BAS: Boogie's Aiming System, If I can do it, so can any dum dum.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
How simple is aiming really? Why do we overthink it so damn much? This isn't going to address fundamentals because if you don't have them, you need them. Go watch a large tourney, those who finish in the money are consistent and have decent fundamentals. They don't rush and every shot is about the same pace and stance. I'm also not here to discuss minutia of CIT, friction, particle physics, how magnets work (sorry @justnum). You can pick this apart if you want, but are you sure you're wanting the "truth" or are you just making excuses for why you suck? Just shoot the damn balls into the pocket already! This isn't for ripe beginners, you're expected to know some things.

Stand 6-7 feet (or more) directly behind the OB and look into the pocket. Ignore the CB. Stand back and visualize how the OB will go into the center of the pocket. Just stand there for a while, take 20 seconds to see it, I mean, really see it, shift around slightly if you need to until you're sure, be positive that it's dead in the pocket, centered in your vision. Don't be lazy, it's gotta look right. Imagine the OB is on train tracks. Look from OB to pocket and back as if you were traveling back and forth on those train tracks. Do it until you see it. It will click and you're now positive you have the path in your mind. If the train tracks hit the corner of the pocket or another ball, you've missed, get the right path or it doesn't work. LOOK AT IT! 👀👀👀 🥲

Keep this perspective in your "mind's eye" then look at where the cue ball needs to hit the OB for it to travel down it's train tracks. Don't try anything fancy, just a center ball hit. Come down on the CB (good fundamental time) and hit it so the OB goes down those train tracks. It should go in. If it's not going in, it's probably fundamentals. Fix them or forever suffer. You're aiming a sphere to collide with another sphere, know where to collide/rub them. You can bet money that all pros, no matter what system or lack thereof they use know the contact point and how to rub spheres together. You should have thick clumps of neurons in your brain devoted to the sole purpose of knowing how two 2 1/4" spheres rub together. If you don't, practice until you do. I can't help you with this, you either want it or you make excuses. Just do it already, don't waste another 10 years on bulls###.

Now that we have 101 out of the way, lets get to some more advanced concepts. While your at the table, shut your mind up and don't be trying to feel leave, imagine angles, analyze, dont think about back pain, skateboarding squirrels or anything else. If you are doing this stuff while down on the shot, you've failed your PSR and you will suffer. You will make balls and feel like I'm full of s##t, but you'll plateau and wonder what can fix it or why you aren't able to place in the money after 30 years of playing. Shut your head up, while on the shot is not the time for it. The only decision you should be making while down at the table is speed, and that comes through your practice strokes. Your mind is quiet and you're almost hypnotized on the act of shooting the shot, it should feel like a waking dream.

While you are up and done standing there for 20 seconds (it gets faster but damn it don't rush it until you get it ingrained) decide what spin you want to use. Center ball, be it follow, stop, or draw means just shoot it. I'm not going to get into the nitpicks and semantics here, if you're on the center axis of the CB just shoot it. If you're looking at my dumb thread I'm sure you know all about CIT (cut induced throw) and all that jazz. It's important but if you don't know how spheres collide, I can't help you, practice. If using english (side spin) come down in a way that cancels out the deflection of your shaft/throw of the CB etc. Low deflection, standard deflection, or high deflection doesn't matter in the least. Keep your same damn cue and use it until you have thick clumps of neurons in your brain devoted to the sole purpose of knowing your stick. You decide english, CB leave, 2 way shots, etc. while standing. I watched a youtube video posted here and it said the table was a no thinking zone, and this is 100% correct. While down on a shot your head is clear and you're only tuned into the aim (The CB's railroad tracks to the OB) and stroking the ball good. Stroke it, don't poke it! 😂

