....

5 cents times 15000 racks = $750. That's plenty for real Simonis and a new set of very nice balls.

Cloth does usually slow down as it gets older. That might be due to the cloth getting looser or dust buildup. You should have the cloth on very tight, so that it doesn't bunch up at all if you press your fingers down on the cloth and slide them forward. I used to play in a room where you could easily get a half-inch fold to rise up.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Think there is no “1” answer, some people take care of things, and they last.

Other abuse stuff, and almost new thing look like civl war relics.

Taking care of Pool table is not rocket science. Just is simple maintenance.

Brushing and covering if unused for extended time.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cloth type would play a big part of this answer but I think a potential bigger answer would be how much do you break on your table. The actual areas (if you keep your cloth long enough) of wear “through” are the breaking points. Left, right and center. The next place is usually the foot end of the table on the points of the corner pockets. Many pool halls try to get the most mileage out of their cloth and as such that’s where the wear shows the most. I have been to pool halls (reputable ones) that have had holes in the cloth at the second diamond where 9 ball breaks happen. Usually you move over a touch to break. How many games? Who knows. I guess someone could break from the same spot thousands of times and figure it out. Kinda like the old commercial of how many licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop. I certainly don’t have the patience for that. But, it would be a nice comparison for cloth companies I guess. I never let my cloth get anywhere near that. I recover when I “personally” feel like it. I love new cloth and polished balls. Actually I think it’s best after a week or so. That’s when I think it runs the best between slick and fast and pockets tightening up a bit. Clean balls and slick cloth do amazing things for the draw stroke!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the loser had to put a nickel in the jar every game, you could have had Simonis and a new set of Pro Tournament balls after two years.

If the cloth is all worn out, you have gotten your money's worth and it's time to replace it.

A note to the OP: do what Hank did. Go to where you can play on new cloth. If it is amazing and wonderful, get your table recovered. If it is "meh" to you, keep your old cloth.
Bob, Howdy;

Have tried talking with them (VFW), but they don't sound to interested in spending any $'s to fix anything.
Tables will most likely crumble into dust and those ol'farts will still think they'll be fine. Sad.

hank

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
My buddy has tabled in front Room, like Oldhausen, it is 30 years old, cloth is original. Not much use, he only use now once or twice a year. Covers between Yes's. Has like 12 Original Dufferin One Piece are like NEW.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
So let me get this right, some of you own pool tables and intentionally do not break a rack of balls on it? Do you also not drive your vehicle to keep miles off of it as well?? I feel like I'm in the twilight zone or something...

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
So let me get this right, some of you own pool tables and intentionally do not break a rack of balls on it? Do you also not drive your vehicle to keep miles off of it as well?? I feel like I'm in the twilight zone or something...
I always just rolled the balls out and took ball in hand.

What does that have to do with "not driving our tables"? Do the shots not count as play if we don't break the balls?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
im planning to get new 860hr and a new ball set after about 2 yrs
not thrilled with standard 860

whenever i feel like spending money is when i get the cloth changed
no clue on number of games i dont keep record