A Nit Or Not A Nit..

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
At the last WPC and the last US Open 9-ball, they didn't use the template in the knockout stages and referees always racked the balls. It was the same at the las Mosconi Cup and the last World Pool Masters. Matchroom gets it and as they are, at present, the ones setting the trends for pro pool in the World, I expect that the gradual move away from the template in the business rounds of the majors will continue.
In the later stages of tournaments I also think they should be using a triangle with a ref. That's way more manageable, and hopefully unbiased.

Reactions: sjm

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I don't call fouls like that one. I also tell my opponent if they happen to be lined up on the incorrect ball.
I care less about the rules than I do integrity.
That implies that someone following the rules doesn't care about their integrity as a player. Not sure if you meant that by extension. What about the integrity of the game...? The problem here isn't the guy calling the foul. It's the guy who fouled and thinks he should get away with it because of whatever assumed bs. The only person that should have been calling that foul, was the OP. Where's the comments about his integrity...?

The winner of the match isn't supposed to be the guy who made the most money balls. It supposed to be the guy who played within the rules and still made the most. There's repercussions beyond the match at hand. If those non-called fouls end up aiding the player to advance in the tournament, you're potentially screwing over other players. I know that sounds like a stretch, but it is a potential reality.

It would have only taken a moment to confirm with the other guy about moving the template before a ref got there. If both agreed that no foul would be called, then there you go. If there was any moment of hesitation, then you simply wait. Problem solved.

Would I have called that foul...? Well it is a foul, and in that situation they are supposed to be using refs to remove templates, so...., (edit: I want to add that I would warn the player as they reached for the template) If the player decided to adjust an overhead light shade and it fell on the table and subsequently moved a ball. Would he avoid a foul because he claimed he was acting as 'room maintenance'...?

Last edited:

LWW

MEMGO5
Silver Member
As an opponent I would not have called for a foul, but from the description he was within the rules.

The correct thing would have been for the ref to do their job.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Calling that a nit move is an insult to nits.

Did you tell the tournament director you were acting as referee?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Even in cue ball only rules I will ask my opponent to come help or at least watch if I think there is a chance to move a ball while removing the template. Its no different than having a ref or fellow player (if no ref is available) watch a questionable shot even if I am the one shooting. Too many people like to call fouls on close but good hits to get back to the table. If it happens to you once it should never happen again, if it does its because you failed.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got back from the Ten ball in Front Royal, Virginia. Great room, monster field.. Nice owners..
Had an incident of wtf in my match with a nitwit (correct term? you decide) named Zack.. He breaks dry and the two is rounding the table heading directly to the ten ball which remains where it was racked. The two ball is slow rolling towards the ten and looking to freeze on it. It hits the pos magic rack (i'm not a fan) takes a right turn and rolls off about an inch, leaving about a half inch gap between itself and the ten.
Neither ball is on top of the rack, new referee at that end of the room and hasn't automatically removed it like the previous ref the few games before, present score 4-2 me. I remark laughing how the pos magic rack changed the path and I approach the table the same/like the ref would and proceed to remove the rack off the table, brushing the ten ball and it moves and cabbage patch boy calls a foul.. Uses the foul on all balls rule and the director even sided with him.. lmao.. WTF.... NIT? Me thinks so.. Anything to twin a game.. later on in the set he asks the ref to remove the rack and the ref did the same thing and moved the ten ball the same as I did... I shudda called foul.. pos move on cabbage patch boy.
Followed that tournament on "challonge app" as I had a few friends playing.
Monster field.
Hope you did well.

Cuedup

Calling this foul is slightly above calling a foul for not marking the 8 ball pocket. Just barely.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I played in the event as well. The tournament director had a player's meeting Friday night. He really wanted this to be a professional event so we played all ball fouls and we had 4 referees arms length away at all times. He set the rules that removing the magic rack was a foul if a ball was touched and that we were to ask a referee to do this. There was NEVER a delay with this request.