When you "drop" into stance, address the CB with the intention of canceling out anything like throw, spin, CIT, a roll on the table, etc. But how do I know how to cancel out deflection boogie? How do I cancel out the effects of spin? Well, I have good news, it's dead easy! I'm sure you've heard the old banking trick. If your ball is on the second diamond and 4" from the rail and you're straight in line with it, you just aim to hit it straight into the rail and move 2 tips over on the CB and hit it. Have you ever had the OB come straight back and somehow not bank into the pocket? That system is bunk right? Nope, it's just you automatically adjusted to hit the OB in a way to cancel out the effects of the 2 tips english. You've already done it by ACCIDENT! How hard can it really be?! 😘 I'd suggest practicing this and see what you can learn. I can't learn this for you, but experiment with pivots and slightly thicker/thinner aims with english applied. Let the game be the teacher, if you can parse this asinine thread, you're fully capable of learning how to do this on your own. Just do it and observe what happens.

With this knowledge in your head, after you're done standing, come down on the shot line that cancels out the effects that you don't want and shoot the ball with good fundamentals and the correct speed (remember, it's a no thinking zone, thinking causes misses!). You already know what you need to do from when you thought about it while standing, so now just do it, come down on the ball correctly and shoot it well. If you're thinking or trying to adjust while down, get your butt back into standing, throw some chalk on to reset your brain and look at it again. It sounds like a pain, but you have to decide, do I want to make this ball or be lazy? There's no personal correct answer but don't cry to me that you're stuck on a plateau if you don't put the effort in to stand up and get it right this time.

That's it. Aiming really is dead simple but you have to understand how everything reacts and that is what takes time and practice.

Hopefully some of you get a chuckle out of this post, I'm trying to collect my (somewhat scrambled) thoughts on the subject, so all the trash talk was pretty much to myself and anyone who suffers the same dum dum syndrome that I do when I get lazy or fall into bad pool mode.:)

bunny.jpg

EDIT: BAS isn't really a thing, I was just having some fun with the title.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offence but i never read posts/threads that long. Aiming is not that hard to do.

boogieman

Take your word for it. Seeing ball overlaps and lining-up is just something you learn by repetition.
A cliff note version: Don't think while down on the shot, do it while standing. See OB path to pocket. See where to hit OB with CB to make OB travel on said path, you have to know how spheres collide/rub each other. Line up on the shot to cancel any effects of deflection/swerve/english/CIT/etc. Shoot the shot with good fundamentals. If you're thinking while on the shot, don't be lazy, go stand look at it again until you shut your head up. Don't think while down, shoot the shot well, stroke it don't poke it! :)

So, you quit CTE already?
I never really took it up. It has merits but this thread isn't about CTE and hopefully it doesn't get derailed into CTE like every other non CTE thread I've posted on such subjects. :)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Aaaah!
Read about train tracks many many years ago.
Training the mind's eye is legit .

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two thumbs up for the bunny pics! Not sure if the second pic is a look of confusion or approval. I guess that sums up your post either way! :)

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Yes so just hit harder is what your saying except when I need to don't need to hit harder.

I appreciate seeing the effort in the BAS.

Not enough beginning players write down in words their process.

I also suggest keeping a diagram of shots you are learning to shoot and shots you consistently miss.

Whats your process for getting back to the table after watching an opponent take a 6-0 lead in a tournament on the tv table in front of a crowd?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Take your word for it. Seeing ball overlaps and lining-up is just something you learn by repetition.

Traditionally, learning to see cb-ob overlaps has always relied on repetition/trial-and-error. But nowadays there is a useful method that determines the overlap without having to rely on trial and error.

Repetition is still a part of the process, but players are able to begin repeating correct overlaps from the start without having to first acquire the experience needed to be able to recognize the correct overlaps.

boogieman

I also suggest keeping a diagram of shots you are learning to shoot and shots you consistently miss.

