smoking or no smoking

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
My vision is for a room like the local "Red Lobster" building where you walk into a lobby and there is a room on the left and a room on the right. One is smoking and one is non. Both are closed doors so no cross over smoke. It offers the additional revenue opportunity of high end cigar sales in addition to food and bar revenue IMHO. I have never seen such a set up in person but it seems friendly to all concerned with added income. Here in Georgia, (at least in my town) smoking indoors is still allowed in bars, and this set up would qualify.
There was a place in Russellville Arkansas like that

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smoking is a vile addictive habit whether smokers will admit or or not. Smokers look like they are getting a fix while they are smoking because they are. First thing in the morning guess what they do, time for a cigarette, classic addiction. The areas around stop signs are littered with butts. Smokers drive down the road tossing the spent butt and filter wherever they like. Another way you can be sure they know it's bad. How many smokers do you see with the windows of their cars rolled up while they smoke? Just about none, why cause it stinks. Their cloths stink, their bodies stink, their homes stink, their cars stink, cigarettes are nasty. They are addictive as well and are a contributing cause of so many diseases. Cigarettes should have been banned years ago..

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Holy cow you don't know how lucky you were!
Never know, might have caught on... then franchised.
__ UPDATE (July/10/2021) __
Went down there couple weeks ago, that steak place folded up... LONG time ago, the place once again sits vacant.

Last edited:

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Before covid it was 80/20 smoking/non-smoking in the places I played. Restaurants were allowed to open up before bars so many used their restaurant license to open which do not allow smoking inside. Some took advantage of the downtime to clean-up and remodel. Most never allowed smoking back inside. Now only one place still allows smoking inside.

I always heard the argument how places would lose so much business if they stopped allowing smoking, but I have not witnessed this. They grumbled at first, but then got used to stepping outside. Even if they lose a couple patrons, they can now gain people that were avoiding them because of the smoke. I love it. I don't stink (of smoke) when I get home, and I get more table time when they step out.

Geosnookery

I’ve never smoked anything in my life...not even once.

It’s been over 30 years here in Canada since smoking was permitted in any places I frequent. I have some knowledge of 45 or 50 fellow billiard players outside of the sport...through our dance group, hiking, ball hockey, etc. I don’t know of any who smoke. Or, if they do, it must be in private as smoking in our social circle had a stigma of being ‘retarded’.

I’d guess about half drink alcohol. However, can’t recall anyone getting ‘drunk’ in the last couple decades. Years ago guys would joke about getting hammered. These days getting drunk is as if you hung a sign around your neck that reads ‘village idiot’.

Anyways, I wouldn’t enter any place to play pool or to do anything else if there was smoking permitted. I don’t know anyone who would. Places in the USA are just a different culture than where I live....perhaps COPD is so common it’s part of the local culture.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Smoking is out of Vogue, few place allow smoking inside public places. Except is VFW, American Legion type private Clubs, and Cigar lounges.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
You can't smoke anywhere outdoors and only in small areas of a patio in the Beautiful Downtown Burbank area.

You can't smoke anywhere outdoors or indoors in a public place like a pool room in the City of Calabasas just North of LA LA Land.

PS: If Room owners still allow smoking then they should install electronic air cleaners in a number of places to keep the air decent. In Grand Junction, Colorado we had a unit above each set of bowling lanes and you could not tell anyone was smoking.
Electronic air cleaners do not do enough.

LWW

MEMGO5
Silver Member
I am an ex smoker, I quit in 1992.

I despise the smell of tobacco after this much time.

That being said, smoking vs non smoking should be at the sole discretion of the business owner with a legal obligation to do no more than post a sign on the entrance(s) designating whether it is a smoking or non smoking establishment.

As a libertarian I cannot see any moral justification for the non smoking crowd to impose their will on the smokers, or vice versa.

chenjy9

The pool hall I go to periodically only allows smoking in the outside patio area. I personally would never patron any place that allows for smoking indoors. Not interested in breathing that crap in or going home with the smell.

Reactions: bbb

LWW

MEMGO5
Silver Member
The pool hall I go to periodically only allows smoking in the outside patio area. I personally would never patron any place that allows for smoking indoors. Not interested in breathing that crap in or going home with the smell.
That is how capitalism/libertarianism is opposed to work.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am an ex smoker, I quit in 1992.

I despise the smell of tobacco after this much time.

That being said, smoking vs non smoking should be at the sole discretion of the business owner with a legal obligation to do no more than post a sign on the entrance(s) designating whether it is a smoking or non smoking establishment.

As a libertarian I cannot see any moral justification for the non smoking crowd to impose their will on the smokers, or vice versa.
the thing is the smokers are imposing their will on the non smokers via second hand smoke
jmho

LWW

MEMGO5
Silver Member
the thing is the smokers are imposing their will on the non smokers via second hand smoke
jmho
Actually, it’s local government inflicting it’s will.

It should be the business owner’s call what’s best for them.

It should be the patrons call what’s best for them.

I wouldn’t frequent a smoking pool hall, but I have no right to tell someone they can’t frequent one.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Actually, it’s local government inflicting it’s will.

It should be the business owner’s call what’s best for them.

It should be the patrons call what’s best for them.

I wouldn’t frequent a smoking pool hall, but I have no right to tell someone they can’t frequent one.
If you were the owner and made it non smoking
Arent you telling them

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No our system protects people from harming others that are innocent
Non-smokers are innocent and should not be harmed from secondhand smoke
You stop at a red light so that there is order in crossing the roadway and don’t smack into somebody

LWW

MEMGO5
Silver Member
No our system protects people from harming others that are innocent
Non-smokers are innocent and should not be harmed from secondhand smoke
You stop at a red light so that there is order in crossing the roadway and don’t smack into somebody
A simple sign posted on the entrance fixes that.

To use your analogy accurately, we should have streets without automobiles.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Arizona is not smoking friendly about only places is out of doors, private clubs like VFW, Legion, etc. Cigar & Hooka lounges.

Metro Spots bar has outside patio to smoke.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
The jabs are bringing entertainment venue property rights to the forefront.

'bout time.

Jeff Livingston

PracticeChampion

No smoking around Ohio that I've ran into. Every hall or bar has a separate room outside and everyone I know appreciates it, even the smokers. Back in the day some places would get so smokey your eyes were burning, heck I probably smoked 1000 cartons even without smoking LoL. Only stink problem I have now is the places that fry food and have terrible ventilation. The one place is so bad that everything has to be cleaned the next day , hats, cue cases,stick, glove etc cause if not it'll stink for a week or more