What would you do here?

Playing 9 Ball: In which pocket would you try to shoot the seven ball?

• A

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • B

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • C

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • D

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • E

Votes: 65 42.5%

• Total voters

Sharivari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello guys,

I am doing some research for a possible future video. Could you give me your vote on the pocket of your choice for the seven ball? I allowed to choose multiple pockets, in case you are trying to have multiple options depending on your accuracy in cue ball control.

This is the 9 Ball situation you're facing:

sit.jpg

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd try to shoot the 7 in the corner pocket "E". Shooting the 6 with high right, come around 2 rails short of the 7E tangent line to get an angle to go up table for the 8. I think I'll set this one up on the table right now to see how goes. Thanks!

Edit: I'm hoping that the angle on the 6 is enough to get the CB around the target area about midway between the 9 and side pocket "A"

Last edited:

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6 ball stun shot. Possible tap draw but it will probably make for a side or B pocket. I would stun, play 7 in C with follow. 8 in B and 9 in F or E depending on angle. Not a very difficult out at all. Several different options depending on angles from shot to shot. Now put that 7 closely under the 9 and you have an entirely different a way more difficult out.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
B. Just a touch of draw, back off the bottom rail.

That also gives me the most fallback options if I get a bit wonkey on my leave.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Would play for A… have B for plan b if position is off….. or C for plan c.

Last edited:

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
B. Just a touch of draw, back off the bottom rail.

That also gives me the most fallback options if I get a bit wonkey on my leave.
Same. The position zone for B/A is large and easy to get to. Also keeps the 9 out of the way.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
E for me. When I first looked at the layout I thought C. But even if you had BIH, getting from the 7 to the 8 with the CB behind the 7 is tricky. In contrast, getting from the 7 to the 8 if shooting in pocket E is super natural. Only danger is getting hidden by the 9, or going too far with the CB and then the CB would run into the 9.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello guys,

I am doing some research for a possible future video. Could you give me your vote on the pocket of your choice for the seven ball? I allowed to choose multiple pockets, in case you are trying to have multiple options depending on your accuracy in cue ball control.

This is the 9 Ball situation you're facing:

View attachment 603295
High inside, sending the cue ball 2 cushions for the 7-ball in pocket E, making sure to keep the cue ball below straight in on the 7-ball. Yes, I realize it might make it tougher for position on the 8-ball as opposed to setting up the 7-ball for pocket C, but my most comfortable go-to cue ball speed control shot is high inside.

Additionally, as I’m used to playing on a tight pocket table, I’d much rather play position to play the 7-ball to a pocket that is 2 feet away as opposed to a pocket that is 7 feet away.

Last edited:

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Good call. Take what the table gives you. Less movement on the cue ball, and if you stay under the seven you will have a good angle to get up table for the eight. KISS!
I think its got the biggest margin of error too. You can under or over hit it and still have some semblance of a shot. If you play for E and over hit it, which is easy to do, you got problems. Plus, I'd rather follow toward the 8, not draw or zig zag up table.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No cares, I'd go forward 2 rails and play for E. That said, staying under the 7 gives you 4 pocket options and position options should the ball thud or run long on you.

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm another one for less cue movement. After stopping the cue shooting the 6, then back to C for the 7, with follow on the cue to leave it on the C-side of the 8.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C is easy to get on, but the shot on 7 itself to pocket C is the hardest to execute for all the pockets except maybe D. Getting on the 7 the CB you'd probably hit the end rail then bounce back. If you don't bounce back the CB will be very close to the end rail. Wherever the CB lands when it bounced back, the hit on the 7 will be a fuller hit, and you will have to pound the CB to get it all the way to the other end of the table. If you put a bit too much left on the CB when shooting 6, you will end up on the wrong side of the 7, and the CB will brush the 9 ball on the way to the 8. Especially because you will be pounding the CB to get to the 8 so it will jump sideways a larger distance before following forward.

Of note, this diagram is the wrong size. Its clearly not a 9' diagram. I think its a 7'. The way its shown on this diagram the spacing between the 7 and 9 is close enough that it affects a few of the shots. If you reproduce this on a 9' table, while keeping the centers of the balls and the centers of the table's diamonds consistent, you will end up with a lot more space between the 7 and the 9. That can change things drastically, especially what I described above about the CB brushing the 9. I don't like these 7' table diagramming tools. I wish people would stop using them as their default.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I voted 'C'. Depending on how i was hittin' 'em(and how well i knew the table) i might go two rails forward for 'E' also.

Reactions: bbb