Whats your process for getting back to the table after watching an opponent take a 6-0 lead in a tournament on the tv table in front of a crowd?
Good idea. Generally the shots I miss are stupidly low percentage shots or kicks (the guys I play generally don't leave me anything but a kick to come to the table with 🥲). It would be helpful to diagram them as it's hard to remember shots after several hours of play. I know when shots are too difficult to make, so if I'm going for that shot I'm playing a two way. I only count shots that miss as a miss if the opponent can see his next ball without a jump cue or some off angle kick shot with a built in scratch. They can do a few trick shots to get back in line if they're feeling froggy🐸! If they're shooting good and mentally tough enough to win after that, they earned it. Good game! (y)

No kidding, my buddies are so good that I either win with flying colors, or I feel like I've been boiled in a stew pot for 10 hours when I go home for the night. It's a hell of a lot of fun to find other players as serious about pool, it's put me through the wringer and forced me to work on fundamentals and actually improve my game. It's fun to know the shot you're taking might be the last one you get for a few racks if you mess up, but it's more fun for them to know that about me! I'm still working on that last part. 😂

My process for getting back to the table after a 6-0 lead in a tournament on the tv table in front of a crowd? I guess I would get out of bed, take a leak, get dressed, get some iced tea or coffee, have a small breakfast like maybe an egg, then go to play pool. What I'm getting at is, if I were on a tv table in a tournament, I would have to be dreaming. Hopefully it was a lucid dream so I could string together enough racks to win the set. That would get me to wake up in a good mood. If I lost in my dream I'd just think, oh, it was a dream, time to play better so I don't lose like that in real life! ;)

If you really get into ANYTHING and devote enough mental resources to it there is a big chance you will dream about it. Many genius inventors like Tesla came up with their ideas in dreams or daydreaming. I've often found that if I'm tuned into something enough to be dreaming about it, the dreams will actually teach and give you revelations about said activity. I'm no neuroscientist, but it's my understanding that dreams play a part in cementing memories into your memory banks. There's only 24 hours in a day, so any pool I play while sleeping is a welcomed thing, essentially our brain is working the night shift to get us better at pool. At least when you're dreaming about pool, you're not sabotaging yourself with unhelpful thoughts at the table and that's good practice. The table is a no thinking zone, so is your dream world. I'm not joking when I say this, if you're playing pool and you can get to the state where it feels like a waking dream, you'll probably play close to your top level. I've talked to people that were shooting the lights out and they basically say it feels like they are unconscious, dreaming, or hypnotized. I think most people call it the zone. The zone is getting easier to get to since I've been spending a few more seconds actually looking at the balls and designating the table a no thinking zone.

Now if it weren't just a dream, I would just get up there as if we're starting the set. No use getting bothered by how the opponent played. My goal when I get a turn at the table is to win and not make dumb mistakes, it's no use letting their performance get in my head. When they get back to the table, they better know how to kick or jump really well if I did everything right. I didn't miscue this time as I did remember my chalk before every shot, so they aren't getting BIH unless they earned it! 😇

Traditionally, learning to see cb-ob overlaps has always relied on repetition/trial-and-error. But nowadays there is a useful method that determines the overlap without having to rely on trial and error.

Repetition is still a part of the process, but players are able to begin repeating correct overlaps from the start without having to first acquire the experience needed to be able to recognize the correct overlaps.
Agreed, it's probably why you get such strong players at a young age, that and they have fundamentals and instructional resources nowadays. I'm too old to have had access to them when starting, so now I have to make like a tomato and ketchup! Having over half of the million balls hit, it does make it easier to determine if something is legit or not. It's definitely less mentally taxing to learn to play with things like good aiming systems (beetlejuice, beetlejuice, beet... oh man that was close!) :eek: Now I basically stay down at the table and analyze every shot. I pay particular attention to canceling out deflection on my shots, it's fun, kind of like using a traditional double edge razor or straight razor to shave with. Gotta keep the focus so you don't let the red stuff out at the table. Sharks can smell it from a quarter of a mile away so it pays to be careful else one become chum! But in all seriousness, it's amazing how well humans can learn their equipment and just how precise we can be, you just have to pay attention to it and get enough play time. Any system that can help with this is good in my book. No system is automatic, it still takes a human interface to preform, but a good system helps the person do the correct thing with less trouble. A system can sometimes be as simple as a buddy telling you how to shoot a dicey shot when you ask them. No need to re-invent the wheel when they're already cruising around on them.