Fastest 150 and out on video?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sigel vs. Zuglan was about 50 minutes, or three balls per minute.

The Crane vs. Balsis run was about 52 minutes but I'm not sure what was done with the racking/commercials and such.

(For comparisons to other lengths of game, Butera was at about 7 balls/minute.)

Appleton's 200-and-out was about 97 minutes.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
It really puts Buteras insane pace in perspective. I watched a match with Jayson Shaw and thought he was trucking along fairly fast, but he was probably closer to Sigels pace than Buteras, and he didn't run 150.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I saw Lou Butera play 14.1 many times live in his prime, and he was, at very least, the fastest by far among the elite players. A lesser known player, but a 200+ ball runner, played a little faster than Lou. His name was Steve "Stevie Wonder" Dobrowolski, and he was better known as an action player. If memory serves, he hailed from the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA.

In the nine ball era, it's almost too close to call between Luc Salvas and Tony Drago for fastest player.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Lou Butera play 14.1 many times live in his prime, and he was, at very least, the fastest by far among the elite players. A lesser known player, but a 200+ ball runner, played a little faster than Lou. His name was Steve "Stevie Wonder" Dobrowolski, and he was better known as an action player. If memory serves, he hailed from the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA.

In the nine ball era, it's almost too close to call between Luc Salvas and Tony Drago for fastest player.
Wiktor Zelinski from Poland is the current rabbit. This kid doesn't let grass grow under his feet. Fun to watch.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wiktor Zelinski from Poland is the current rabbit. This kid doesn't let grass grow under his feet. Fun to watch.
Yeah, Victor gets on with it, though not quite playing at the pace Salvas and Drago did. Victor has a lot of potential and I wish him well.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
:eek:

Is this available online? Would love to watch.
I have never heard of a film having been made of it. I believe it was in a round-robin match, which would have been just another match of many, and so nothing special to get out a film crew for. As I vaguely recall, it was in one of Fred Whalen's events in California. .... Found it:

Scan20210515.jpg

Scan20210515_0001.jpg

Scan20210515_0003.jpg

I have read other mentions of the run. It's disappointing that there was so little info on both the run and the event. No opponent listed, no list of finishes or prizes, no details about the timing. Maybe the promoter, Fred Whalen, was so disheartened by the financial result that he didn't bother to forward any info.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sigel vs. Zuglan was about 50 minutes, or three balls per minute.

The Crane vs. Balsis run was about 52 minutes but I'm not sure what was done with the racking/commercials and such.

(For comparisons to other lengths of game, Butera was at about 7 balls/minute.)

Appleton's 200-and-out was about 97 minutes.
There is one more 150 and out on video - Ortmann vs Herring in 2009. It took about an hour. There was a delay at one point when Herring questioned whether Ortmann had fouled.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This thread is taking me back to the days when people actually played straight pool against an opponent, a relative rarity these days.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, this is very true- most of the guys down where I am, that I can find for a game of 14.1 are 70+, and they are hard to find! Also, with table times being what they are in some places, a 14.1 safety battle could cost you $20 LOL -

A 23 day 14.1 event- we'll never see anything like that again either!

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
This thread is taking me back to the days when people actually played straight pool against an opponent, a relative rarity these days.
Speaking of which, I just watched the final of the '92 US Open and when the camera panned to the crowd I almost fell off the couch. I couldn't believe the size of the audience. The crowd size was almost comparable to modern-day professional snooker tournaments. I have to wonder what happened? 1992 isn't THAT long ago.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Speaking of which, I just watched the final of the '92 US Open and when the camera panned to the crowd I almost fell off the couch. I couldn't believe the size of the audience. The crowd size was almost comparable to modern-day professional snooker tournaments. I have to wonder what happened? 1992 isn't THAT long ago.
Yup, I was there for that final, a young man of just 34 at the time. Earlier in the day, in a match I didn't see, Dallas West, according to Zuglan, had beaten Mike Zuglan in two innings to reach the final against Sigel. As memorable as the pool was, the trick shot show performed by Mike Massey just before the final may have been even more memorable. This was the first time the fans, and also most of his fellow pros, saw Mike's show, and even the pros were oohing and aahing at what they were watching.

