Fastest 150 and out on video?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes. Ouch. From what I read, it went through many owners in its 96-year history, but losses from Covid-19 were the final straw. I wonder what the future of that space will be.
Wow, that's sad to hear --- a lot of good memories there. It stretched all the way from 45th St to 46 St on Madison Avenue. It's still there, but I guess it's no longer open.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was the referee in the match when Zuglan ran 148 against Ray Martin. In those days, the ref called every shot. At 148, Zuglan had a decent shot, but chose a more difficult one, and missed. He couldn’t explain why he took that shot
Mosconi sat front row next to Caras. They both signed my program. Jimmy asked me my name and wrote something nice. Mosconi signed, “Best Wishes, Willie Mosconi”, but never spoke to me.
After the Zuglan 148 match, Caras said that he never saw back-to-back 150 run outs. I never saw either Mosconi or Caras again after that night. We wore tuxedos and I was soaking wet after the match.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Lou Butera play 14.1 many times live in his prime, and he was, at very least, the fastest by far among the elite players. A lesser known player, but a 200+ ball runner, played a little faster than Lou. His name was Steve "Stevie Wonder" Dobrowolski, and he was better known as an action player. If memory serves, he hailed from the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA.

In the nine ball era, it's almost too close to call between Luc Salvas and Tony Drago for fastest player.
Stu who’s the fastest of the 4 players you mention??. I’ve also been lucky enough to see 3 of them live myself. I met Lou a few times what a great guy.

I think it’s Lou but I’m not certain.

one thing is certain if they slowed down I think they wouldn’t play as well. They are rhythm players. The exception not the rule for sure.

thx
Fatboy😁😁

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu who’s the fastest of the 4 players you mention??. I’ve also been lucky enough to see 3 of them live myself. I met Lou a few times what a great guy.

one thing is certain if they slowed down I think they wouldn’t play as well. They are rhythm players. The exception not the rule for sure.

thx
Fatboy😁😁
Probably Tony Drago.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

thx
Fatboy😁😁
Vivian Villlareal comes to mind, as well. I always thought she'd have done better if she slowed down a bit, but prolly not!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Vivian Villlareal comes to mind, as well. I always thought she'd have done better if she slowed down a bit, but prolly not!
Yeah, Vivian played fast, and so did Ga Young, but they were far slower than the fastest men professionals.

I agree that slowing down wouldn't have made any difference for Vivian or any of these. Those who play fast and still make good decisions, adhere to their pre-shot routines and execute at a high level are giving up nothing to their rivals.

Stevexjfe

In 1967, Lou Butera ran 150 balls in an exhibition match against Luther Lassiter in 19 minutes, that's hard to beat.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Sigel and Zuglan runs came the night before the final at the 1992 US Open. I believe that Sigel ran 150 and out on Zuglan in the winner's bracket semifinal, after which Mike unforgettably offered "I gotta work on my lag." Zuglan then ran 148 against Ray Martin shortly thereafter. If you look closely, you'll see that Mosconi and Caras were in the audience and sitting together during Sigel's run. Sadly, Willie would die within the next year, so for most of us, this was the last time we'd see him. It was the most memorable evening of straight pool that I've ever had the pleasure to witness.

My guess is that the paid crowd for the final was about 175 people (no more than 50 on the balcony), although I'm only taking a wild stab at it. The final was a bit anticlimactic, not played at the level of the matches that led up to it.
I heard a story about Caras and Mosconi watching Sigels 150 and out.Caras says to Mosconi "What did you think of his 150 and out?
Mosconi says "Too many crossing patterns'
Caras says "But he did run 150"
I dont know if it's true or not but sounds like a typical Mosconi answer.