What would you do here?

Playing 9 Ball: In which pocket would you try to shoot the seven ball?

• A

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • B

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • C

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • D

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • E

Votes: 65 42.5%

• Total voters

JC

Coos Cues
If I broke and ran the table to that shape on the six there is no doubt in my mind I'm going forward two rails to shoot it in E. By then I'm confident and in stroke and no chance I'm coming up short behind the 9. Get the rack ready this one is history.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I broke and ran the table to that shape on the six there is no doubt in my mind I'm going forward two rails to shoot it in E. By then I'm confident and in stroke and no chance I'm coming up short behind the 9. Get the rack ready this one is history.
I was initially thinking the two cushion option as well, with high inside to set up the 7 for E, but looking more closely at the diagram at the angle on the 6-ball, I believe it would take rather extreme inside spin to bring the cue ball two cushions off the end rail and side rail back out. I believe it’s much easier to simply apply just enough inside to come off the end cushion and back up, avoiding the 9-ball, for shape on the 7-ball in E.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I was initially thinking the two cushion option as well, with high inside to set up the 7 for E, but looking more closely at the diagram at the angle on the 6-ball, I believe it would take rather extreme inside spin to bring the cue ball two cushions off the end rail and side rail back out. I believe it’s much easier to simply apply just enough inside to come off the end cushion and back up, avoiding the 9-ball, for shape on the 7-ball in E.
I physically played the 2 rail position. I think I had the balls set up correctly. I think the choice of 1 or 2 rails boils down to table conditions.

If there is an option I nearly always play the second rail. Stronger shot, fuller stroke and usually provides greater margin of error.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I physically played the 2 rail position. I think I had the balls set up correctly. I think the choice of 1 or 2 rails boils down to table conditions.

If there is an option I nearly always play the second rail. Stronger shot, fuller stroke and usually provides greater margin of error.
I do agree with the 2 rail shape if it is possible. The advantage of the two rail option on this shot for me, is firstly, it avoids the chance of running in to the 9-ball. Secondly, once the cue ball comes off the second cushion, it is moving further away from the side cushion, whereas simply coming off the end cushion and up, if you’ve used a little too much inside to avoid the 9-ball, you risk the cue ball ending up too close to the side cushion. That would no doubt lead to a much tougher shot and shape from the 7-ball to the 8-ball.

middleofnowhere

Registered
The truth is, on any given day you may do things differently. You often do things out of convenience based on how you are playing that day. In his video he is discussing pool theory.

I believe this to be the most important thing in everything you do in life. You need to know why you are doing something a certain way. Not just "I was told to do it that way". Understanding theory is everything in most things you do and that certainly applies to pool as well.

It does not mean you will do it that way every time, circumstances may dictate differently. In the shot example I chose pocket C. for several reasons.

One, the shot already is there I don't have to create anything. Also the cueball is fairly close to the object ball so the distance to the pocket to me doesn't matter much.

Also, if I don't like how I end up I can easily roll the 7 into either side pocket and get on the 8. I could even shoot it in pocket B for that matter. Barring me missing the 7, I should get out from there.

As a side note, doing things by the book is not always the best way as anyone who has ever worked on cars knows. The book can have you taking half the engine apart to do a repair when a simple mechanics trick can make the job a snap.

JC

Coos Cues
I thought about straight high off the end rail but you are crossing the shape zone line IMO it's more likely to get bad on the 7. This is Sharivari's choice though.

JC

Coos Cues
As a side note, doing things by the book is not always the best way as anyone who has ever worked on cars knows. The book can have you taking half the engine apart to do a repair when a simple mechanics trick can make the job a snap.
But it's best to at least read the book first because many times the trick you need is in the accepted process.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm another fan of using a little extra side spin for the extra rail on the 7E option. The line that Sharivari chose in the video is going though the small portion of the target area, closer to the 7 and 9. I prefer to max out the side spin and kick it out into the meat of the target area and make the line passing through the target zone as long as possible. I'm obviously not a 14.1 guy and don't care for close quarter work if the situation will allow me to get a little distance, I'll go that route. I'm in agreement with Garczar on those side pocket options, risky at best. Side pockets these days on commercial tables are a No-Go for me if it involves much of an angle at all.

middleofnowhere

Registered
But it's best to at least read the book first because many times the trick you need is in the accepted process.
That's why my reference to no matter how you play you have to know the basic theory.
Then of course there is the hidden bolt that without the book you may never get it apart.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'm another fan of using a little extra side spin for the extra rail on the 7E option. The line that Sharivari chose in the video is going though the small portion of the target area, closer to the 7 and 9.
Between those two I'd choose the 1-rail route - there's a small risk of scratching in the side, but a longer path across the shape zone with less (no?) side spin.

pj
chgo

shot.png

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If people are so worried about how to get position on this ball, I bet they spend 15 minutes between shots when they get a real difficult situation.

JC

Coos Cues
Would some of the half of you who think pocket C is a smart choice please post a video of yourself getting out on these 4 balls 5 times in a row using that route on a 9 foot table?

Bet I can get one up to pocket E with less takes and I'm not even a strong player. Come on Fatboy show us how it's done and then we can decide whether to raise up the bet or not. (y)

JC

Coos Cues
Would some of the half of you who think pocket C is a smart choice please post a video of yourself getting out on these 4 balls 5 times in a row using that route on a 9 foot table?

Bet I can get one up to pocket E with less takes and I'm not even a strong player. Come on Fatboy show us how it's done and then we can decide whether to raise up the bet or not. (y)
Literally took me 5 minutes to get it done. And I'm just a 600 fargo player. Now I want all those pocket C enthusiasts to get to work on their videos. Sorry I didn't realize the camera was so zoomed in until I loaded it to my computer. Just have to take my word on the 8 ball.:)

Here is the video:

Even on the 4 runouts I failed on prior to this video starting I never got out of shape on the 7 nor missed it. I failed to get to the 8 properly twice, scratched in the corner by the 8 once and missed the 9 once.

Last edited:

goin2bepro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello guys,

I am doing some research for a possible future video. Could you give me your vote on the pocket of your choice for the seven ball? I allowed to choose multiple pockets, in case you are trying to have multiple options depending on your accuracy in cue ball control.

This is the 9 Ball situation you're facing:

View attachment 603295
Draw gives you A, B, C, and D.