The crowd that night at the Roosevelt Hotel may have been even bigger than you might realize, for there was a balcony, too.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Yup, I was there for that final, a young man of just 34 at the time. Earlier in the day, in a match I didn't see, Dallas West, according to Zuglan, had beaten Mike Zuglan in two innings to reach the final against Sigel. As memorable as the pool was, the trick shot show performed by Mike Massey just before the final may have been even more memorable. This was the first time the fans, and also most of his fellow pros, saw Mike's show, and even the pros were oohing and aahing at what they were watching.

The crowd that night at the Roosevelt Hotel may have been even bigger than you might realize, for there was a balcony, too.
Oh yes, they mentioned Mikes exhibition in the commentary. I didn’t realize it started in the early 90s.

I noticed the balcony but couldn’t tell how much of the crowd was up there. I’ve seen the 150 and out and Zuglans 148, but the cameras didn’t give a good sense of how many people were in attendance. I’ve ordered the whole set so I’m looking forward to watching every match.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Oh yes, they mentioned Mikes exhibition in the commentary. I didn’t realize it started in the early 90s.

I noticed the balcony but couldn’t tell how much of the crowd was up there. I’ve seen the 150 and out and Zuglans 148, but the cameras didn’t give a good sense of how many people were in attendance. I’ve ordered the whole set so I’m looking forward to watching every match.
The Sigel and Zuglan runs came the night before the final at the 1992 US Open. I believe that Sigel ran 150 and out on Zuglan in the winner's bracket semifinal, after which Mike unforgettably offered "I gotta work on my lag." Zuglan then ran 148 against Ray Martin shortly thereafter. If you look closely, you'll see that Mosconi and Caras were in the audience and sitting together during Sigel's run. Sadly, Willie would die within the next year, so for most of us, this was the last time we'd see him. It was the most memorable evening of straight pool that I've ever had the pleasure to witness.

My guess is that the paid crowd for the final was about 175 people (no more than 50 on the balcony), although I'm only taking a wild stab at it. The final was a bit anticlimactic, not played at the level of the matches that led up to it.

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
The Sigel and Zuglan runs came the night before the final at the 1992 US Open. I believe that Sigel ran 150 and out on Zuglan in the winner's bracket semifinal, after which Mike unforgettably offered "I gotta work on my lag." Zuglan then ran 148 against Ray Martin shortly thereafter. If you look closely, you'll see that Mosconi and Caras were in the audience and sitting together during Sigel's run. Sadly, Willie would die within the next year, so for most of us, this was the last time we'd see him. It was the most memorable evening of straight pool that I've ever had the pleasure to witness.

My guess is that the paid crowd for the final was about 175 people (no more than 50 on the balcony), although I'm only taking a wild stab at it. The final was a bit anticlimactic, not played at the level of the matches that led up to it.
That must have been pretty special to have Mosconi and Caras watch that. I remember it being a pretty clean run too.

Thats fewer spectators than I estimated, I had guessed closer to 300. But still a bigger audience than we get for many modern tournaments.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wow. Great pic, and the 34 year old version of SJM is in that picture somewhere. It was a very special evening at the Roosevelt Hotel on Madison Avenue and 46th Street in New York City. The Roosevelt Hotel, which I walked past earlier this week, had also hosted the 1980, 1981, 1982, and 1983 PPPA World Straight Pool Championships, so it was among the more significant homes of straight pool --- Mike Sigel and Nick Varner each won their first world championships during that stretch. Our old friend Danny DLiberto, aged 47 at the time, reached the final against Steve Mizerak in 1982 before settling for the silver medal.

Thanks for the memories.

gerryf

Is that the Roosevelt Hotel on 45th St?

If so, on their Gallery page, they have this image!! It apparently closed for good in Dec 2020.

1626661698125.png

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is that the Roosevelt Hotel on 45th St? ...
Yes. Ouch. From what I read, it went through many owners in its 96-year history, but losses from Covid-19 were the final straw. I wonder what the future of that space will be.