I'll admit it is unusual. Usually when I play all ball fouls my opponent and I make a gentleman's agreement not to call fouls on each other when removing a template. If there are multiple balls in the rack area and there is any chance it will impact play then we get the ref, if not we just peel it and no big deal. But at this event the refs and TD said that wasn't ok. Even if we agreed on that the ref could step in, call foul, and pick up the cue ball. This was how they were told to enforce the rules. So when I played I asked a ref to pull the magic rack.

In the end the TD makes the rules and we play by them. Anytime something differs from what we normally do it seems like it is wrong. Remember when they played the tournament where every 10 ball had to be called, no matter how easy, and multiple pros lost matches because they shot a 10 ball straight into the corner but forgot to call it? This is no different. Go to the player's meeting and make sure you cover your bases when you compete. There is always an odd rule to adjust to and it's your job as a competitor to adjust. If you don't it's not the rule's fault or your opponent's fault, it's yours.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
***Please read my above post. I want to note one important thing: The TD had a player's meeting covering this situation and it was different from most tournaments I've played. If you don't read this and just use traditional etiquette your answer isn't relevant. Thank you.***

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
***Please read my above post. I want to note one important thing: The TD had a player's meeting covering this situation and it was different from most tournaments I've played. If you don't read this and just use traditional etiquette your answer isn't relevant. Thank you.***
It was you, wasn't it?

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was you, wasn't it?
No. But I damn sure had a ref pull the turtle racks off for me so it didn't happen to me. I guess it comes down to if you want to focus on other's behavior outside of your control and be a victim, or if you want be harshly accountable with yourself and be a winner. Enforcing an uncommon rule is a misdemeanor, not taking 100% ownership for your own error is a felony.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I played in the event as well. The tournament director had a player's meeting Friday night. He really wanted this to be a professional event so we played all ball fouls and we had 4 referees arms length away at all times. He set the rules that removing the magic rack was a foul if a ball was touched and that we were to ask a referee to do this. There was NEVER a delay with this request.

I'll admit it is unusual. Usually when I play all ball fouls my opponent and I make a gentleman's agreement not to call fouls on each other when removing a template. If there are multiple balls in the rack area and there is any chance it will impact play then we get the ref, if not we just peel it and no big deal. But at this event the refs and TD said that wasn't ok. Even if we agreed on that the ref could step in, call foul, and pick up the cue ball. This was how they were told to enforce the rules. So when I played I asked a ref to pull the magic rack.

In the end the TD makes the rules and we play by them. Anytime something differs from what we normally do it seems like it is wrong. Remember when they played the tournament where every 10 ball had to be called, no matter how easy, and multiple pros lost matches because they shot a 10 ball straight into the corner but forgot to call it? This is no different. Go to the player's meeting and make sure you cover your bases when you compete. There is always an odd rule to adjust to and it's your job as a competitor to adjust. If you don't it's not the rule's fault or your opponent's fault, it's yours.
I watched the tail end of one of your matches... Thought for sure you had the come back in hand.

So it looks as though the supposed "nit" did exactly what the TD wanted him to do... ...and the other 'not nit'(?) broke the rules clearly set out in the player's meeting....lol

Probably won't change any of the Banger's opinions though.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. But I damn sure had a ref pull the turtle racks off for me so it didn't happen to me. I guess it comes down to if you want to focus on other's behavior outside of your control and be a victim, or if you want be harshly accountable with yourself and be a winner. Enforcing an uncommon rule is a misdemeanor, not taking 100% ownership for your own error is a felony.
You play well (and very slow), and you help a lot of people with their game. You seem like a really nice guy...but you are tedious, amigo.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I watched the tail end of one of your matches... Thought for sure you had the come back in hand.

So it looks as though the supposed "nit" did exactly what the TD wanted him to do... ...and the other 'not nit'(?) broke the rules clearly set out in the player's meeting....lol

Probably won't change any of the Banger's opinions though.
Exactly!