A Nit Or Not A Nit..

eddiethelock

Locksmith
Silver Member
Just got back from the Ten ball in Front Royal, Virginia. Great room, monster field.. Nice owners..
Had an incident of wtf in my match with a nitwit (correct term? you decide) named Zack.. He breaks dry and the two is rounding the table heading directly to the ten ball which remains where it was racked. The two ball is slow rolling towards the ten and looking to freeze on it. It hits the pos magic rack (i'm not a fan) takes a right turn and rolls off about an inch, leaving about a half inch gap between itself and the ten.
Neither ball is on top of the rack, new referee at that end of the room and hasn't automatically removed it like the previous ref the few games before, present score 4-2 me. I remark laughing how the pos magic rack changed the path and I approach the table the same/like the ref would and proceed to remove the rack off the table, brushing the ten ball and it moves and cabbage patch boy calls a foul.. Uses the foul on all balls rule and the director even sided with him.. lmao.. WTF.... NIT? Me thinks so.. Anything to twin a game.. later on in the set he asks the ref to remove the rack and the ref did the same thing and moved the ten ball the same as I did... I shudda called foul.. pos move on cabbage patch boy.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got back from the Ten ball in Front Royal, Virginia. Great room, monster field.. Nice owners..
Had an incident of wtf in my match with a nitwit (correct term? you decide) named Zack.. He breaks dry and the two is rounding the table heading directly to the ten ball which remains where it was racked. The two ball is slow rolling towards the ten and looking to freeze on it. It hits the pos magic rack (i'm not a fan) takes a right turn and rolls off about an inch, leaving about a half inch gap between itself and the ten.
Neither ball is on top of the rack, new referee at that end of the room and hasn't automatically removed it like the previous ref the few games before, present score 4-2 me. I remark laughing how the pos magic rack changed the path and proceed to remove the rack off the table, brushing the ten ball and it moves and cabbage patch boy calls a foul.. Uses the foul on all balls rule and the director even sided with him.. lmao.. WTF.... NIT? Me thinks so.. Anything to twin a game.. later on in the set he asks the ref to remove the rack and the ref did the same thing and moved the ten ball the same as I did... I shudda called foul.. pos move on cabbage patch boy.
What a fkng tool. 'Cabbage patch boy' is absolutely PRICELESS. Gonna add that to my 'poolroom nit-attacking ammo belt'. Thanks......

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neither ball is on top of the rack, new referee at that end of the room and hasn't automatically removed it like the previous ref the few games before, present score 4-2 me. I remark laughing how the pos magic rack changed the path and proceed to remove the rack off the table, brushing the ten ball and it moves and cabbage patch boy calls a foul.. Uses the foul on all balls rule and the director even sided with him.. lmao.. WTF.... NIT? Me thinks so.. Anything to twin a game.. later on in the set he asks the ref to remove the rack and the ref did the same thing and moved the ten ball the same as I did... I shudda called foul.. pos move on cabbage patch boy.
In a tournament, especially with a significant $ entry and payout and I assume a $ player auction, with a ref overseeing a number of matches at the same time, particular when considering all-ball-fouls enforced, unless you had 100% certainty you could remove the template without disturbing any balls, clearly you should have waited on the ref to remove the template. If he screws up and accidentally moves a ball, he makes the appropriate decision how to best handle it.

Yes, it’s nitty of your opponent to call a foul on you and demand ball-in-hand, but he was trailing in the match to you at that time and needing some help, and you presented the opportunity. You do have to acknowledge some responsibility for your error in judgement.

In my opinion, if I was the TD / ref in that situation, the correct thing to do considering your accident is to offer your opponent the option of them moving the ball back to where they think it was, or leave it as is - whichever position they figure is most beneficial to them. If they choose a location for it to be replaced that in your judgement is not accurate and even more to their potential advantage, that’s just the breaks and the penalty for your error in judgement.

Give us a follow-up as to the outcome - who won that game and who won the match?

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
You fouled right? What exactly is your complaint. Now you call your opponent names. I think I know who is the nit here. "You asked".

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't mind the template. slug rack discussions and even brawls were 10x worse than any issue i have with the template. RYO rack mechanics is also bs. but i don't like the template staying on the table, neither on the playing surface or on the rail.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Fouls on All balls is tough. I remember I think it was Jimmy Marino when he had long hair bending over the table and his hair fouling a ball.

I think it was Arthur Cranfield playing straight pool shooting for two. He was chalking his cue and dropped the cube of chalk. It bounced off the rail coming in contact with a ball. Irving Crane came back to the table and ran out.

sonny burnett

Registered
Fouls on All balls is tough. I remember I think it was Jimmy Marino when he had long hair bending over the table and his hair fouling a ball.

I think it was Arthur Cranfield playing straight pool shooting for two. He was chalking his cue and dropped the cube of chalk. It bounced off the rail coming in contact with a ball. Irving Crane came back to the table and ran out.
I think that's why fats had that upright stroke. His girth could have fouled 5 balls!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

eddiethelock

Locksmith
Silver Member
What a fkng tool. 'Cabbage patch boy' is absolutely PRICELESS. Gonna add that to my 'poolroom nit-attacking ammo belt'. Thanks......
I hope The JO gets famous on this
You fouled right? What exactly is your complaint. Now you call your opponent names. I think I know who is the nit here. "You asked".
i only acted the same as a referee would... the dirtbag cudda mentioned not to touch anything and/or that he'd call that crap and be a fkn nit. now he gets to enjoy the chemo cause those wishes went out

eddiethelock

Locksmith
Silver Member

that rule should have been negated... player acting as a referee stuff

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Many tournaments have a special disclaimer in the rules: "When a player is acting as a referee, he cannot foul". This should be a no-brainer. If you are spotting a ball, removing the magic rack etc, because no referee is present, nobody should be able to call a foul on you. Usually it's solved by agreeing with the other player to lift the ball(s) that is/are in the way so the magic rack can be removed. If he doesn't agree to that, he's an idiot and will get no respect from me.

eddiethelock

Locksmith
Silver Member
should be that i acted as a referee.
Many tournaments have a special disclaimer in the rules: "When a player is acting as a referee, he cannot foul". This should be a no-brainer. If you are spotting a ball, removing the magic rack etc, because no referee is present, nobody should be able to call a foul on you. Usually it's solved by agreeing with the other player to lift the ball(s) that is/are in the way so the magic rack can be removed. If he doesn't agree to that, he's an idiot and will get no respect from me.
thnx .. wasn't rocket science

middleofnowhere

Registered
that rule should have been negated... player acting as a referee stuff
Fouls on the cue ball only is better. Except for straight pool, I can't recall playing 9 or 10 fouls on all balls. Whose dumb idea was that. Unless you are playing with a ref actually overlooking the entire game it creates problems.

I don't want to acting as a ref calling fouls on my opponent. I want to relax in the chair.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
This reminds me of a situation I had once. It was league, one of their team refereeing. My opponent scratched (leaving me an easy finish). League rules were that the referee should retrieve the cue ball from the gulley and put it back on the table, if the player does it, it's a foul. But by local convention and sense of sportsmanship, most people/teams didn't apply the rule.

I looked to the ref, gave him a few seconds to go get the CB if he wanted to (he stayed completely still, made no indication he was going to get the ball), then I went and got it myself. Obviously he called a foul and the other guy won the frame.

The lesson to me was if you're going to trust a stranger to be pragmatic / honest, sometimes you're going to be disappointed. At least explicitly ask the question, whether they'll allow whatever you're planning to do.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

the same thing happened in the world pool championship this year, if i'm not mistaken. one of those round chalks was dropped and rolled onto the playing surface